Panama Tourist Card for Canadians?

Allis154

I was just looking at the Canadian Foreign Affairs site. It says:

"Tourist cards are the most common entry document for short stays (valid for 90 days) and may be purchased in advance from your travel agent or airline, or upon arrival at a land border or at Tocumen International Airport in Panama City.

Visitors to Panama are required to have the equivalent of US$500 or a credit card, plus a return or onward ticket."

Does anybody know how much these are and if we need the card while cruising?

Allis154

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

I believe it's similar to travelling to Mexico or Baja Sur, where you will complete a Tourist Card on the flight inbound to your destination.

I have never seen any requirement for a tourist card on a cruise going into Mexico so can't see why it would be any different.

I do know that sometimes countries will check nationalities of pers booked on shore excursions. eg. a girl I knew from S Africa was booked on a shore excursion in Port Said, however she was advised by the ship's tour desk that she could not proceed ashore due to (what Egyptian authorities had told the ship) a diplomatic disagreement between S Africa and Egypt.

I don't believe that the tourist card issue should affect you, as Canadians are proceeding ashore in as many numbers as Americans off cruiseships, and with the economy of an evolving nation, I can't see them denying you entry off the ship.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived