Possible to Get a Wine that's NOT on Canaletto's List?

jimdee3636

We're four-star with HAL and will be boarding the Koningsdam next week for 11 nights. I know we'll buy a wine-by-the-bottle package (with the 50% four-star discount, we'd be crazy not to), but I also know that Canaletto (where we're likely to go at least once) has a different wine list. Is it possible (without waiting forever) to have the Canaletto waiter or wine steward find a bottle from "our" list somewhere and serve it to us? Or would it be easier to get an unopened bottle from the MDR the night before and just bring it in to Canaletto with us (assuming that's allowed)? Or should I just ditch the whole idea and pay full price for a bottle on Canaletto's list? (We won't have the HIA package, and in any case I'm not wild about HAL's wines-by-the-glass lists, in any venue).

Thanks for any insights or advice.

Jim

19 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

We're four-star with HAL and will be boarding the Koningsdam next week for 11 nights. I know we'll buy a wine-by-the-bottle package (with the 50% four-star discount, we'd be crazy not to), but I also know that Canaletto (where we're likely to go at least once) has a different wine list. Is it possible (without waiting forever) to have the Canaletto waiter or wine steward find a bottle from "our" list somewhere and serve it to us? Or would it be easier to get an unopened bottle from the MDR the night before and just bring it in to Canaletto with us (assuming that's allowed)? Or should I just ditch the whole idea and pay full price for a bottle on Canaletto's list? (We won't have the HIA package, and in any case I'm not wild about HAL's wines-by-the-glass lists, in any venue).

Thanks for any insights or advice.

Jim

When we did that, we had a bottle brought up to the Lido ahead of time.  that made it easy and faster for the Canletto staff to retrieve it.

You can also take a bottle with you.  It’s not a problem.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kazu said:

When we did that, we had a bottle brought up to the Lido ahead of time.  that made it easy and faster for the Canletto staff to retrieve it.

You can also take a bottle with you.  It’s not a problem.

Do the same. I usually stop by at lunch and tell them what wine we want that night.  They bring it to our table right after they seat us.

• Like 2

No pre-planning required ... simply tell the Canaletto wait staff when you arrive that you already have an opened bottle of red or white stored at the MDR, deck 2 or 3.  They will send one of their staff for it and it will be back to you in 5 - 6 minutes.  We dined in the Canaletto several times and that's the process we followed earlier this month during our TA to FLL from Barcelona.  The same applies for dining in the Lido.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Foggy Bay said:

Question on the wine package--I've purchased one of the packages for my husband for our upcoming trip, but he's a red-wine-only-guy.  Will there be an option to choose that?  I've not ordered this before.

Yes, you choose the wine when you get each bottle.  If you want reds you can order different ones.  You don’t need to decide in advance what wines you want.

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yes, you choose the wine when you get each bottle.  If you want reds you can order different ones.  You don’t need to decide in advance what wines you want.

Thank you SOOO much!  I've been wondering how this works.  

• Like 1

Yes, you can find the Sommelier Wine packages listed on the HAL website ... Cellars 1, 2, or 3 ... think good, better, best.  Each package is available with 4, 6, or 8 bottles, and includes a selection of reds or whites.  You can have as many bottles open at one time as you want ... they are yours, prepaid and available to drink while dining or taken back to your stateroom.  BTW, an 18% gratuity will be tacked onto the price of the package ... the gratuity is not included in the package price.

• Like 1