Overbooked charter flight

English Tim

5 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I agree wholeheartedly that if Tui had more planes then they could have helped. I read your comment as Tui not supplying the full quota of aircraft they had contracted for. I’m trying to be fair and not blame Tui for something which wasn’t their fault.

I believe the contract for Maleth was announced as being for one season. I believe options for next year are still being finalised.

My thoughts are that Virgin and BA are still due to receive more new planes next year. If these are used to increase their fleet then it may create capacity which P&O can buy on Fridays and Saturdays.

And/or people might actually enjoy flying with Maleth?

48 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I agree wholeheartedly that if Tui had more planes then they could have helped. I read your comment as Tui not supplying the full quota of aircraft they had contracted for. I’m trying to be fair and not blame Tui for something which wasn’t their fault.

I believe the contract for Maleth was announced as being for one season. I believe options for next year are still being finalised.

My thoughts are that Virgin and BA are still due to receive more new planes next year. If these are used to increase their fleet then it may create capacity which P&O can buy on Fridays and Saturdays.

That sounds rather airy fairy then!  Very doubtful Virgin will have spare capacity so assumedly seats on their scheduled aircraft will be the only option there.  Virgin have massive route expansion plans and their final aircraft orders are due end of 2024 so I'd imagine stil no spare capacity.

https://corporate.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/media/press-releases/new-routes-across-three-continents.html

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

And/or people might actually enjoy flying with Maleth?

As much as people can enjoy long haul flights?

I’m one of these who doesn’t care for seat back TVs on flights. I take an iPad and noise cancelling headphones. That way I can watch what I want!

Everything else should be the same (except Premium cabin).

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

That sounds rather airy fairy then!  Very doubtful Virgin will have spare capacity so assumedly seats on their scheduled aircraft will be the only option there.  Virgin have massive route expansion plans and their final aircraft orders are due end of 2024 so I'd imagine stil no spare capacity.

https://corporate.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/media/press-releases/new-routes-across-three-continents.html

They are also dropping routes such as Houston.The problem is that new plane delivery dates only get confirmed 2-4 months out.

13 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I’m one of these who doesn’t care for seat back TVs on flights. I take an iPad and noise cancelling headphones. That way I can watch what I want!

Everything else should be the same (except Premium cabin).

Well the main thing for P and O should be to only offer premium economy to people who they can ensure will  get it I suppose (subject to last minute flight issues of course)

• Like 3

Tui, as do many other airlines, increase their fleet in busy periods by leasing planes from other companies. My daughter is crew on Tui based from Gatwick, and this summer she completed extra training due to being on different planes, to fly for 5 months on Avion Express. They were still Tui flights, with Tui crew and catering etc. Tui also used this company in 2022 to increase their number of planes available. She did say that passengers were surprised to see a plain white plane, but after that everything was fine.

I realise this may be different to what is happening with Maleth, but it seems to be quite common. So even when booking direct with Tui, you could end up on planes from leasing airlines. BA have also been using Avion Express planes out of Gatwick.

I think the problem with what has happened this P&O Caribbean season is due to the lack of Premium Economy, and possible P&O should have been aware of this to enable correct information to be provided. But with fly-cruises being booked so far in advance, currently up to April 2026, how can that work? Who knows what the situation will be in 3 years time. Flights are usually only available for booking 11 months in advance, so it's all guesswork really.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Okay that's it for this season. 

Not strictly true to say ‘that’s it for this season’. There are still cabins being sold for Caribbean cruises this season, and presumably if you book a cabin with a flight from Manchester right now then you get a seat on a Maleth flight, as I assume that the Tui seats have gone. . I guess if you try to book with a travel agent then they will tell their clients the story. If you book with P&O by phone then hopefully the call centre staff are briefed. But if you look at the current website there is nothing there about flights. True, no promise about premium economy, but also nothing to correct any assumptions that a purchaser might have. 

10 minutes ago, kermchem said:

Not strictly true to say ‘that’s it for this season’. There are still cabins being sold for Caribbean cruises this season, and presumably if you book a cabin with a flight from Manchester right now then you get a seat on a Maleth flight, as I assume that the Tui seats have gone. . I guess if you try to book with a travel agent then they will tell their clients the story. If you book with P&O by phone then hopefully the call centre staff are briefed. But if you look at the current website there is nothing there about flights. True, no promise about premium economy, but also nothing to correct any assumptions that a purchaser might have. 

The season starts in October and concludes in March, therefore we are in the 2023/4 season and we know the flight arrangements are either TUI or Maleth for those cruises. If someone booking asks their travel agent or the P&O call centre who their flight will be with it can be checked.  If however someone chooses to use the website they will not know, but then for many many years that has been the case.

There is no reason that seats are not available on TUI flights unless seeking PE. People do cancel and flights may be allocated by the algorithm.  Of course many panicked and wanted to swap but I would bet there will be seats on those aircraft.  People used to want to avoid Thomas Cook in just the same way but they took what was offered.

My reference to the next two "seasons" is because anyone booking may find themselves in the exact position we are in now if it's a late panic to source aircraft.

Edited by Megabear2