Room set up for peritoneal dialysis

jeriram

We are cruising for the first time since my SO started PD.  We will be in a veranda cabin on Crown Princess.  I was wondering if we would need an extension to the drain line to drain to the bathroom in our cabin.  Does anyone have any knowledge about this?  Also, do you drain into the shower, commode or sink?  Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised many times on both Princess and Celebrity.  My DH was on PD for quite a few years.  When we cruised, he always did manual exchanges as we felt more secure in case of any power outages or machine glitches.  At home, he drained into the commode; not sure you'd be able to do this on the ship - depending on the size of the cabin - without an extension line.  You'd definitely want to drain into the commode.

Safe travels!

That's a thoughtful consideration. Since each cruise cabin layout may differ, it couldn't hurt to contact the cruise line in advance to inquire about accessible drain options or extensions available. Wishing you both smooth sailing and hope you're able to find an easy solution!

Thank you both for replying.  Ideally, we would drain into the commode.  We are planning on using the cycler.  After hearing from you both and thinking about it, I will bring extension lines with us for the whole trip.  We will also ask for one round of manuals in case of power issues.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We cruise often, but only on Norwegian (hooked on the Haven).  We have only used manuals on the ship but have had no issues emptying into the head (commode for non-naval service types).  You may have to meet with the environmental officer but it's normally handled by the nurse in medical.  I just give them the paper that comes in each box explaining the fluid composition.  Never had an issue.