HAL Alaska Luggage Weight

MorganEffie

I wanted to clarify something I read in the booking information today. We are on the May 12th 14 day Yukon + Denali. In the booking info it says the following:

"For Alaska guests traveling by air between Whitehorse and/or Dawson City, passengers are limited to 2
checked bags with a maximum combined weight of 50 pounds and one carry-on item under 13 pounds per
person. All other baggage restrictions are determined by the airlines, and any baggage fees are the guest’s
responsibility. Please check with your airline directly for details regarding any additional baggage restrictions."

Am I reading it correctly that each checked back can only weight 25lbs? Does anyone have experience with this?

We also had that same notice 2 years ago on our Alaska Land Cruise. I believe it's because of the aircraft they use for the legs when they're transporting passengers.

You might want to call HAL to confirm it is correct. We struggled to get someone knowledgeable at HAL who could answer specific Land Cruise questions (vs regular cruise questions). We chalked it up to post Covid related staffing issues and hope they've resolved that so ypu might find someone to answer your questions. 

• Like 1

I had the same question when we were on a Y3L trip in '17. IIRC, our HAL tour host said not to worry because the flight from Fairbanks to Dawson was a charter, so any surcharges were waived. 

Good luck, enjoy the beautiful scenery! 

• Thanks 1

Each passenger would be allowed 50# for checked baggage.  If you have two bags per person that means the 50# could be split between the two bags.  If you have one bag each then the limit would be 50#.   This is between Whitehorse and Dawson City.  Dawson City probably still has a dirt landing strip.  

The year we flew between Vancouver and Whitehorse on the Y1L the plane was not a charter and one of the private passengers had checked some kind of frozen seafood that thawed on route to Whitehorse in the luggage compartment of the plane.  The melt permeated many of the soft sided bags.  The HAL staff at the Whitehorse Westmark hotel replaced the damaged luggage.  (I think they bought the replacement luggage at Walmart).  The laundry staff at the hotel  laundered our clothing overnight for free if requested.   The hardest part was getting a damaged men’s suit dry cleaned.  We picked up the dry cleaned suit a few days later at the Westmark in Fairbanks where it had been taken for dry cleaning. 

You’ll have a memorable journey with a fun group of fellow travelers.  Have a wonderful trip!  The HAL tour guide will be a friend and problem solver throughout your journey!

• Like 1