On Scarlet Now Nov 5

conandrob240

4 hours ago, rebeccac said:

If it makes you feel any better, almost nobody bothers to have the bed converted to a couch during the day.  However, I absolutely agree with you that the "mattresses" need to change.

Really? Why? It’s so much nicer having the space during the day! If this is true though, then it’s extra stupid to even have the couch concept

7 minutes ago, conandrob240 said:

Really? Why? It’s so much nicer having the space during the day! If this is true though, then it’s extra stupid to even have the couch concept

I don't know of many people who bother with the daily conversion from bed to couch, but maybe I just haven't run into them.  

So rest of cruise:

Food remains exceptional. No fall off from our first cruise. Haven’t rotated all the way around yet but favorites so far: chowder and bone marrow at the Wake, everything from Pink Agave, the ramen from the Galley. All the food is wonderful. I LOVE that you now order at the various counters on your own rather than sitting and finding a server- we didn’t love that last time and this works much, much better. Room service food is incredible! The bolognese is some of the best ever!

other than the bed, the room is very good. I was worried about storage space- there’s plenty. They hammock is awesome (we bought two after we can back from our last cruise!). The bathroom is small but the rain shower head is great. Love the water decanters. Our room person is fine- not particularly friendly but mostly does what is asked and does it efficiently. 

entertainment is mixed. Two of the three bands/ solos we’ve seen around the ship are just so- so. One is really good (flute loops). We saw Ships in the Night last night and the lead was a great singer. Many great dancers. Weak story line. We have a magician/ comedian tonight and it’s Scarlet night which was fun last cruise. 

Edited by conandrob240
  • Like 5

OMG , this will no-doubt be a one and only cruise for us if that is true about the bed . We are seasoned cruisers  just in a balcony room this trip to see what Virgin is all about , but if our bed is couch quality it is a total deal breaker for us . Beds on Celebrity , RCCL , NCL , Princess have been fine - proper beds.- 4 inches of foam does not a bed make ., 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hammo said:

OMG , this will no-doubt be a one and only cruise for us if that is true about the bed . We are seasoned cruisers  just in a balcony room this trip to see what Virgin is all about , but if our bed is couch quality it is a total deal breaker for us . Beds on Celebrity , RCCL , NCL , Princess have been fine - proper beds.- 4 inches of foam does not a bed make ., 

Yes fine on other lines because they are beds. These are couches. Fairly comfortable for a couch. Definitely not for a bed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Do you guys think a 2-4 inch inflatable camp mattress underneath would help? Did anyone snap a pic of the cover pulled back? I feel like I will sink too far into foam topper, going soon and try to think of inexpensive possibilities... thanks! 

I stripped the bed down and even tried to see if it could be moved since we had the beds in the L configuration. They can't be moved to a normal two twins parallel. I really think the camp mattress might help, especially considering weight. 

I am taking an inflatable camp mattress just to see how it does. It weights 3.3 lbs. Since on this go around the bed will be in a traditional lay out I figured I could snag the extra comforter and put it on the side or even add it to the top.

• Like 1

Since I have not seen this set up for myself, where do you think is the best place to put the camp mattress? I don't plan to use the bed in the L configuration at all, just one queen size? Being that we have our own cabins, and my friend and I are next to each other, we're hoping to open up the divider panel out on the balcony and use that as our hangout space. 

Edited by TheDarkestBlue

12 hours ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Since I have not seen this set up for myself, where do you think is the best place to put the camp mattress? I don't plan to use the bed in the L configuration at all, just one queen size? Being that we have our own cabins, and my friend and I are next to each other, we're hoping to open up the divider panel out on the balcony and use that as our hangout space. 

I would figure out if you are a center of the bed sleeper or edge of the bed. For me I'm an edge of the bed and will usually sleep on the wall side so if I have to get up at night I don't have to walk around the bed. On one cruise I had kicked the comforter off and almost tripped on it that night. Then place the mattress where you think you will sleep. In the drawers under the cabinet they usually keep the bedding when doing twins and you can then grab the comforter from there. If that isn't enough ask them to bring you another one so you can build a topper for yourself. I actually had my steward on a Princess cruise bring me lots of extra pillows and used those. 

We've seen foood changes from our first to our most recent cruise, crew confirmed that some of the recipes had changed even when item names remained the same.  We felt that most of the recent changes were improvements, other than the evening menu in Razzle Dazzle.  The removal of the secret steak was a huge disappointment.

As to beds--fingers crossed for changes when Scarlet dry docks next summer. The whole couch flip thing and the L was an interesting experiment, but not a very successful one IMHO. The change from bed to couch is a lot of work for the room host and very rarely requested.  

Entertainment varies from one cruise to another.  Usually there is some that is quite good and some that could use improvement.  Cruise ship work is a job, but not typically viewed as the high end of the entertainment world.  Same for Happenings Cast; we've seen some great and some "not so good" cast members.