Booked the Islander

ericrz

So my mom and I went and booked the MAS Islander for a September 2024 5-night cruise to Key West and Cozumel.  Happens to leave on September 1, which will be the first anniversary of Jimmy Buffett's passing.  I was thinking about going to Key West that weekend, but the cruise is much more economical!

I picked a balcony cabin on the phone with the rep, but she warned me that cabin numbering may not match the existing Costa Atlantica deck plans still available on the Internet.  She said Islander deck plans should be finalized next week, and I can call back and change cabins if I don't like where we ended up (deck 9, forward -- trying to keep my mom relatively close to the elevators).

The rep said that major structural items on the ship (pools, dining rooms, etc.) are not likely to change locations.  But there definitely could be some renumbering.

Fins Up!

• Like 2

Took the plunge today as well. 😀

Booked the 5 night Cozumel/Progreso itinerary for July 16-21.  Went for the Obstructed View Interior on Deck 4.  Room number was assigned.  Based on prevous MAS experience, this can change without warning.  

That said - Booking the repositioning cruise when Islander leaves Italy would be a fun shakedown trip!

Edited by pr8hd
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone that has booked a 5 day on the Islander tell me how much the port fees and taxes are? I hate that I can't see all the associated fees without entering our names etc.. I just want to know what the total bottom dollar is going to be.

On 12/30/2023 at 3:43 PM, BusyBlond said:

Can someone that has booked a 5 day on the Islander tell me how much the port fees and taxes are? I hate that I can't see all the associated fees without entering our names etc.. I just want to know what the total bottom dollar is going to be.

You can call them and they will provide that information over the phone.

On 12/30/2023 at 3:43 PM, BusyBlond said:

Can someone that has booked a 5 day on the Islander .....

$233.00 on Progreso & Cozumel sailings.  $275 for Key West/Mexico.

Gratuties $18 PP per night.  

Fuel surcharge $15 PP per night.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone else sails to Progresso/Merida but Cozumel and Key West are pretty common destinations out of Tampa on the traditional cruise lines. So they're facing stiff competition on this new venture of theirs and they have LOTS of cabins to fill.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:08 PM, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

I don't know if anyone else sails to Progresso/Merida but Cozumel and Key West are pretty common destinations out of Tampa on the traditional cruise lines. So they're facing stiff competition on this new venture of theirs and they have LOTS of cabins to fill.

Disney, Carnival and RCL and soon MAS visit Progreso (Yucatan).   According to the port schedule it looks like Progreso has only one ship call per day.  Cozumel may have three or four ships each day.  

I think MAS is trying to fill a niche for shorter (4-5 night) cruises visiting KW and Mexico.   MAS seems to be the only line with a KW and Mexico itinerary from Tampa.  Tampa is a bonus with a shorter drive and better parking.  🙂  It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out long term.    

Side note:  Key West is doing everything it can to limit the size and number of ships docking.  Apparently the Governor disagrees with that idea.  I believe (hope) Spirit class ships are small enough to visit if Key West gets what it wants.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, pr8hd said:

Disney, Carnival and RCL and soon MAS visit Progreso (Yucatan).   According to the port schedule it looks like Progreso has only one ship call per day.  Cozumel may have three or four ships each day.  

I think MAS is trying to fill a niche for shorter (4-5 night) cruises visiting KW and Mexico.   MAS seems to be the only line with a KW and Mexico itinerary from Tampa.  Tampa is a bonus with a shorter drive and better parking.  🙂  It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out long term.    

Side note:  Key West is doing everything it can to limit the size and number of ships docking.  Apparently the Governor disagrees with that idea.  I believe (hope) Spirit class ships are small enough to visit if Key West gets what it wants.  

Cozumel is the destination of nearly every cruise departing from Tampa. Key West is also a common destination, although perhaps not on the same cruise as Cozumel. Key West government and voters have very little authority to regulate interstate and international commerce so I doubt they will prevail in their fight. Since the voters want to limit ship passengers to 1500 per day, Spirit-class would be way too large.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/7/2023 at 6:15 PM, pr8hd said:

Took the plunge today as well. 😀

Booked the 5 night Cozumel/Progreso itinerary for July 16-21.  Went for the Obstructed View Interior on Deck 4.  Room number was assigned.  Based on prevous MAS experience, this can change without warning.  

That said - Booking the repositioning cruise when Islander leaves Italy would be a fun shakedown trip!

We will be on the July 16th sailing too. Driving down from Stockbridge GA.

• Like 1