Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Question

IWantToLiveOverTheSea

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find out where Oceania's ship Riviera may be assigned to dock in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) in February.  I know that a few of the smaller ships have docked close to the city (Hiep Phuoc, container port on Saigon River not terribly far south of HCMC).  That is what a well known tour guide thinks is correct, but I'm no so sure a ship of Riviera's size can be handled there.  Would anyone know how to find out? Or has anyone been there on a larger ship that's been there?

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Riviera is certainly small enough to sail up the Saigon River, but altho she used to berth within walking distance of the city sights I believe she now berths a little further down-river. Massively more convenient than  Phu My or Vung Tau

Hiep Phuoc sounds about right.

Too far to walk, but there'll be tourist taxis at the port, or for better value you might be able to exit the port and hail a liveried metered taxi.

A hint - if you plan to strike out on your own, get someone at the port to write down the name & address of the port in local script, or mark it on a map. That will make a taxi ride back to the ship much easier than using sign language - getting across to a taxi driver that you want to go to a cruise ship is only half the battle, something we found out  the hard way 😏 😃

JB 🙂

• Like 2

When Oceania was in HCMC a few months ago, someone reported there was a shuttle to district 1 near the market (not far from Opera House).  That should help with transportation concerns.  But I've learned to never assume that just because one ship docked a particular place, or people on one cruise had use of a shuttle, or one ship tendered instead of docked, what has been reported is what I'll experience on MY cruise.  But I will definitely get the actual address firmed up, and in Vietnamese if necessary, before I leave any dock in the Saigon area!  Now in Thailand, whew!  I am really having a tough time looking at place names on a map.