Should I take my laptop?

If that's the only reason you are taking your laptop, then I'd leave it at home. We take ours but we also use it for downloading pictures from the digital cameras and the occassional office stuff we may have to do on the road.

I agree with nparmelee. If the internet use is your only reasonyou might want to leave it behind.

That being said, I do bring along mine for downloading photos from the digital cameras, keeping a journal of our travels and also to watch DVDs during the flights to the port. In addition, it is my opinion that I saved a lot of internet fees by conecting twice a day and downloading then sending my emails and composing outgoing emails and replies, and reading incoming emails off line.

I was wondering about that with the use ofline being a good thing to have ours for also. I know we can end up with lots of junk mails and some from family that are real long to read and would rather not be online and paying to read them.we also thought that by being able to look at our photos we can retake a few if needed and know how they look in advance. I can also place those in a file that we will want to print off in advance.

Another option would be to utilize the Internet cafes found at all the various cruise ports. I allow myself 30-60 min at each port to check emails. It is much cheaper than onboard. The prices at the ports range anywhere from $1 - $4/hr.

I'm taking mine with me. If you buy a package of minutes, it could go down as low as 33 cents/minute. Regular price is 50 cents/min. The computers onboard are so painfully slow that I would do without before I used them. This will be the first time that I try the onboard WI-FI so I'll know the first week of April whether or not I plan to use it next trip. I've been told on the boards that the WI-FI is reasonably quick. Hope this helps.

Thanks Wraith, I appreciate your help! Do you know what else I would need to bring to set my laptop up? I have used mine several times when we have traveled, but I set up on land in a hotel room..lol! Does it work the same way? I thought I read somewhere that I would have to purchase a kit :confused: once I got on board? We might go this route because my parents are coming with us and we would split the cost. Has anyone else every tried emailing from a port?

Thanks Wraith, I appreciate your help! Do you know what else I would need to bring to set my laptop up? I have used mine several times when we have traveled, but I set up on land in a hotel room..lol! Does it work the same way? I thought I read somewhere that I would have to purchase a kit :confused: once I got on board? We might go this route because my parents are coming with us and we would split the cost. Has anyone else every tried emailing from a port?

My understanding is that as long as you have a standard 902.11b/g wireless card, you'll be able to connect, once you connect, then you can choose whether you want to purchase a bundle of minutes or pay by the minute. I'll know more and be happy to fill you in when I get back from Mariner April 9th. Hope that helps a little.

Archived