Guest Passing Away

beryjastry

On 11/7/2023 at 10:14 AM, beryjastry said:

My wife sadly unexpectedly passed away recently and we had two future cruises booked one in Sept 2024 and one in June 2025. I informed P&O of the sad news and that I wished to cancel both cruises. I have been told that I can not get a refund on the deposits paid even under these sad circumstances they were very unsympathetic and just treated me like a booking number, not a person

Very sad - sorry for your loss - must be terrible.

There should be an exception made for bereavement - this is just not right.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Very sad - sorry for your loss - must be terrible.

There should be an exception made for bereavement - this is just not right.

A few years ago a lady who was an executor for her late Farther wrote to a Sunday paper, she had managed to get refunded all of the money that he had paid out except for his cruise. The paper tried to help and pointed out there was plenty of time for the cabin to be resold but FO replied along the lines of, due to our passengers demographics we would be inundated with requests if we allowed this. This is what insurance is for!

• Thanks 2

I have been into the TA where I booked our cruise to cancel it.  When the young lady rang P&O the person that she spoke to was adamant that because it was only 2 weeks before sailing then if we cancelled we would lose 90% of the cruise cost.  I was fully expecting to lose the money because I can't  claim on our insurance because it was not a spouse, parent or child that had passed away.  The wonderful person who was dealing with me argued the case with P&O and after almost 40 minutes they finally agreed that if I was prepared to move the cruise then they would allow me to move it to an alternative cruise at a later date.

We now have a cruise on Aurora for the same time next year for a day longer than the original one at only £30 more than the original booking.

I usually book online myself but I now realise that I probably would have lost the money if I had booked myself.

Lesson learned I will book through the TA in future, they are useful in difficult situations.

• Like 27

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have been into the TA where I booked our cruise to cancel it.  When the young lady rang P&O the person that she spoke to was adamant that because it was only 2 weeks before sailing then if we cancelled we would lose 90% of the cruise cost.  I was fully expecting to lose the money because I can't  claim on our insurance because it was not a spouse, parent or child that had passed away.  The wonderful person who was dealing with me argued the case with P&O and after almost 40 minutes they finally agreed that if I was prepared to move the cruise then they would allow me to move it to an alternative cruise at a later date.

We now have a cruise on Aurora for the same time next year for a day longer than the original one at only £30 more than the original booking.

I usually book online myself but I now realise that I probably would have lost the money if I had booked myself.

Lesson learned I will book through the TA in future, they are useful in difficult situations.

I'm glad there was such a satisfactory outcome. It sounds like a very good TA, if the person you dealt with is typical of their staff. It's a pity that forum rules don't allow you to name the TA.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jh1809 said:

I'm glad there was such a satisfactory outcome. It sounds like a very good TA, if the person you dealt with is typical of their staff. It's a pity that forum rules don't allow you to name the TA.

I can't name them because of the forum rules but a few years ago a large TA went under and someone who sounds like horse food bought out a lot of their shops.

I am going into town this morning and I am taking some chocolates in for the ladies in there.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I can't name them because of the forum rules but a few years ago a large TA went under and someone who sounds like horse food bought out a lot of their shops.

I am going into town this morning and I am taking some chocolates in for the ladies in there.

I remember them; Neighs Travel who bought out Tommy Chef.

• Haha 2