Problem Inserting Photos Directly From iPhone Onto My Posts On The Cruise Critic Boards

mahdnc

I don't remember when this started, but I have been having a problem inserting photos directly from my iPhone (15 Pro) to my posts on Cruise Critic. The photo will load with no error messages but it will be a blacked out image (1st photo below).  I get the same result when using my iPad (Pro).

However I can successfully post the same photo if I do it from my desktop or laptop (2nd photo below).  This work around is inconvenient and may be related to the large file size.  Any ideas on how to fix that that doesn't involve reducing the image size or having to transfer mobile photos to a desktop?

postingphotofailexample.thumb.png.45375033430a598a1d852f98f3234845.png

postingphotoexample.thumb.JPG.37c5f357aaf3827c219ff4f7cfd3fa3e.JPG

Edited by mahdnc

• 2 weeks later...

You need to convert the HEIC files (standard in iPhone) into jpg files in order for them to upload here.

To automatically CONVERT existing HEIC images to JPG when transferring/posting images from your iPhone:

1. Launch the Settings app
  2. Tap Photos
  3. Tap Automatic. This setting is found at the very bottom of the screen under Transfer to Mac or PC

This setting is extremely useful as it now means that any time you transfer photos from iPhone to Mac or PC they will automatically send in JPEG rather than HEIC.

To automatically FORMAT your photos in JPG (instead of HEIC) as you take them:

1. Open Settings on your iPhone or iPad
  2. Tap Camera. You might have to scroll a bit to find this option
  3. Tap Formats
  4. Tap Most Compatible. If you want to switch back to HEIC, follow these same steps but tap High Efficiency.

JPG is the standard file transfer for images and unless you have a particular requirement to keep images in HEIC format, it will be fine to keep the jpg setting on your iPhone. You may always change it back if you wish and use the selective jpg transfer option noted above. 

Good luck. We hope this helps 🙂 

13 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

You need to convert the HEIC files (standard in iPhone) into jpg files in order for them to upload here.

To automatically CONVERT existing HEIC images to JPG when transferring/posting images from your iPhone:

1. Launch the Settings app
  2. Tap Photos
  3. Tap Automatic. This setting is found at the very bottom of the screen under Transfer to Mac or PC

This setting is extremely useful as it now means that any time you transfer photos from iPhone to Mac or PC they will automatically send in JPEG rather than HEIC.

To automatically FORMAT your photos in JPG (instead of HEIC) as you take them:

1. Open Settings on your iPhone or iPad
  2. Tap Camera. You might have to scroll a bit to find this option
  3. Tap Formats
  4. Tap Most Compatible. If you want to switch back to HEIC, follow these same steps but tap High Efficiency.

JPG is the standard file transfer for images and unless you have a particular requirement to keep images in HEIC format, it will be fine to keep the jpg setting on your iPhone. You may always change it back if you wish and use the selective jpg transfer option noted above. 

Good luck. We hope this helps 🙂 

Hi.  Thank you for the information.  I figured HEIC format would be a problem.  However if you look at both of my screenshots, you can see that I am having problems loading the JPEG file from my iPhone.  However I can load the same JPEG file from my laptop successfully.  It may be that the desktop version of Cruise Critic can handle larger files than the mobile version.  Or maybe it is a limitation with the iPhone itself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 2:16 PM, mahdnc said:

However if you look at both of my screenshots

Yes, so sorry I missed that.

How are you uploading the image? Can you copy/past the image into the post? Tap on the three dots in the upper right hand section of the image, click copy on the image you would like to post, then open your browser and navigate to the topic, place the cursor into a new post where you'd like to drop the image and click paste. 

Since the image is already in jpg format, there shouldn't be an issue and it should work similar to drag and drop. 

At the moment I can't login with my phone to test anything 😂 but as soon as I'm able I'll try it out too. So if anyone sees a wonky post from me, that's why....