Signatures or Latitudes restaurant?

BoopTennis

Having enjoyed Signatures and Latitudes on the RSSC Voyager, I am confident that you that you will enjoy both venues on the Mariner.

Signatures offers traditional French food, wine and service with a large menu of a variety of dishes: appetizer, soup, first course, main course and dessert. Look for about an hour and a half or more of very pleasant dining.

On the other hand, Latitudes has a fixed menu, changed weekly (we were on a 14-day cruise). Both menus were "Asian fusion", that is a blend of different Asian ingredients and techniques. Less formal and less lengthy dining. So good, we went there twice with the same menu!

If you are on a 7-day cruise, I recommend you reserve once at each as soon as you board. If on a longer cruise, you will find more flexibility: last-minute reservations, the ability to add companions, etc.

See my review of the Voyager, Deember 28, for more details, menus.

Bon apetit!

On the Mariner, loved Latitudes and thought Signatures was just so so. On Voyager, Signatures was wonderful but the menu being offerred at Latitudes on either week just didn't appeal to me. Should always try Signatures, I think we must have just hit an off week on Mariner. Take a look at Latitudes menu to see if it appeals to you. If so I am sure you will enjoy it.

Signatures was of the quality of a fine New York restaurant, and we managed to get a second reservation, it was so good, on a seven day cruise. Fine food, fine service, and a very nice menu.

Latitudes was a tasting menu - with four little appetizers and four little main courses [they adjusted nicely for my wife who doesn't eat meat]. Good, interesting service - not as 'exciting' as Signatures, but very different from the Compass Rose. Don't miss either.

I would agree that, at least on the Mariner, Signatures is a good step above Lattitudes. I would say quality wise, Signatures is about as good as an above average New York restaurant. I think if you are expecting an Aureole or Danube you will be disappointed; not that it is a disappointing experience.;)

Lattitudes is supposed to have a menu with a main course related to where you are cruising, but appetisers which are a bit of a semi-Asian flare. I, personally, couldn't find the concept to well. It was an OK dinner, but I think - the atmosphere aside - the Compass Rose food was equal if not better.

I would agree that, at least on the Mariner, Signatures is a good step above Lattitudes.

Lattitudes is supposed to have a menu with a main course related to where you are cruising, but appetisers which are a bit of a semi-Asian flare. I, personally, couldn't find the concept to well. It was an OK dinner, but I think - the atmosphere aside - the Compass Rose food was equal if not better.

Re: Lattitudes atmosphere, the open kitchen concept just didn't work for me. We sat at one of the side booths nearest the 'open kitchen' and really didn't see anything but the harsh glare of flourescent kitchen lighting. The station nearest the kitchen opening must have been some kind of prep or plating area. No one was seen cooking there. No dramatic flame-ups (probably a good thing at sea) or activity that was interesting in the least.

Don't get me wrong, the dining room is very pleasant otherwise but I would have preferred to do without the window into the kitchen. It was more of a distraction than an asset.

My vote would be for food and atmosphere: Signatures > Compass Rose > Lattitudes

I agree with DavidJ. We always have enjoyed Signatures but have found Latitudes not so good. We went to dinner twice and a private party once and really would have preferred the Compass Rose on each ocassion. Of course, what could be more subjective than one's taste in food!?

Enjoy your first trip on Mariner! I've had good and an occasional not so good meals at both Signatures and Latitudes. We usually eat at least once at each restaurant when on Mariner. I'd also recommend La Verandah as a change-of-pace from Compass Rose for dinner. On formal nights, they usually offer an Italian Steak House menu that's been excellent and, on shorter cruises, is often less crowded than Compass Rose those evenings. Cheers, Anne

Archived