Do you think jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard

cruiserking

Do you think jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard

• I do not feel jeans are appropriate aboard Cunard.
    • I think jeans are fine during the day but, not at night.
    • I think jeans are suitable dress anytime of the day.
    • No Opinion

Well, we DO bathe regularly (as in daily), and we didn't have all-night parties, nor did we trash the cabin or throw the television off the balcony. I DO wear either a tux or dinner jacket on formal nights and can, and do tie my own bowtie (can't stand wearing a clip-on tie--personal foible). So I guess "riff-raff" means calling crisps "potato chips" and saying "dance" instead of "donce".

For the record I can't manage to tie my own bow tie (I have tried but have given up:( ); "potato chips" is becoming an alternative for potato crisps and I would only say donce if I were talking about the class idiot!

We were travelling with friends from the UK and it was AMAZING. No matter what I asked for, the answer was almost always "No!" even from the QG Maitre'D. When my friend asked for it, with his Mancunian accent, the answer inevitably turned to "Yes".

I have never seen that (a member of staff saying no to one passenger and not to another) on the QE2. I have seen staff who are equally unpleasant regardless of Nationality, the Maitre 'd on my last trip fawned over a table of Yanks - we put that down to the fact that they'd probably tip well - but I don't think that had a strong adverse affect on our dinners.

Could it be the French fry on your shoulder?:D Were you looking for the crew to treat you as inferior?

We never ran into this nonsense on Caronia. Crew would tell us that in Cunard, getting transferred to the little ship was seen as a plum, because the crew was a real family, who bonded with their passengers as well. We STILL correspond with a few of them. That's why Caronia was our favourite ship for such a long time, even if it was, usually, a fogey freighter.

I've never been on the Caronia - the Saga Ruby now. I'm told that a lot of the crew is ex-Cunard. My parents are going in August and I've been speaking with Saga today making their reservation. Their bookings department was excellent - very helpful and not pushy in the slightest. If I was old enough (you have to be over 50:( ) then I'd have booked two cabins - the one for my parents and one for myself:). I think that you might find Saga Ruby offers what you want (Please don't take me as being funny recommending another ship - I think that we all have the right to have the best holiday we can).

NPP is another personal foible. I cannot STAND when ship photogs come up to you with the phony pirate with the plywood sword and the plastic parrot and will not have my picture taken with it. After the 1st cruise, I was done with it. So, "No Pirates, PLEASE!"

I agree with you - that sounds like something from the cheaper end of the tourist cruise market. I would hate that. But then I've never seen it on the QE2. The worst I've ever seen was a rather uncomfortable looking steward dressed as a Grenadier Guard - but there weren't any photographers, nothing to get you involved. (Or I suppose the Baked Alaska Parade in the Mauritania, again no professional photographers).

Haven't been on the QM2 yet. We've been cruising elsewhere.

I feel that the QM2 is a bit too much of a modern day cruise ship for my liking - I like things that are very traditional. Have a look at Saga Ruby - I think that she is still very much the Caronia.

.... We were travelling with friends from the UK and it was AMAZING. No matter what I asked for, the answer was almost always "No!" even from the QG Maitre'D. When my friend asked for it, with his Mancunian accent, the answer inevitably turned to "Yes".

Haven't been on the QM2 yet. We've been cruising elsewhere.

"Can't see the Mancunian accent cutting much ice on the QM 2 Old Boy - but it should come into its own in the Comedy Cabaret"

"Can't see the Mancunian accent cutting much ice on the QM 2 Old Boy - but it should come into its own in the Comedy Cabaret"

You're confusing your accents and genres old boy! Mancunians are not generally renowned for their contribution to 'Comedy Cabaret' but think: Happy Mondays, The Smiths, Inspiral Carpets, Oasis, Stone Roses, New Order- even the Bee Gees!

LOL!

Actually, Slow-Trot keeps cracking me up...

