working out on cruise

starshine

Must you reserve time to workout on your cruise? Or may you just walk in and see if equipment available (treadmill, exercise bike, weights, etc.)? I assume you have to reserve a place in a fitness class but do you have to pre-schedule time to use the gym facilities every day? Also, are most fitness rooms open 24 hours or with extended hours? Wondering if you can walk in at 11:00 p.m. or midnight and workout without a reservation.

Thanks for any responses.

I've never attended any of the classes, but there was no need to make reservations to use the equipment. Some times were busier than others...but I've never had to wait for equipment. Some ships have 24 hour gyms. Others do not. Just check the schedule when you board. I've never had a problem finding some time during my day to fit in a good workout to balance all of the extra calories I'm consuming.

I run on the dreadmill when on vacation, running around in circles for x amount of laps isn't enough. If you go early morning it can be busy, depending on what youj like to use. I get up a half hour before they open just to be sure I'm first on, then can go have a nice breakfast, I ran 3 out of our 5 day cruise last year and had touble getting on a machine only once....most ppl aren't as bad as I am about missing work outs on vacation. Enjoy!:)

On Princess ships, one has to sign up for the treadmills. On first 2 or 3 days, all those who have never used a gym in their lifetime sign up and show up. Then pax sign up and dont show up! Gym attendants will allow one to use a no-show treadmill after 10 min of the reserved time. Princess gyms open very late -- around 7am and close around 9pm. If the seas are rough, be sure to grab onto the handles as soon as you step on the treadmill and until you are completely off! It was amusing to see two women chatting on the treadmill and the wave knocked both off the belt!. /Sultan

Sultan SFO

On Princess, do you sign up at the gym on the first day and designate a time for each successive day? Or do you go there each day in the morning and look for an available time that day? ...I'll make sure to hold on when using the treadmill!

On Princess, the sign-up sheets are put out for the next day. So there were two sign-up sheets at the entrance table -- one for the same day and one for the next day. I never went to the gym in the evening. It is possible that say Today is Sunday, that on Sunday evening near closing time, the Tuesday sign up sheet is already out. The strategy I used was that I would sign up for a slightly later time than my usual, in case I did not wake up early. Then just went to the gym when I was ready. If I got on at a no show or someone else had got on earlier and scratched their name, I would use that slot and scratch my slot. But remember to sign your name in on someones cancelled slot or if you are using a No Show go back and sign in on the No Show Slot (after placing your towel on the treadmill). It helps to get familiar with treadmill numbering so from the sign up table you can see which "number" is unoccupied. BTW, get to know the Gym attendant. They are quite friendly and help out if the no show does turn up quite late. You can see I am a "Regular". /Sultan

The sign up sheets are scheduled at half hour intervals. If you like to run longer than that, you will need to reserve two times back to back. As a courtesy, make sure your off your machine on time, because the effect of an extra 5 minutes a person, can really mess up schedules by mid-day. And if someone is on your machine and no others are available, let the staff handle it. People new to cruising don't realise there is a sign up sheet and will take any equipment not in use.

This is good advice from saltysam. I have experienced some persons who even deliberately feign complete ignorance of the time sheet! Others are genuinely unaware. Once I waited for 5 minutes after my signed-up time behind one lady. When I gently pointed to my wrist watch hoping she would understand, she "pretended" she did not even understand English. The Gym attendants are very helpful. /Sultan

... And if someone is on your machine and no others are available, let the staff handle it. People new to cruising don't realise there is a sign up sheet and will take any equipment not in use.

Archived