Do Airlines drop rates closer to dates if they have empty seat??

starketcher

I only fly once, maybe twice a year, now. So I have a couple of questions:

It looks like we are driving (8hours) to Tampa in May bcs the tickets are about $200 each from ATL. I've been checking rates and they bounce btw 200-240. Today when I checked rates I mistakenly put in March instead of May...and I got a real surprise $120 r/t! The I saw the dates were wrong.

So do the airlins drop rates closer to the day of the flight inf they have not sold the seats? I know this is a chance but I could change my plans within the last week with no problem.

If that's $200 round trip, then you need to look into what else you would be spending to drive rather than fly. Gas parking and wear and tear, let alone the inconvenience of driving 8 hours each way.

Dan--Yeah, I have figured the aggravation and time of driving into the cost, hotel, gas, etc. I figure my break-even point is around $175 each. I tend to be on the thrifty side...some people call that cheap!

We are lookiing a small window to fly also. Either 2 flights Sat night (which would necessitate a hotel room and airport parking) or leaving early Sunday morning (we would stay at a park/sleep hotel in ATL)...I relaly dont want to fly out Sunday morning.

I might not be able to make the 9:00 flight out of ATL. We have my son's graduation at 4, so with a 2 hour graduation, 2 hour driving to ATL, we would push getting to ATL. So even if we fly, I am in a quandry as to which flight......

I am not sure if I book the 9:00 flight and miss it, if we would be able to take the 10:30 one?

Archived