Oporto, Portugal

Has anyone been to Oporto? Any suggestions on what to see. Are cabs available at the port?

Was in Oporto a few years ago.and I thought it was a really neat place...loved the sidewalks as they are mostly mosaic.There are some historic buildings to see,but we just wandered around town,and enjoyed the scenery and the people.We did not use a taxi,but I am sure they are at the port.Hope this helps a little.I am sure you will enjoy the stop there.

Oporto is a lovely little town and of course the thing to do is to visit some of the winery's and taste and buy some lovely ports. Tried (and bought) some white port - never knew there was such as white.

There are plenty of taxi's.

Hi, I'm going there in June for a few days, so have done a fair amount of research. Cabs are cheap, apparently, but there is also an airport shuttle bus to hotels, which is quite cheap, and gives you a pass on parts of their transport system for that day. When are you going? Have you got a hotel yet??

Hi, I'm going there in June for a few days, so have done a fair amount of research. Cabs are cheap, apparently, but there is also an airport shuttle bus to hotels, which is quite cheap, and gives you a pass on parts of their transport system for that day. When are you going? Have you got a hotel yet??

WE'LL ONLY BE THERE FOR A DAY, ARRIVING ON A CRUISE SHIP IN AUGUST. THIS IS ONE PORT WHERE THEY REALLY DON'T HAVE ANY GOOD TOURS OFFERED SO WE'RE GOING TO GO OFF ON OUR OWN. WOULD LIKE TO GET YOUR REPORT AFTER YOU RETURN.

Sure, no problem. I'll try to find this thread then, or post in another thread.

I have good advice that you must cross over the river and visit the port lodges, and have a seafood meal if you can.

The World Heritage part of the city is apparently quite compact, so is doable on foot, but be prepared for climbing (hills). There's also good transit, but will know when I get back. I'm only staying in Porto for two days, then driving north to visit some of the smaller centres. Here's one good website:

http://www.portoturismo.pt/en/init/default1.asp . I think there's info on walking tours somewhere there.

• 4 weeks later...
Sure, no problem. I'll try to find this thread then, or post in another thread.

I have good advice that you must cross over the river and visit the port lodges, and have a seafood meal if you can.

The World Heritage part of the city is apparently quite compact, so is doable on foot, but be prepared for climbing (hills). There's also good transit, but will know when I get back. I'm only staying in Porto for two days, then driving north to visit some of the smaller centres. Here's one good website:

http://www.portoturismo.pt/en/init/default1.asp . I think there's info on walking tours somewhere there.[/QUOT

WENDY:

THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK.............WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU'D JUST EMAIL ME WITH YOUR THOUGHTS WHEN YOU GET BACK......."LMSMINK@AOL.COM"

i'D BASICALLY PLANNED TO WANDER AND "SAMPLE" WHILE WE'RE THERE, BUT WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IF THERE'S ANYTHING BETTER TO DO/SEE IN PORT THAN GET INEBRIATED "SAMPLING"!

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm back. We spent two days (three nights) in Porto. Had a great time. Didn't come via a cruise ship (this was a post-cruise trip).

Cabs are abundant, reliable and cheap, very cheap. Just close your eyes, because they drive very fast. There is also a very good transit system, but I would not bother.

Take a cab to the tourist area, near the Ribeira. You can wander from there. There's a row of nice seafood restaurants right on the riverside, where you can have lunch. You can walk across the bridge to Vila Nova de Gaia, on the other side of the river--that's where all the port wine lodges are, or take a cab. You can take a port wine tour, for a few euros. There's a free one at Taylor's, but it's a long, hot, uphill walk. So we chose Sandeman, and it was a very nice tour, in cool cellars, with some nice tasting at the end. The views across, and up and down, the river are stunning. You can also take a tour boat on the river if you like, they leave every hour or so from the foot of the main square in the old town, and probably from the other side as well. We didn't do this, but it looked like fun.

There's also a beautiful church near the Ribiera, St. Francis Monument. Doesn't look like much from the outside, but the inside of the church is spectacular. There are also crypts, and a creepy ossuary full of human bones.

So, just ask away. Oh, and wear good walking shoes!

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience; this is very helpful because there isn't much info on Oporto on these boards. It sounds like you were there for a day like we will be during our port stop. We appreciate the tip regarding the Sandeman port tour and the church. The boat ride sounds nice. Did you find the cabs to be readily available during the day?

I was reading my Frommers Portugal guide the other night and noted that the writer gave this location the highest rating (3 stars), so between that and your notes, I'm really excited about visiting Oporto. I hope you had a great trip, and thanks again for sharing. :)

Donna

Donna, no we were there independently, for 2 full days. I was trying to describe what you could, on a port stop, see in one day. After a port stop in Lisbon, I would say this is a much better one-day, since if there is easy access to the historic part of the city from the ship, it can all be done independently, if you are good walkers.

Yes, the cabs were easy to find. I'm not sure you could flag them, but there were cabstands in lots of places.

Yes, we really enjoyed ourselves, I've still got the holiday glow!

it will kill your lisbon stop. so if you have seen enough of lisbon then take the train. warning-very few english speakers and train instructions hard to follow. now i am a port collector and in lisbon go to the national port musuem "the port wine institute" and more importantly tasting room. snacks and cigars, aaahhhh it was heaven.

Sorry, don't understand that last post. I was not suggesting going to Porto for the day from Lisbon, just to be clear. We did steer clear of the trains, since I was a bit nervous about the language problems. But I would probably try them the next time, if I manage to get there again. But I'm sure you can either take a ship's shuttle or a cab from the port at Porto.

it will kill your lisbon stop. so if you have seen enough of lisbon then take the train. warning-very few english speakers and train instructions hard to follow. now i am a port collector and in lisbon go to the national port musuem "the port wine institute" and more importantly tasting room. snacks and cigars, aaahhhh it was heaven.

I've never been to Oporto, but someday...

I did spend several days in Lisbon and I'm embarrassed to tell you how many hours of "study" I put in at the Institute od Port. ;)

I brought home several bottles of the '77 and '85 Vintage Ports. When I do get to Oporto, I might try to locate a '63 or two. That would be living.:p

brought back 5 bottles myself. did you take the tram up the 55 degree street from the plaza or try to walk it?

for my brothers 50th my younger bro. and i bought him a '55 taylor. we gave it to him on the condition that we drink it together. it was excellent but i have had some grahams and dows that were as good or better.

brought back 5 bottles myself. did you take the tram up the 55 degree street from the plaza or try to walk it?

for my brothers 50th my younger bro. and i bought him a '55 taylor. we gave it to him on the condition that we drink it together. it was excellent but i have had some grahams and dows that were as good or better.

Actually, we made two trips to the institute.;) We walked the first time, the second time we took the tram.

Archived