MDR or Epicurean for Christmas Day Dinner ?

room with a view

Not sure if Epicurean is open for Christmas dinner and if it is what the menu would be.

Only ever had one Christmas dinner on a P&O ship and whilst it was probably better than most other MDR meals I was left somewhat underwhelmed - the whole experience lacked any "wow" factor - I am sure there will be others with the opposite experience.

Christmas Day is normally a formal/black tie/gala (or whatever other description they are using this week!) and with Epicurean being a smaller venue there would be a better ambience.

Another point to bear in mind is whether you are on club or freedom dining and if club would you want to leave your table mates on Christmas Day?

If you are on freedom dining then I think if Epicurean is available and has a Christmas menu then I would go for that. (Remember that on Christmas Day and NYE freedom dining has set times)

22 hours ago, room with a view said:

We are on Freedom Dining and requested 5.30 in the MDR ( I presume) ...thanks

Epicurean is open and serves a special Christmas menu complete with wines.  It is not the normal Epicurean experience and if my memory serves me correctly it is £65pp - there is an upgrade at extra cost for champagne and better wines.

We have had Epicurean Christmas Dinner on Britannia for the past 6 years as we prefer a quite ambience and to dine alone.

The MDR you are allocated your table if you are on freedom dining  and may end up sharing with complete strangers.

We had a P&O Christmas meal on the Azura in 2021. First Christmas cruise back after Covid. We somehow got dressed in formal gear after our 10 hour trek to Barbados. 

There was a beef or Turkey option, and I wish I had gone for beef. Not a great Christmas meal- tinned carrots and undercooked potatoes. But didn’t complain as we were that shattered! There was an option for Epicurean, and in hindsight we wish we had gone for it!