Anyone do Galaxy's tour of Ephesus (the 3 1/2 hr. one)?

mlbcruiser

There are a variety of independent and ship sponsored tours offered that include Ephesus and sometimes other sights from Kusadasi as well. We don't necessarily want to spend ALL DAY touring such sights and were wondering how much of a cattle call Celebrity's 3 1/2 hr. tour that includes JUST Ephesus is. Can anyone out there speak from first hand experience about this Celebrity tour? (We will be going in June, and I'm not sure how bad the crowds will be then.)

Our other options would be to hire our own taxi to see Ephesus and I'd like to visit the house of the Virgin Mary as well if possible. (Don't know how close to Ephesus that is???) We also have the option of an independent tour w/about 10 others that is an all-day thing and includes lunch and stops at St. John Basilica and Mary's house as well. This is a bit more costly and would use up the ENTIRE day, which might be a bit tiring. Any info. appreciated!

Meryemana (house of the virgin mary) is a few miles from Ephesus, but it is up on a mountain and it takes quite a while to drive up the mountain. They are definitely both doable in one day though, they are not really too far apart. Meryemana is quite small, I think the line was longer than the house was deep! So it doesn't take too long to go through there. Ephesus is more sprawling, and it is fascinating if you have a good guide.

You really need a guide in Ephesus as the history of the site is the most fascinating. That's one place I wouldn't just want to take a taxi and do all alone, although that is possible. But listening to a guide, whether it's one you hire on your own or with the ship's tour, is the best decision you can make. The trip to Mary's house isn't far from the ruins and both trips can be done in one day, if you don't take a lot of time at the ruins.

I can't recall off-hand how long it takes to get from Kusadasi to Ephesus (it's been several years since my last visit), but I am going to guess about 30 minutes each way. So, your 3½-hour tour would more likely be a 2½-hour visit; maybe less by the time the group gathers, etc. In that time, you could probably hit the hi-lites with a tour guide. If you want to just skim the surface and get a sense of the place, then the ship-sponsored tour is probably fine. (It would not be nearly enough for me as I like to delve into the history of the ruins each time I go there. And, I don't like large groups.)

Meryemana is several miles from Ephesus - up a steep, winding road. It tends to get quite crowded up there when cruise ships are in town. So, if you decide to go, I would suggest going early.

If I were going to do a tour, I think I'd go with the private, 10-pax tour. With a smaller group, you should be able to set the pace better - especially if everyone is of like-mind. Keep in mind that it can be very hot in Ephesus since it is quite a bit away from the ocean. Make sure you take plenty of bottled water and wear a brimmed hat.

Whatever you do, have a great time.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Good tips from all. So I guess we will make sure we go w/some type of guide. But still, no one has replied who has actually gone on the ship sponsored tour! The 10 person tour is an ALL DAY tour. My husband will no doubt get a bit impatient and is more the skim the surface type of guy. I'm going to have to discuss this w/him for sure.

Archived