visa's

brian t. allen

this question has already been answered 100 times. recently while enquiring about a cruise to south america i found out that U.S. citizens must also have a visa besides a passport to enter some south american countries. specifically brazil, at a cost of $199 !!!!!!!!!!!! also suriname and venezuela. does anyone know if any other south american countries require a visa? this could cause cruises to S.A. to become very expensive and is probably why these costs aren't mentioned much by travel agents.

fred: I cannot explain why some TA's don't alert you to the fact of a need for a visa. My TAs have done so, but I guess not all do.

With respect to other SA nations that require a visa, US citizens who fly into Chile do not need a visa, but they must pay a $100pp entry fee (in lieu of a visa) before they even get to immigration or customs. My understanding is that if you are disembarking from a cruise ship in Chile, there is no such fee.

i found out that U.S. citizens must also have a visa besides a passport to enter some south american countries. specifically brazil, at a cost of $199 !!!!!!!!!!!! also suriname and venezuela. does anyone know if any other south american countries require a visa? this could cause cruises to S.A. to become very expensive and is probably why these costs aren't mentioned much by travel agents.

Brian, a lot of times, when cruise ships stop at a port in which a Visa is required, the passengers are covered by a blanket Visa issued to the ship. So long as you stay with the ships excursions, you are covered. If you decide to venture off on your own, then you would be required to obtain your own Visa. I am going through this with a client doing a Baltic itinerary. On a Russian port call, he wants to visit Moscow. On his own, Visas for him and his wife would be about $400 - $500. He has decided to stick with the ship's tour to Moscow.

I'm leaving for Brazil in three weeks and they are one country where EVERYONE needs their own individual visa, not just a blanket visa from the cruise line. I knew from both my TA and the cruise line, three months ago, that I needed a visa, so if you weren't informed about this, it's the fault of either your TA or the cruise line. It's not the fault of any travel agent or cruise line that a country requires visas---it's just a governmental fact of life and something you cannot hold a cruise line accountable for. I've needed visas for many of my cruises including China, Australia, Vietnam, Russia, Sri Lanka, India and too many more to write. Yes, it's an extra expense, but as I said, it's not the doing of any cruise line or travel agent. If you don't like it, complain to the individual governments that require visas but don't fault the cruise line.

Actually, Brazil got nasty with their visa requirements for US citizens after 9/11 when the US got more strict with their visa requirements for foriegn nationals. Brazil was one of the first countries listed for more extensive visa requirements to enter the US. Their government got all puffy about it and then began to require more from US citizens entering Brazil.

PrincessYoga, the US got much more strict with South American visitors and visa requirements right after 9/11. Yes, the US has always required visas from some foreign nationals, but everything got much tighter after the attacks and Homeland Security insitituted newer and stricter rules. That's why Brazil tightened their requirements for US citizens. It used to be that a cruise ship could get a blanket visa for their passengers, just like they do in many countries such as Russia and Vietnam---that way the passengers didn't need to apply for individual visas. But now, individual visas are required, as opposed to blanket visas. Kind of a "tit for tat" thing. You know how governments can be. Heck, Venezuela has just threatened US airlines with the loss of their landing rights in all Venezuelan airports because of some tiff with the US government.

I misread that you meant individual visas. However, I do think it only right that other countries are more strict with their visa requirements with US citizens. THe UK has also talked about tightening visitor status for Americans from 6 to 3 months. Immigration and visa resrictions for those visting America have gotten really strict and even for non-resident US ctiizens. I am a dual national btween America and Ireland. Everytime I have gone to America since 9/11 I have gotten quizzed and challenged by Homeland Security about "why I am living outside of the US?" How long I am visiting and how often?" Why I am visiting etc?" My friend's baby was strip searched. God Bless the baby who while was waiting made a wee present in its nappy for them. The child was crying and they refused to let the mother change it even with supervision. My Irish husband is extensively searched and every flight even transfers. as were my inlaws.He is now fingerprinted and photographed. I was talking to a disabled friend last week who is just back from New York. He has steel plates and can't lift his arms very far or for too longs. He has shouted at for not keeping his arms up and told off for not bring a letter confriming his condition. Fair enough. I understand that America is nervous but the US government can not expect to do things like this and for other countries not to react. It is a said state of affairs and yes innocent travellers are harrassed for the action of a few. :)

Archived