Live from the Venture - headed back to Antarctica

markandjie

1 hour ago, bilbobill said:

Wow so much great information here from all of you - thanks for posting.  Can anyone comment on whether you recommend bringing trekking poles.  My wife and I are 60 and in good physical shape but wondering if it is slippery or if these may be helpful vs the effort of packing and bringing them in our luggage.

Definitely bring them. There can be some very slippery inclines. There are good telescoping poles that are easy to pack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bilbobill said:

Can anyone comment on whether you recommend bringing trekking poles.

Yes! It may depend on what month you're visiting Antarctica, though. We were there in late December last year, and there were landings where we were walking up icy steps cut by the crew, walking on paths in snow which was nearly knee deep in places. I'm sure there's less of that if you're going late in the season. 

I was glad to have poles. I'm 65 in good health and with good mobility, but the poles made me more confident/comfortable in walking on the slippery surfaces, and prevented a few falls. On Silversea, they were available to rent for a nominal amount (maybe $40?). (I'm not current on whether Seabourn offers them for rental; I'm sure someone else will jump in with current information.) For me, the small cost was easier than carrying them to and from our cruise. We own our own boots from a prior expedition cruise, so we lugged those; I was glad not to have to deal with packing poles as well!

• Like 1

I suggest bringing them or if you don’t want to pack when we went (2017/2018) they could be rented and left in your room for a modest amount if money,  I  used them once or twice for longer hikes.  My husband did not use them at all.  The expedition staff did clear walking pathways so they were not necessary but I did use them on occasion when the path was a bit steep or longer.  

3 hours ago, markandjie said:

Does Seabourn rent hiking poles?

We rented one pair when we were on quest dec2017-Jan 2018.  It was done through the company they recommended.  As I mentioned I used them twice when the walks were longer and mostly uphill but husband did not use at all.  In retrospect I had nit used before and likely didn’t need them but they were helpful.  
if you have them and they fold up and fit in your luggage nit bad to bring.  Or rent one pair as we did.  Just depends on if you want something to lean on while wandering around on shore or to help walking.

We were on board Venture earlier this month, and trekking poles were definitely helpful, especially for my spouse who does not really like walking on snow and ice.  I bought these poles from Amazon UK (https://www.amazon.co.uk/TheFitLife-Nordic-Walking-Trekking-Poles/dp/B00WTUVE2C/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3ICJUJKUS075M&keywords=fitlife%2Bwalking%2Bpoles&qid=1703157134&sprefix=firlife%2Caps%2C73&sr=8-3&th=1), which were cheap and worked fine for us.  I will now donate them to our grown children who like to hike.