UK Beverage Package dilemma (Odyssey of the Seas)

Mrs_TC

Hi all, old member whose account disappeared 😩, hope you can help.  We haven’t cruised since 2019, and back then we always managed to get the Beverage packages included at time of booking.

We have a 7 night sailing on Odyssey of the Seas next July, and because we’re based in the UK, we don’t seem to get BOGOF deals (or email promotions) for beverage packages, so I’m just checking the app every few days for discounts.

At the moment, Deluxe Beverage Package is £64 pp/per day, so £448 in total, while the Refresh bev package is £23.89 pp (£167.23 for the week).

That’s the lowest I’ve seen so far, especially for the Deluxe package, and I know that USUALLY the best thing to do is to buy the package when it’s low, then cancel and rebook if the price drops nearer the time.

My dilemma is that due to medical reasons (I can only drink 1 alcoholic drink a day and often don’t bother) RC have given me permission to buy the Refreshment package for myself while Mr TC has the deluxe beverage package, so I have to buy the packages over the phone - which, I assume, means I can’t cancel and rebook should the price drop?

Also, we can do it, but it would be a stretch to pay out over £700 (1 deluxe, 2 refresh) this month on drinks for next year, and before I do so, I wondered if you experienced/frequent cruisers think £64 pp per day is the lowest the deluxe package will go for UK folks?  Or should I wait?

Thank you!

Yes you can cancel if it drops I’d do that online then call in to rebook.  

My Anthem 7n is £59pppd incl. I’d book now to lock it in and then keep an eye on what happens when their next promo comes out next week 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mrs_TC said:

Hi all, old member whose account disappeared 😩, hope you can help.  We haven’t cruised since 2019, and back then we always managed to get the Beverage packages included at time of booking.

We have a 7 night sailing on Odyssey of the Seas next July, and because we’re based in the UK, we don’t seem to get BOGOF deals (or email promotions) for beverage packages, so I’m just checking the app every few days for discounts.

At the moment, Deluxe Beverage Package is £64 pp/per day, so £448 in total, while the Refresh bev package is £23.89 pp (£167.23 for the week).

That’s the lowest I’ve seen so far, especially for the Deluxe package, and I know that USUALLY the best thing to do is to buy the package when it’s low, then cancel and rebook if the price drops nearer the time.

My dilemma is that due to medical reasons (I can only drink 1 alcoholic drink a day and often don’t bother) RC have given me permission to buy the Refreshment package for myself while Mr TC has the deluxe beverage package, so I have to buy the packages over the phone - which, I assume, means I can’t cancel and rebook should the price drop?

Also, we can do it, but it would be a stretch to pay out over £700 (1 deluxe, 2 refresh) this month on drinks for next year, and before I do so, I wondered if you experienced/frequent cruisers think £64 pp per day is the lowest the deluxe package will go for UK folks?  Or should I wait?

Thank you!

- You're on the right track when you say, "Go ahead and book".  This means you're locked into this price, and -- IF it goes lower -- you can revisit the choice.  It's not likely to drop though; they're really pushing these packages at very high prices.  You're going on Odyssey; the bigger, newer ships do tend to command higher prices for drink packages, though the individual drinks cost the same.  

- Do consider what it'd cost for him to pay for his drinks individually /skip the package -- especially if yours is a port-heavy cruise.  You could put X amount of onboard credit on his account for this purpose.  

- You can definitely cancel and re-book, even if you need to do it over the phone.

• Like 2

Thanks both, that’s great.  

Forgot to ask (probably a daft question) - this is the first year I’ve had the app, and that’s where I’m checking the package prices.  After I’ve bought them, will I still be able to see the current prices on the app?  Or will it just tell me what I’ve bought (in which case how will I know the current prices)?

23 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Are you Diamond / Elite or higher on RCI / Celebrity?  If so, you will have vouchers for free drinks up to $15 each day.

4 for Diamond

5 for Diamond Plus

6 for Pinnacle

Sadly not, we’re only Platinum. ☺️

1 hour ago, Mrs_TC said:

Thanks both, that’s great.  

Forgot to ask (probably a daft question) - this is the first year I’ve had the app, and that’s where I’m checking the package prices.  After I’ve bought them, will I still be able to see the current prices on the app?  Or will it just tell me what I’ve bought (in which case how will I know the current prices)?

Either on the phone app or computer, you'll be able to see the current price -- and a blue box saying "Reserved" will show up over that item.  Same for any excursion, meal ressie or activity you might've reserved.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Either on the phone app or computer, you'll be able to see the current price -- and a blue box saying "Reserved" will show up over that item.  Same for any excursion, meal ressie or activity you might've reserved.  

Fantastic.  Thank you so much. ☺️

Yeah, a lot of this depends on your age and your drinking libido. 

I drink a lot on holiday, cans of lager, but I'm 44yo now and so I can't do it every night, I certainly have no interest in day-drinking.  I DO like the barista coffees though, and Odyssey is particularly easy to access them, especially as there is one in Windjammer, whereas on Symphony there is not so many places, so I drank less barista coffee and fresh OJ. 

I probably have to drink 9 speciality drinks a day to break even on the package, so if I was you I'd cancel both and pay per drink. 

But if he's wedded to the idea of the package, like my wife is, then we both get dragged into it.  

Yes you can rebook at any time, provided you're doing it direct with RC and not through an agent. Might even be ok with agent, might not though.  

Do you personally really desire the beverage covered by the Refreshment package or are you mostly buying it so hubby can get his drink package?  If it is the latter, DH would have to consume a substantial number of drinks each day to justify buying both packages at those prices.  When thinking about how many drinks one might average per day, remember to think about port day plans.  If hubby is off the ship touring, he won’t be using the drink package.  Some people may alter their behavior before and/or after long or strenuous tours.  When I was not drinking due to a medication, hubby just paid by the drink.

• Like 1

That is a good thought, and I’ll work out how many port days we’ve got.  I did some of the Beverage package calculators, and because I drink a lot of bottled water, juice, Shirley Temples, and mocktails as well as decaff lattes, the Refresh package is a good fit for me (and our young adult daughter who rarely drinks alcohol; maybe one glass of wine with dinner).

What I do need to work out is whether husband will drink enough alcohol on port days to warrant the Deluxe package, or whether all 3 of us should get the Refresh package and he just does PAYG for wine & a couple of cocktails.  

I do hate having to keep receipts and adding up the bill as we go though. 😕