Coach Transfer from Manchester area.

ozzysdad

Good evening, I'm hoping somebody may be able to help. I'm looking at a cruise out of Southampton and taking advantage of the coach transfer so i'd appreciate any help with a couple of queries I have.

Nearest pick up appears to be at Bolton football ground which is 20 miles away from me, can I leave my car there for 2 weeks? Are there even car park facilities in and around the stadium?.

What time roughly on a Sunday would we be picked up and how long is the journey down?.

What time will we get back there on a Sunday, I appreciate this may vary but a rough idea would be of help.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know, TIA 🙂

10 hours ago, ozzysdad said:

can I leave my car there for 2 weeks

I believe that you can leave your car, by prior arrangement, at the Premier Inn

What time roughly on a Sunday would we be picked up and how long is the journey down?.

Last time I looked the pickup time was around 07:30 (but that may have changed) - journey down will be governed by the allotted arrival time for that coach and coaches normally have the 14:00 - 15:00 time slot. If leaving your car there it may worth considering staying at the Premier Inn the night before.

What time will we get back there on a Sunday

That will be dependant on what time the last passenger boards the coach (I know - a piece of string question) but I would not expect to be back in Bolton before mid to late afternoon.

Edited by david63

As most of your questions concern time, would it be worth considering the train?

We travelled Carlisle to Southampton in October leaving Carlisle at 10.04am, one change at Birmingham International for about 35 minutes and arrived at Southampton at 4.45pm. OK you have to carry your cases on/off the train yourself but travelling by train is way better than by coach.

I see the benefits of coach transfer, ie direct to the terminal, bonded luggage, cruise will wait for a coach full of passengers. etc

Not sure what a coach transfer costs but we installed Trainline app, bought a 'Two Together" Railcard for £30 direct on to the app  and the total cost for two of us was...

Carlisle- Birmingham Intl .2 singles               £91.99

Birmingham Intl- Southhampton 2 singles   £32.99

Manchester Airport- Carlisle, 2 singles         £15.09

Railcard (lasts a year)                                      £30.00

So £170 return (we were on a transatlantic cruise so flew into Manchester) with no car parking charges.

Another consideration is that we elected to travel a day early to avoid the stress of any delays. This, of course, involved the cost (£86) of a hotel (we stayed at the Ibis) but were able to walk to the Ocean Terminal from the hotel in about 35 mins inc wheeling our cases.

Enjoy your cruise

Barry

49 minutes ago, Cumbrian1 said:

cruise will wait for a coach full of passengers.

That is not necessarily the case. Your contract is with the coach operator and not the cruise line therefore it does not fall within the Package Holiday regulations.

The cruise line will do all it can to wait for a coach that is delayed but at some point the ship will have to sail.

There are precedents for this - albeit not often.

* update which may be some use to others*

I called the Premier Inn which is the transfer pick up point and they allow cruise passengers who are staying overnight to use their carpark for the duration of the cruise, all that is required is a £20 payment which they then donate to Great Ormond Street hospital, with that information we will drive up the day before and leave the car there.

Thanks to those who've been of help. For information a Premier Inn Plus room  is coming in at less than £50 for the night.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, david63 said:

That is not necessarily the case. Your contract is with the coach operator and not the cruise line therefore it does not fall within the Package Holiday regulations.

The cruise line will do all it can to wait for a coach that is delayed but at some point the ship will have to sail.

Hi

Are you sure,,,,you are booking the holiday with P&O that includes coach transfer,,,that is you are booking a ‘package’.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, david63 said:

If you choose the coach as a "perk" (instead of free parking, or OBC, depending on the offer in place) it  certainly is part of the cruise package. If you book the coach independently you are correct. Even then if you choose Intercruise as "preferred partner" you will be in a better position than if you book Eavesway.  

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Are you sure,

100% - If you arranged the coach travel at the same time as you booked the cruise and with the cruise line then it would fall within the Package Holiday regulations but if you book the cruise and the coach separately it is not covered - it is irrelevant who is paying.

Where you may get package holiday cover is if you book the cruise with a TA and the coach at the same time and it is all on one invoice then you would probably be covered

1 hour ago, FangedRose said:

f you choose the coach as a "perk" (instead of free parking, or OBC, depending on the offer in place) it  certainly is part of the cruise package

You have two contracts, one with the cruise line and one with the coach operator therefore it is not covered by the package holiday regulations. To be covered it all has to be one contract.

23 minutes ago, david63 said:

100% - If you arranged the coach travel at the same time as you booked the cruise and with the cruise line then it would fall within the Package Holiday regulations but if you book the cruise and the coach separately it is not covered - it is irrelevant who is paying.