Did I ever mention the time my sister and I go wandering down Downing Street? The black gates are open..we go wandering through...we pass 10 Downing Street, my sister insists, "Take a picture!" Well, I'm not sure if it's the guys in the lime green vests staring at us or their Uzies in their hands but I'm thinking... "I don't think I really want to take a photo Op here, (EVEN if I may be charged $27.50!) :cool:

Later, my friend from London states; "you couldn't possibly have been down Downing Street! I have a press pass and I can't even get there!"

So much for being blonde and "pretending" :rolleyes: to be a "Dumb Yank", huh?

(Did I ever mention being "saved" by the President of the Communist Party in the north of France? )

Travel....priceless, isn't it?

NPP is another personal foible. I cannot STAND when ship photogs come up to you with the phony pirate with the plywood sword and the plastic parrot and will not have my picture taken with it. After the 1st cruise, I was done with it. So, "No Pirates, PLEASE!"

Heck, not even just one? (me!)

Well here's what you do. Take your own phony plastic sword (or pistol) and when they come up with Polly, you threaten them with your cutlass. While you're at it, I suppose you could have a hawk on your shoulder to eat the parrot- Or maybe drag a plastic or stuffed 'gator on a leash behind you? <LOL>

This I would like to see!

The "anti-touristy picture!" Sounds so very Carl Hiaasen!

(If ti's tourist season, then why can't we shoot them?)

Karie,

Who put her cutlass 'round many a mate's neck. Got me some nice booty, too!

Like every Cunard liner, the QM2 is a ship of her time. In the age we live in, jeans, shorts, and t-shirts are considered acceptable daytime attire at fine resorts. QM2 is not supposed to be a traditional ocean liner, but rather a modern interpretation of the ocean liner. On any given day on QM2, the vast majority of people wear casual vacation clothes.

If all you can complain about is how seeing people wear jeans during the day on a Cunard liner bothers you, perhaps you need to get a life.

Um..... was that meant to the few here who like posting sarcastic, yet harmless remarks...those whose humour is sometimes misunderstood or was that response directly to the numbers in the poll, if I may ask? :rolleyes:

(Tried getting one of those once, a real life...wouldn't you know...they didn't have one in my size..) ;)

Mancunians are not generally renowned for their contribution to 'Comedy Cabaret'

Isn't Corrie set in Manchester? Some of the plots are very funny:)

Later, my friend from London states; "you couldn't possibly have been down Downing Street! I have a press pass and I can't even get there!"

I believe you - Downing street was once open to the public until 15 - 20 years ago, although I assume that you mean more recently (I believe that as well).

If all you can complain about is how seeing people wear jeans during the day on a Cunard liner bothers you, perhaps you need to get a life.

Has anyone actually said that they object to seeing people wearing jeans (I'm assume that means denim) in the day? Thinking about it - it would give a lot more freedom and fun if all trousers, skirts, etc were banned during the day!

Isn't Corrie set in Manchester? Some of the plots are very funny:)

That quote was from Slow Foxtrot's disbelief that a Mancunian accent could charm the staff.

Corrie is set in Salford - different accent.

Thinking about it - it would give a lot more freedom and fun if all trousers, skirts, etc were banned during the day!

Now that would be a great leveller - but where would they stick the rhinestones?

Both, in fact. Some people here actually seem serious about banning jeans during the day.

The poll results are ridiculous! Well, what can one expect from a message board filled with avid Cunard fans that are stuck in the glory days of ocean travel.

That quote was from Slow Foxtrot's disbelief that a Mancunian accent could charm the staff.

Corrie is set in Salford - different accent.

To a Yorkshireman they're both on the wrong side of the Pennies:) They're the same place.

One has to admit that the sartorial faux pas is not confined to the lower echelons who dine in the Britannia Restaurant. Some time ago, on formal night, my neighbour Jonquil Carruthers arrived at table looking resplendent in his 'hunting pink' jacket. One has to admire his nerve, although our fellow diners were not amused. And neither was Jonquil when, on the following night, he was not invited to join us at the Captain's table. So, there you are, it's a funny old world. If it's not jeans, it's hunting jackets!

(Tried getting one of those once, a real life...wouldn't you know...they didn't have one in my size..) ;)

I couldn't afford the one I wanted. Had it all picked out, too!

