QM2 model ship

Graeme1873

Hi there. 

Bit of an odd question.  I have managed to drop and break our much loved model of the QM2 that we purchased on our first transatlantic voyage a few years ago - see photo.

Is anyone aware of whether these are still sold on board and if there is any way to purchase one without actually being on the ship? I did reach out to Cunard and while they did respond and tried to answer they basically said you have to be on board the ship to buy gifts and couldn’t confirm whether they were till sold. We do have another trip on QM 2 booked for summer 2025 so worst case will just wait til then and see.

thanks

Donald

96C85DAF-AEBE-468F-9BE6-50894122A5EB.jpeg

31 minutes ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Ouch!  I would try to repair, as this is a model pre-remastering in 2017 and thus has the ship's original configuration.  The new models may have the post 2017 config with the added BC cabins on Deck 13.  

I know - I am gutted ☹️ I did think about trying to repair it but I’m hopeless at that sort of thing ! 🙈. Perhaps I could take it to a model shop and see if they can help?  

There was no sign of any such model or anything similar for sale on our last several QM2 voyages. Our last voyage was this past September. The only QM2 models I saw for sale were made of crystal I believe. Elegant but not particularly accurate or detailed.

1 hour ago, Graeme1873 said:

I know - I am gutted ☹️ I did think about trying to repair it but I’m hopeless at that sort of thing ! 🙈. Perhaps I could take it to a model shop and see if they can help?  

I would bet that in the right kind of hobby shop (not a big chain, in other words) you would find an enthusiast who would love the challenge (perhaps for a small remuneration).

16 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

There was no sign of any such model or anything similar for sale on our last several QM2 voyages. Our last voyage was this past September. The only QM2 models I saw for sale were made of crystal I believe. Elegant but not particularly accurate or detailed.

Oh that’s a shame. I think they are great mementos and we bought a similar one of Queen Victoria this summer on our trip to Spain. Anyway guess I’ll need to go down the repair route. Here’s hoping 🙏 

• Like 1

Yes! Repair!  It will have even more meaning for you despite (because of?) any lingering scars or imperfections.  Were we closer, I would offer the services of my husband, who is a superb modeler and never shies away from a repair/rehabilitation.  I am sure there are many like him in your corner of the UK.

3 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I see you are from Southampton. I think there is a Men’s shed group in Shirley ? They might know someone into modelling. There used to be an  independent shop in Salisbury too. 

That’s a really good idea. Hadn’t heard of Men’s Sheds before but seems to be a great way to meet people and keep busy 👍 will defo look into it.

1 hour ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Yes! Repair!  It will have even more meaning for you despite (because of?) any lingering scars or imperfections.  Were we closer, I would offer the services of my husband, who is a superb modeler and never shies away from a repair/rehabilitation.  I am sure there are many like him in your corner of the UK.

Yes you are right. I’ll hopefully appreciate it even more 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graeme1873 said:

That’s a really good idea. Hadn’t heard of Men’s Sheds before but seems to be a great way to meet people and keep busy 👍 will defo look into it.

Yes you are right. I’ll hopefully appreciate it even more 👍

They came to a charity event I attended in town.  and brought loads of nice things they had made for sale. The contact was through Monty’s . - a community based charity if it wasn’t Shirley it was  Swathling. I Hope you get something sorted I am sure you will get it repaired. 

• Like 1