Does the Solarium always have that smell?

CruisinShips

During the day under the bright sun of the Caribbean I've always noticed a smell when walking through the Solarium, I just chalked it up to an indoor pool basically inside a mild sauna/greenhouse with the confined heat and humidity accentuating the aroma.

YMMV

39 minutes ago, SoCalChad said:

During the day under the bright sun of the Caribbean I've always noticed a smell when walking through the Solarium, I just chalked it up to an indoor pool basically inside a mild sauna/greenhouse with the confined heat and humidity accentuating the aroma.

YMMV

I’m about to go to South America in summer.  What’s the Solarium like when it’s warm?  Hot and stuffy?  Shady and cool?

5 hours ago, zestyzorra said:

I am so amazed that most people don't notice the smell. I am bowled over every time I go into the Solarium, no matter the ship. I also can't stand the smell so I usually speed walk through or avoid it all together. 

It's funny, when I started this thread I half-expected for most people to tell me I must be hypersensitive to smells (I'm not) because I've always read how popular the Solarium was. 

• Like 1

Our first cruise was on Infinity about a dozen years ago, Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale. A vivid memory is the awful sulfur smell in the solarium. It was the entire cruise (16 days?) and we hurried through the solarium every time we needed to pass that way. Nobody, and I mean nobody, was lounging in there. Being rookies, we figured it was normal. Haven't noticed that problem on a single one of our 10 Celebrity cruises since then. Reflection a few times, Silhouette, Solstice, all good. We're on Infinity against next April. Here's hoping the problem is fixed.