Where you may get package holiday cover is if you book the cruise with a TA and the coach at the same time and it is all on one invoice then you would probably be covered

It is on the same contract. It states on the paperwork from P&O that the "free" coach travel is part of what you have booked.

4 hours ago, FangedRose said:

If you choose the coach as a "perk" (instead of free parking, or OBC, depending on the offer in place) it  certainly is part of the cruise package. If you book the coach independently you are correct. Even then if you choose Intercruise as "preferred partner" you will be in a better position than if you book Eavesway.  

This is very interesting to me at the moment.  We normally park by the ship regardless of who we are sailing with. In October we did a TA on Celebrity Silhouette and flew back from Florida into Manchester and so paid for one-way coach to Southampton. We were very, very impressed with Eavesway.

Our ship was delayed due to weather conditions and so our luggage was taken from us and a shuttle into Southampton centre was laid on.  It was a coach from a Yorkshire company and the legroom was dreadful and nothing like the lovely journey we had on Eavesway and has put us off getting any other company.

To get to the point, I only discovered yesterday that with P&O if we choose the perk transfer option with Intercruise for our upcoming cruise, it will definitely NOT be Eavesway.  We are considering taking the OBC and paying out of pocket for Eavesway.

Have there ever been any recorded instances of P&O passengers missing their ship because they used Eavesway?

3 hours ago, david63 said:

So if only one couple take the cruise offer , are they the only passengers that P&O wait for, do they only allow those 2 to board and deny all the others?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

This is very interesting to me at the moment.  We normally park by the ship regardless of who we are sailing with. In October we did a TA on Celebrity Silhouette and flew back from Florida into Manchester and so paid for one-way coach to Southampton. We were very, very impressed with Eavesway.

Our ship was delayed due to weather conditions and so our luggage was taken from us and a shuttle into Southampton centre was laid on.  It was a coach from a Yorkshire company and the legroom was dreadful and nothing like the lovely journey we had on Eavesway and has put us off getting any other company.

To get to the point, I only discovered yesterday that with P&O if we choose the perk transfer option with Intercruise for our upcoming cruise, it will definitely NOT be Eavesway.  We are considering taking the OBC and paying out of pocket for Eavesway.

Have there ever been any recorded instances of P&O passengers missing their ship because they used Eavesway?

In my experience the coaches used by Intercruise are the same as those used by Eavesway. Your situation with weather delays causing last minute arrangements is a different thing altogether and should not deter you from using Intercruises. 

This didn't happen to me, but some five years ago a couple used Eavesway. Their luggage was mistakenly offloaded at the wrong ship. They were left with only the clothing they arrived in for the best part of a week. They were informed that if they had travelled with Intercruises they would have been given vouchers to use in the shops for clothing and toiletries etc. But, as they had travelled with Eavesway they were considered "independent" travellers and were given no assistance, just as if they had arrived by car and left their luggage in the boot.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

In my experience the coaches used by Intercruise are the same as those used by Eavesway. Your situation with weather delays causing last minute arrangements is a different thing altogether and should not deter you from using Intercruises. 

I believe that Intercruises is an Agency and sub contract.  Eavesway have their own fleet of luxury coaches and even invited us along to their depot for a look inside when I phoned up to ask about legroom before our recent trip with them (DH is tall).

Your anecdote was interesting but we would prefer to self-drive rather than end up on a coach with poor leg room for 5+ hours, so definitely won’t be using Intercruises and taking a chance on its being okay.

Edited by mrsgoggins

17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

So if only one couple take the cruise offer , are they the only passengers that P&O wait for, do they only allow those 2 to board and deny all the others?

Edited by FangedRose

5 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I believe that Intercruises is an Agency and sub contract.  Eavesway have their own fleet of luxury coaches and even invited us along to their depot for a look inside when I phoned up to ask about legroom before our recent trip with them (DH is tall).

Your anecdote was interesting but we would prefer to self-drive rather than end up on a coach with poor leg room for 5+ hours, so definitely won’t be using Intercruises and taking a chance on its being okay.

Not all intercruise coaches, especially the return ones from Southampton are luxury ones, we had some Canadian relatives return from Ventura with them, and my BIL was very disappointed not to have the  advertised wi fi, and someone elses left over sandwich in his seat back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Not all intercruise coaches, especially the return ones from Southampton are luxury ones, we had some Canadian relatives return from Ventura with them, and my BIL was very disappointed not to have the  advertised wi fi, and someone elses left over sandwich in his seat back.

