IONA LIBRARY

sandancer

Just watched a YouTube video where Anderson’s Bar and library are detailed. I was under the impression that, like Arvia, there was no library on Iona. Can anyone confirm before I pack a shedload of books. I apologise for the heading in CAPS, I wasn’t shouting, just a slip of the iPad. 

Edited by sandancer

6 hours ago, Red Ray said:

Not a library as such just 2 or 3 glass cases where pax can help themselves to books. Not much but better han the pathetic offering on Arvia.

I don't agree with that, unless things have changed since 2022. 

The Arvia library is a joke but, in early 2022 at least, the Iona library was quite well stocked.

On Arvia in May the two or three shelves by Anderson's bar were very sparcely stocked at the beginning of the cruise. By the end of the cruise there were a lot more books as people left books they had read. Personally I would't class it as a library. It is more like a few shelves for book swapping!

On 11/24/2023 at 1:46 PM, molecrochip said:

Iona has a good size library however it didn’t have many books earlier this year. Someone who has sailed her more recently may be able to expand.

I beg to differ. We were on Iona in August. The ‘library’ was nothing short of pathetic. A few cupboards in Anderson’s and the choice was absolutely dismal. My wife’s assessment was that this was probably because most of the passengers on our cruise probably couldn’t read, but she really had a downer on Iona due to the lift problems that we had and, frankly, even if they had the British Library on board I don’t think that I could tempt her back on board 😂 

As a serious answer to your question, it’s rubbish. Take your own books or a Kindle (other brands are available).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you have a tablet, or even a smart phone, and a library card, you can borrow ebooks to download to it using the Libby app, and all for free.

I’ve succumbed and bought my wife a Kindle for Christmas so that she has one for our long cruise, but I’ve bought some ye olde worlde physical books for myself 😂 

• Like 1

I take a selection of small books and a Kindle.  To be honest a Kindle can carry an entire library.  Try and get the one that can be read in any light too.

It would also be great if Iona passengers were spoken about with politeness, comments around whether or not we can read are not helpful even when in jest, it just adds to the "them and us" feel and doesn't make us feel welcome.

Edited by Red Leicester
  • Like 1