Denali NP Shuttle Planning

tempoct

Hi,

AFAIK, people tend to recommend to take shuttle rather than book the Tundra Wilderness tour since the shuttle goes much further into the park.

I wonder that, does the shuttle is like a bus that we can get off/ get on any of them? or we need to stay with our shuttle only?

In real life, Does the shuttle arrive and leave immediately for each stops? or they stay at each stop for a while?

Also, what real life recommendation or each stop? Do we need all stops?

Can it be done for 1 day? I have around 1.5+ days for inside Denali NP.

Here's what I found so far from the park site;

http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/visitorinfo/bus/destinations.html

schedule: http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/visitorinfo/bus/2006%20ADVANCE%20RESERVATION%20SHUTTLE%20SCHEDULE.pdf

:)

There is a restroom stop every 1.5 hours or so for 15-20 minutes. We were on a Toklat River shuttle. Our turnaround break was 20-30 minutes. There was a park ranger at that stop, plus there were some antlers that we could handle, ... . The bus will also stop for any wildlife sightings, but no one gets off the bus there.

Most people ride the same shuttle round-trip. There are some hikers that will get off, then catch another shuttle -- based on available seating.

Hopefully this helps.

Toklat River isn't far enough, though - the best views of Denali (Mt. McKinley to some people) are a few miles past that. Go to at least Fish Creek. As Joy said, most people stay on the same shuttle out and back.

Murray

Toklat River isn't far enough, though - the best views of Denali (Mt. McKinley to some people) are a few miles past that. Go to at least Fish Creek. As Joy said, most people stay on the same shuttle out and back.

Murray

I agree with Murray. Due to timing, our only option was the Toklat shuttle. No Denali views, though. We were lucky to see Denali for much of the next day as we traveled to Talkeetna on the train -- and at the Princess McKinley Lodge.

Thank you all. I'm trying to go as further west as possible (Kantishna, is there anything there except lodging?).

The reason I ask if the shuttle is not staying at each stop would be better off for us. We will arrive Denali NP and have full afternoon before another full day. If possible, we think about going to closer stop points on the first afternoon and go to the further stop points on the next day, without having to spend time for the points we already visited.

We might do one or two shorter hikes (few miles). Not really interested in long hike. Any particular stop to recommend?

I have done Wonder Lake shuttle many times, always a day trip. You stay at Wonder Lake about 45 min. It's about the same amount of time if your destination is Fish Creek, with the Wonder Lake bus stopping there about 30 minutes. I stay on the same bus.

Kantishna is all private property so if you take the SHUTTLE bus, essentially, you just turn back, Wonder Lake is superior in my opinion. Kantishna is best for overnights, I do not recommend the lodge day trips, essentially a very costly lunch. :)

Are you driving??? Spend some time on the Park Road going to Savage River. Last year I spent about an hour watching 3 bears near the wash.

If you are there early enough, the Park Service runs a free shuttle to Savage River with ranger hikes/programs.

Whether you go to Toklat River-mile 53, Fishcreek-mile 66, or Wonder Lake-mile 85, the shuttles will be on the same 95 mile road. They will stop at the same stops along the way, with the only difference being that the shorter ones will turn around and head back after a 20-30 minute stop, while the longer ones will keep going to their destination after a short stop. If you get off to hike along the road for a ways, you then try to flag down another shuttle along the road and get on if they have any empty seats.

Thank you all. Usually, how's the availability of the seat in high season? I meant, if I get off and there should be some seat available on the next bus, or it is always pretty full. I don't want to wait for the 3rd bus since it will be a lot of time!

If you are going in July or early August, you may have a problem with that, depending on how many people you have, how early a shuttle you start out on and how far you are going. We have never gotten off of the shuttle, but have picked up many hikers, campers, photographers along the road. But our trips have been at start of season or in late Aug, mainly because they are less crowded. Maybe others will comment on their luck doing this in the busiest part of the season. I think you will be allright but I wouldn't wait until the last bus of the day either!!!

Damn. Thanks to all for the great info. I have a party of 5 doing the shuttle in mid July and I was planning on going to Kantishna and getting off and walking around a bit. From your descriptions, that would be a bad idea because we'd have a problem getting back. I have two days in Denali, so I guess I'll plan to take one day and do a full Wonder Lake or Kantishna shuttle tour, and the other go somewhere closer and get off and walk around.

Steve in Philly

Damn. Thanks to all for the great info. I have a party of 5 doing the shuttle in mid July and I was planning on going to Kantishna and getting off and walking around a bit. From your descriptions, that would be a bad idea because we'd have a problem getting back. I have two days in Denali, so I guess I'll plan to take one day and do a full Wonder Lake or Kantishna shuttle tour, and the other go somewhere closer and get off and walk around.

Steve in Philly

IF you are taking the Shuttle to Kantishna you will not be "walking around" it is all private property and essentially you will be either going to a lodge- prearranged or getting back on the bus. If you want some "walking around" get the shuttle to Wonder Lake.

For clairfication- I suggest you go to your destination and then get off the bus for hiking on the way back. Buses do NOT go out completely full to allow for picking up passengers along the way. If the bus is full- they do fill every seat, they will sometimes be able to tell you how long before the next bus. There are plenty of ranger activites to consider listed http://www.nps.gov/dena

• 3 weeks later...

My friend booking our trip just booked the Kantishna "tour" bus for us - should I try to stop her before it is confirmed? How far is Kantishna compared to Fish Creek or Wonder Lake? She's done a lot of work so I don't want to insult her - but if it's really not worth it - I can open my big mouth.

need to let her know soon. Thanks for any help!

Are you driving??? Spend some time on the Park Road going to Savage River. Last year I spent about an hour watching 3 bears near the wash.

Will the rental car companies let you drive that area? I thought I read that they will not let you drive into Denali. I wasn't sure if that meant we could only drive into the entrance of the park and then leave the car. Thanks!

Will the rental car companies let you drive that area? I thought I read that they will not let you drive into Denali. I wasn't sure if that meant we could only drive into the entrance of the park and then leave the car. Thanks!

You can drive the first 15 miles and it is a paved road.

My friend booking our trip just booked the Kantishna "tour" bus for us - should I try to stop her before it is confirmed? How far is Kantishna compared to Fish Creek or Wonder Lake? She's done a lot of work so I don't want to insult her - but if it's really not worth it - I can open my big mouth.

need to let her know soon. Thanks for any help!

Is this a day tour??? Frankly- yes, consider just booking the shuttle to Wonder Lake, less than half the cost and only 5 miles difference- minus the way over priced included lunch- unless that is a priority??? Essentially you have no time on the day trips for much more than a short walk around, if this is an overnight option- definately consider it, determine what activites are included and what is the most interest.

Archived