QE 2025 Alaska Season Preview

bluemarble

1 hour ago, MississippiMom said:

I am not at all familiar with Cunard, but their Alaska itineraries are very appealing for 2025.

In your opinion, would it be a “kid friendly” line in Alaska?

I think it really depends on the age of the kids in question. We will have a 3.5 year old and if she’s the only kid on board then it’s ok because grandparents are coming too. If you have older kids then they might want to see other kids and I have no idea how likely that is. Usually the number of kids drops when you get over 7 nights but this is Alaska and it is summer when kids are largely out of school so it’s anyone’s guess as to how many kids will be on board. 

The other thing is that there are no slides, rock climbing walls or anything like that. There’s a kids club and some regular pools. The atmosphere at night is formal. Children don’t have to comply with the dress code but they largely do so your kids would be out of place if they are wearing normal clothes in the evening and not something you’d wear to a decent restaurant. 

In the main dining room there is a children’s menu but it’s fairly limited but that would be ok if your kid is happy to eat from the main menu - or chicken nuggets every night!

I’ve done 5 cruises with the little one in question, 3 of which have been on Cunard and know she will be ok. We might reconsider as she gets older and needs the company of other kids more. 

• Thanks 2

On 12/13/2023 at 3:41 PM, david,Mississauga said:

How very kind.  I must never say never. We sailed into Seattle a very long time ago. It was on the Canadian Pacific ferry Princess Marguerite from Victoria.  The immigration procedure was painless, which was a relief as we had memories of a recent experience at the New York piers.

I admit to a fondness for Vancouver whether travelling by ship or train. We went there by train on our honeymoon. Our first cruise was from there - also on a Canadian Pacific ship. We have had several voyages since then from Vancouver.  We may change our plans for 2024 and book what may be our final cruise from Vancouver.  Having experienced the QE four times - three of which were from Vancouver - no other ship on the Alaska run appeals to us. 

I understand that Vancouver is easier for you. And it is a great city to visit. I have more choices for flights to Seattle than to Vancouver, and they're less expensive. 

July 11 2024 has a nice itinerary. It will be my fifth Alaska cruise (2 HAL, 2 Cunard), and I'm pleased that there will be three places that are new to me. Haines, Wrangell, and Misty Fjord. I know Haines and Wrangell are small, but I've never been to them, so it's something new to see. One of them, Haines I think, has a hammer museum. C'mon, who isn't curious to see that? (Seriously, I knew someone who collected hammers ad even wrote a book about them.)

Looking again at the 2025 schedule, there is more variety than I realized. But I'm glad I'm going this year. 

• Like 1

I can appreciate that Seattle is more convenient for people from the US.  On the three Alaska cruises we have taken on the QE and one on Holland America it appeared to me that the majority of passengers were from the UK.   Admittedly Canadians were much in the minority.

I have no idea whether it is easier for people from the UK to fly to Vancouver or Seattle.  I suppose Cunard has thought this out.  In case the switch to Seattle is going to be a long-term change we are seriously thinking of postponing our two QM2 voyages booked for this year and booking Alaska on the QE once again this year. I have narrowed it down to four dates.