Interesting. But we won’t be using Intercruises whatever. It will either be Eavesway or driving and a PI (as usual).

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

If by that you mean that there is only one couple on the coach who booked the complete package via a TA then if the coach was delayed and they all missed the ship then it would be the TA's responsibility to deal with the problem for that couple as they are the ones who put the package together.

Edited by david63

We travel from Bolton to Southampton 3 or 4 times a year with Intercruises. We stay at the Premier Inn the night before and always leave our car, paying the £20 donation to Great Ormond Street hospital. The coach transfer comes as part of the Select Fare contract and is paid for as part of the cruise  fare package. No other monies are paid to Intercruises. The only action on our part is to confirm the booking with Intercruises. By using Intercruises we are assured that the ship will wait should there be any delay. If there is any major unexpected traffic incidents on the routes into Southampton it will be more than one coach that will be delayed. The coach transfer from Bolton leaves about 7.45 am, although In September when joining the Arvia it did not leave until 9.15 am.  We usually arrive back in Bolton at about 3.30 -4.00 pm. We are always quite satisfied with the service and the journey takes about 5.5 - 6 hours with a short pit stop and a longer break to get something to eat.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, david63 said:

If by that you mean that there is only one couple on the coach who booked the complete package via a TA then if the coach was delayed and they all missed the ship then it would be the TA's responsibility to deal with the problem for that couple as they are the ones who put the package together.

What of the couple had booked direct with P&O???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Nothing to do with TA. Nothing to do with how you book. It is part of the offering from P&O. When booking you are asked do you want obc, parking or coach (depending on offers at the time of booking, you may get two out of three). It is not an optional extra. Intercruise is "preferred partner" of P&O, as such those using Intercruise get preferential treatment.

Edited by FangedRose

15 hours ago, david63 said:

Hi

That is what I said,,if you book coach included with your cruise booking,,,it’s a package.

I am not talking about booking cruise and then say book Eavesway,,,that is not a package.

11 hours ago, FangedRose said:

This didn't happen to me, but some five years ago a couple used Eavesway. Their luggage was mistakenly offloaded at the wrong ship. They were left with only the clothing they arrived in for the best part of a week. They were informed that if they had travelled with Intercruises they would have been given vouchers to use in the shops for clothing and toiletries etc. But, as they had travelled with Eavesway they were considered "independent" travellers and were given no assistance, just as if they had arrived by car and left their luggage in the boot.

Hi

I don’t believe P&O has ever used Eavesway since they fell out years ago,,,P&O played silly beggars with Eavesway giving passengers the last departure times from the ship whilst Cruise Connect/Intercruises passengers where off first.

Thats all changed now both Intercruises and Eavesway are now given the early disembark times,,,,on my last cruise using Eavesway this year it was 07:45 and we where on the road by 08:15.

From the North West P&O usually use Ellisons of St Helens,,,lovely coaches.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

I don’t believe P&O has ever used Eavesway since they fell out years ago,,,P&O played silly beggars with Eavesway giving passengers the last departure times from the ship whilst Cruise Connect/Intercruises passengers where off first.

Thats all changed now both Intercruises and Eavesway are now given the early disembark times,,,,on my last cruise using Eavesway this year it was 07:45 and we where on the road by 08:15.

From the North West P&O usually use Ellisons of St Helens,,,lovely coaches.

Yes, I agree lovely coaches. But, last time they used Leon's coaches, equally nice.

I have travelled with Eavesway twice. Once with Celebrity, once with P&O just prior to the falling out. Both times were problematic for varying reasons, trying to persuade passengers to agree to a different pick up point (weeks before sailing date when overnight hotel bookings had been made), breakdowns, being decanted into different minibuses, coffee and tea being promised but not available once on board, same with WiFi. The P&O transfer was just prior to Eavesway being dumped (declining to renew contract) and was harangued both ways by the driver telling us to book direct with Eavesway next time.

I could go on but I'm boring myself now.

21 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Yes, I agree lovely coaches. But, last time they used Leon's coaches, equally nice.

I have travelled with Eavesway twice. Once with Celebrity, once with P&O just prior to the falling out. Both times were problematic for varying reasons, trying to persuade passengers to agree to a different pick up point (weeks before sailing date when overnight hotel bookings had been made), breakdowns, being decanted into different minibuses, coffee and tea being promised but not available once on board, same with WiFi. The P&O transfer was just prior to Eavesway being dumped (declining to renew contract) and was harangued both ways by the driver telling us to book direct with Eavesway next time.

I could go on but I'm boring myself now.

Thank you very much for your information and input, you've been helpful.