Captain and Commodore Wine Packages

Megabear2

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If the most expensive one was French, then that does not surprise me. I find New World wines to be far more consistent than the traditional European vineyards.

No it was Australian. We don’t drink French wine. Like you, we much prefer New World wines. 

Edited by Selbourne

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

No it was Australian. We don’t drink French wine. Like you, we much prefer New World wines. 

Appreciate you were on Britannia a while back but do you recall seeing the North Macedonian and Indian white wines on the Glass House menu?  We tried them last year unsure what to expect and really liked them.

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Appreciate you were on Britannia a while back but do you recall seeing the North Macedonian and Indian white wines on the Glass House menu?  We tried them last year unsure what to expect and really liked them.

I can’t say that I noticed. They wouldn’t have registered in all honesty, but now you’ve intrigued me!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

We are considering a wine package and I thought I read that if you buy the package it entitles you to 25% discount on individual bottles bought once you’ve used the package. Can anyone confirm or have I totally misread the the information. 
EDIT

Just went back and of course I’ve got it wrong. The up to 25% is the saving you (allegedly) make against buying individual bottles. I think that might have been wishful thinking. 

Edited by sandancer
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Selborne wrote: " Also, now that P&O has done way away with the ability to keep unfinished bottles in the MDRs..."

Really?  My wife doesn't drink at all and one glass a night with my meal is usually enough for me.  If this is the case, then for us - we go for 1st sitting - the packages are no use at all: it will wine by the glass for me.

1 hour ago, WestonOne said:

Selborne wrote: " Also, now that P&O has done way away with the ability to keep unfinished bottles in the MDRs..."

Really?  My wife doesn't drink at all and one glass a night with my meal is usually enough for me.  If this is the case, then for us - we go for 1st sitting - the packages are no use at all: it will wine by the glass for me.

I have since discovered that some (but not all) ships now hold unfinished bottles in club dining only. For example, on Aurora last month they would, but on Britannia they wouldn’t. It appears to no longer be possible on any ships for freedom dining. 

However, the revised prices mean that a 250ml glass works out at one third of the price of a bottle, so there’s no money to be saved by buying whole bottles (other than through wine packages - but choice is restricted with those). 

Wine could not be kept on Britannia in January.  However the Sauvignon blanc wine we particularly like was £47 a bottle or £16.50 a 250ml glass so the Commodore collection would have been good value to us if I hadn't become unwell on day 5 - P&O did kindly refund the unused portion on our return.

Based on the fact TigerB heard another price increase is on the way we have taken the reduced drinks package on our Caribbean booking over Christmas as once we added it our many speciality teas, iced coffees and water plus a couple of these glasses with dinner and lunch it was a fairly easy option, plus P&O kindly gifted me my unused OBC in FCC after my prolonged illness. 

For our August Aurora cruise we have booked the wine package already to beat the price rise but there will be a large number of family members onboard so it will be easy to drink a bottle in one go at dinner if it cannot be kept - we have early fixed dining.