Viking Jupiter South America Jan 25-Feb 12 tipping?

BBCruisegal

Trying to figure out what, if anything, we need to take in local currency.  Previous travel was easier with just Euros or Pounds, but we are going to 4 different countries, each with a different currency, but sometimes only spending 1 day.  We are not shoppers, and assume that most meals can be put on plastic. But we have booked some shore excursions, through Viking and private, and want to know a guideline re: tipping. Any advice?  Thanks.

Four countries with four currencies!?!  A puzzle.  You're right ... cash for tipping is about all you'll need.  But I'd want some cash available in case I needed a taxi or whatever.  I'll stick my neck out here and say that I think American dollars will be fine, at least for the SEs booked through Viking.  Why not check with the private SE operators?    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BBCruisegal said:

Trying to figure out what, if anything, we need to take in local currency.  Previous travel was easier with just Euros or Pounds, but we are going to 4 different countries, each with a different currency, but sometimes only spending 1 day.  We are not shoppers, and assume that most meals can be put on plastic. But we have booked some shore excursions, through Viking and private, and want to know a guideline re: tipping. Any advice?  Thanks.

Prior to any cruise, we visit our local RBC, ordering about CAN $20 in the local currency for each country. Some currencies can take a week to reach the branch, so plan ahead, if considering this method.

When I provide a tip/gratuity it is for service above and beyond, so I have no wish to inconvenience the person by making them go to a bank to exchange the money. If the vendor requests being paid in a specific currency, I will acquire that currency and if a tip is warranted, will provide the same currency for a tip.

I find that currency exchanges are becoming increasingly fickle about the conditions of notes they accept for exchange. Basically, the currency must be in almost new condition to guarantee it is accepted. I recently had a number of notes refused because of pen marks on the note.

In most parts of the World, meals and most purchases can be paid with cards. 

• Like 1

We have found that in most countries - most - that the US dollar is good for tipping.

I don't disagree with Heidi13 at all and their method, we just have not done that ourselves.

We are Canadian, and we go to the bank - just did this yesterday - and get 70+ One Dollar US bills and some 5's and 10's.  We use the dollar bills for tipping the guides and bus drivers.

Why do we do this?  We find that on most Viking cruises, the guest demographic is primarily American and they are freely using the USD for tips and we just have followed suit whether good or bad.

One thing to note, unless you are tipping in local currency, do not ever give coins.  Loose coins in any currency are not typically able to be exchanged at a bank.

The other thing specifically that we found with Argentina and Buenos Aires, that they want CRISP NEW American bills.  We booked a private day tour in Buenos Aires, and guide expressed that the bills needed to be new'ish and not damaged or stained in any way.

Sorry if I am adding confusion to your question.

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

The other thing specifically that we found with Argentina and Buenos Aires, that they want CRISP NEW American bills.  We booked a private day tour in Buenos Aires, and guide expressed that the bills needed to be new'ish and not damaged or stained in any way.

This is now my primary reason for not using US $.

Just prior to the BoE removing the paper 50 pound notes from circulation, I took a number of them to be exchanged at our local bank. They were all newer notes, in excellent condition, that would have been accepted in any UK bank. However, upon inspection, our local bank refused 9 of them due to ink marks on the notes. Therefore, ensuring the notes are in new'ish condition is no longer a guarantee they will be accepted for exchange.

Since I only provide tips for great service, I would be extremely disappointed, if a guide that provided us great service was stuck with a foreign currency they couldn't exchange. Since we would have already sailed away, I would never even know about the issue, nor have an opportunity to fix it.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the advice from everyone. I understand what Heidi13 is saying as we ran into that problem with US$ in Zimbabwe in the late 80s. On checking with a representative from Viking, she recommended that what is most appreciated by locals is using $US for tipping in Chile and local currency in Argentina.  However, the new Argentine government just devalued their currency this week, and is talking about moving to dollarization.  I don't want to get Argentinian money now, only to have it be worthless by the time we get to Buenos Aires almost 2 months from now.  So, much as I would like to be able to tip in local currency, I think that the safest thing will be to get some $US.  Thanks everyone.

• Like 1