Hmm, I wonder if I could trade in this ratty old one I have (all worn out, you know) for a new model!

Karie,

who guesses she'll stick with the devil she knows!

I couldn't afford the one I wanted. Had it all picked out, too!

Hmm, I wonder if I could trade in this ratty old one I have (all worn out, you know) for a new model!

Karie,

who guesses she'll stick with the devil she knows!

From what I understand..."real lives" aren't all they're cracked up to be...

Unless you really CAN afford one, of course! :eek:

No way do I think jeans should be allowed on any Cunard ship. This is a Ocean Liner not a cruise ship. People these days dress like slobs and is embarrassing to be around. At least on a Cunard ship people dress very nicely and is nice to be around. Cunard has had this reputation for 180 years and love how the tradition keeps going. That is why it is The Most Famous Oceanliner In The World!!!!!! :p

oh brother!:rolleyes:

oh brother!:rolleyes:

Hey! Not MY brother! I'd disown him if he acted imperious like that! <G>

Maddea- you look rather young for cruising alone! <G>

(from your avatar anyway! And they say the camera ages you!)

Karie,

who needs to go to bed!

I hope you wear a kilt on formal nights- that little bag will be so useful for your pennies!

:eek: :eek:

A kilt?

:eek: :eek:

My ancestors are all from the lowlands - they didn't wear kilts. Why do you think I suggested going trouserless?:D

... Some people here actually seem serious about banning jeans. Well, what can one expect from a message board filled with avid Cunard fans that are stuck in the glory days of ocean travel.

"Ho Ho, those days are long gone and will never return to Cunard. However, the Germans are having a decent attempt with the Deutschland. My neighbour Jonquil Carruthers recommends it for the aristocracy and all those who think Cunard are pandering to the unwashed masses. Sad to say but one has to hand it to Herr Fritz, he always seems more smartly dressed than the Americans and the new-age Brits. So, if you don't want to see people staggering about with the knees hanging out of their jeans then you should try the Deutschland. Fortunately, the vessel carries no guns!"

Jeans or not.

I must admit I often wear my favourite pair of jeans in the daytime. After all I have paid for my holiday I will wear what I like.

However, I wouldnt dream of wearing them for dinnner.

I wouldnt go into a fine city restaurant in my shorts and tee shirt, but what I wear at other times is my own choice.

Summary if you want to you wear em and enjoy the moment.

D

I respect the freedom of my fellow travellers, but in this case we are the only ones who can keep a nice tradition alive. Actually, in our days many efforts are made to save vanishing traditions, so this will not be so much out of trend, if you like... (he,he)

Slightly out ot theme, but I think still relative: I came onboard the Queen Mary 2 with just a dark suit in my suitcase. But I appreciated what I saw, and bought a tuxedo from the ship's shops.

If you want to wear jeans, why on earth come onboard such a ship? Only perhaps if you want to spoil its ambience and dilute its identity, as is the trend in our amazing, but flattening globalizing era...

But if you feel there is some worth in yourself and still not like the Cunard way, don't choose to destroy. There are so many other benevolent cruise lines out there, please feel free to travel on one of them.

QE2, QM2

and most nostalgically :

Stella Solaris (ex- Cambodge), Olympic (ex- Empress of Britain, Queen Anna Maria, Carnivale, Fiesta Marina), Pallas Athena (ex- Carla Costa, Flandre), Triton (ex- Cunard Adventurer, Sunward II), Oceanos (ex- Jean Laborde), City of Rhodos (ex- 33 Orientales)

I respect the freedom of my fellow travellers, but in this case we are the only ones who can keep a nice tradition alive. ...

If you want to wear jeans, why on earth come onboard such a ship? Only perhaps if you want to spoil its ambience and dilute its identity.... There are so many other benevolent cruise lines out there, please feel free to travel on one of them.

"Well said, Cameron old boy - that's told 'em straight! I like a man who speaks his mind. I'll stand you a couple of snifters if our paths ever cross in the Commodore Club. Motion seconded - if you must wear jeans then book with Windjammer or Mr Disney - you'll feel totally at home."

Archived