Olympic Torch route 2024 could impact French port calls

edinburgher

The Olympic Torch route through France will begin in Marseille on May 8th when the torch arrives by sea  from Greece and is handed over to the host country.

From there it will travel through many many cities and towns in France before arriving in Paris for the opening ceremony on July 26.

These include not only port cities, such as Brest, le Havre, Bordeaux, Nice, Toulon, le Havre  (and several others) but also MANY other cities and towns some of which are visited by cruise pax, including Avignon, Carcassonne,Montpellier, Mont-St-Michel, Honfleur, some of the WW11 Normandy Beaches and many others, dates and locations  for which which can be found on official Olympic  Flame route websites, also city/town/ regional websites.

Likely that there could be some disruption to travel plans depending on the time of day when the torch is expected.

If in Marseille on May8th 2024, the arrival of the Olympic Torch may actually give your day an opportunity to view something rather special,  as plans are apparently afoot for the arrival to include a "grand maritime parade of welcome". and a ceremony of some description.

It will arrive from Greece at the Vieux Port onboard a three-masted "barque" but as yet I don't know if timing has been given, but whatever the timing is, it could all be quite a spectacle to observe.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We're scheduled to be in Marseilles that day! I'm hoping that there's something extra or some sort of special event that we might get to see. And if it changes our port, so be it. We'll have to see what happens.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

We're scheduled to be in Marseilles that day! I'm hoping that there's something extra or some sort of special event that we might get to see

See my post #2.  There were plans for" a grand welcome maritime parade" although no other details were available at the time I posted.  You could periodically check online for  any definite plans.

Ii don't think it would impact your port call as the cruise terminal at FOS is several miles outside  of the city, and the torch handover and any maritime parade are to be held at the Vieux Port in the city centre.  I think whatever eventually goes ahead could be a wonderful addition to your day.😀

13 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

And if it changes our port, so be it. We'll have to see what happens.

It only ocurred to me sometime later, that although the ship call may not be impacted, there is a high probability that the cruiseline  shuttle buses will be.

This because they usually drop off and pick up very close to the Vieux Port/Fort St Jean/MUCEM, and if there is an event in the Vieux Port, there may well be road closures and/or diversions in place in the immediate area, meaning shuttle buses may have to use different drop off and pick up locations so these could change, but that I do not know for certain and you may only find out on the day.

8 hours ago, edinburgher said:

It only ocurred to me sometime later, that although the ship call may not be impacted, there is a high probability that the cruiseline  shuttle buses will be.

This because they usually drop off and pick up very close to the Vieux Port/Fort St Jean/MUCEM, and if there is an event in the Vieux Port, there may well be road closures and/or diversions in place in the immediate area, meaning shuttle buses may have to use different drop off and pick up locations so these could change, but that I do not know for certain and you may only find out on the day.

Yes, that's why I said we'll have to wait and see what comes up and what changes for us. Not a big deal, we'll go with the flow. But it would be fun if we got to see some of the events going on.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 1/8/2024 at 5:11 PM, kctwinmommy said:

But it would be fun if we got to see some of the events going on.

i just now had a look to see if any timings have been given and they have.

As I am wary of posting website links, try googling "the Olympic flame arrives in Marseille" and the Official Marseille Tourism website should appear in results. Clicking that link took me directly onto the dedicated page. On it there is a fuller description than I am posting.

In brief, the three masted  ship Belem will arrive in the vicinity of the harbour around 1130am, and sail around the Corniche Kennedy and the greater harbour in general, before arriving into the Vieux Port at  approx. 5pm and mooring around 7pm. It is expected that the "Belem" will be accompanied by a large flotilla of vessels.

There will be a specially constructed very long pontoon at the Vieux Port built with an athletic track above which will also have the Olympic cauldron on it..There will be giant screens, grandstands and other structures as there is to be a ceremony, concert and fireworks display that evening.

I would therefore assume that ship shuttles on May8th  will likely be relocated to a different central area instead of the area by the Vieux Port.

I would also assume that calls to Marseille in the preceding days might also be impacted to allow for the infrastructure to be erected, and possibly for a day or two afterwards for the clearing away operation.

Edited by edinburgher

@edinburgher - yep we were notified last week we're going to Toulon instead. Still not sure on what the excursions will be like. They were almost all sold out when I went to look, about 25 minutes after the emailed me. We booked the included. However, I have the Rick Steves book though, which talks about the way to get to Marseille pretty easily. So we might try to do that. I'd love to see the fanfare!

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 3:39 PM, kctwinmommy said:

we were notified last week we're going to Toulon instead.

Toulon is a port of two parts, Toulon itself, and the other is  la Seyne-sur Mer. You could be in either.  There are frequent trains from Toulon to Marseille St Charles, the main train station.

Remember to validate your tickets in one of the yellow machines before boarding a train as you otherwise risk a fine.

In case you are at la Seyne, you would find it helpful to read about transport options and shuttles there.

I do not like to post links to websites, but if you have not heard of it before now, a really useful information website for cruise passengers is "whatsinport", much much more than its name suggests and I think you will be pleased with what you find there..  Google that followed by the name of your port for all sorts of helpful info uniquely for cruise passengers.

Expect Marseille to be busy busy that day, but buzzing too.  I really do not think you need an excursion there unless you particularly want one.

Edited by edinburgher

On 3/24/2024 at 4:39 PM, kctwinmommy said:

yep we were notified last week we're going to Toulon instead.

1 hour ago, edinburgher said:

Remember to validate your tickets in one of the yellow machines before boarding a train as you otherwise risk a fine.

Toulon is a fairly big station and unlike many around the region these days should have a manned ticket counter and several machines. However these days many tickets are bought online and displayed in an app. It might save time at the station if you buy on the app. If you buy on the app you obviously can't use the machines. 

Here's a link to the site associated with the app: https://www.sncf-connect.com/

This doesn't apply in the South Region (PACA) at present, but due to the reduction in paper ticket use SNCF have started removing the yellow machines. This article (in French) tells you about it. You may need to translate in a browser if you don't read French.

https://www.quechoisir.org/actualite-sncf-ce-qui-change-avec-la-disparition-des-bornes-de-compostage-n105698/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, D&N said:
6 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Toulon is a fairly big station and unlike many around the region these days should have a manned ticket counter and several machines. However these days many tickets are bought online and displayed in an app. It might save time at the station if you buy on the app. If you buy on the app you obviously can't use the machines. 

Here's a link to the site associated with the app: https://www.sncf-connect.com/

This doesn't apply in the South Region (PACA) at present, but due to the reduction in paper ticket use SNCF have started removing the yellow machines. This article (in French) tells you about it. You may need to translate in a browser if you don't read French.

https://www.quechoisir.org/actualite-sncf-ce-qui-change-avec-la-disparition-des-bornes-de-compostage-n105698/

I only casually referenced the machines as I thought they would travel by train and may not know about the validation requirement.  i am  sure that kctwinmommy will appreciate the updated info, as will others reading the thread.

• Like 1