Cunard Queen's/Princess Grill suites: 3rd person?

wills47

Greetings, I apologize if these questions are rudimentary but google was unhelpful.  My parents have always wanted to do a transatlantic Cunard crossing.  They are older, however and frail.  I would like, as a singleton to do this with them, but I'm having trouble figuring out the rules.  They would travel in one of the upper suite cabins which are the Princess and Queen's Grill?  Does this fare class remove a lot of the hassle factor?  Easy embarkation and calm service?   Then the question is for me.  Are there singleton cabins in that class?  Do they have single supplement fares in the upper class cabins?  I can't seem to discern that.  Although undesirable, what is the feasibility of me sharing their suite?  Do they have a suite amenable to three people?  Due to the class difference on Cunard, it isn't really possible for me to book a lower cabin and then dine with them, correct?  The idea is to spend time with them on the voyage, if I am in a different fare class how hard is that? 

Many thanks!

If you want space but wish to dine together in PG/QG, simple solutions on the Vistas are expensive but feasible. I would book a Q1 for the main bedroom and the separate bedroom/snug, or a Q2, again for the main bedroom and for the sofa bed in the sitting room

or

book any PG/QG cabin with you as the third person in that cabin, but also book a cheapy inside in which to sleep.

No idea  about QM2 but you can book three people into the cabin for dining purposes and book a basic inside for sleeping in.

Regarding the Vistas, if you book a Q4 - called Penthouse - you could have a semi-private area for sleeping.  The suites are half divided by a wall and half by a heavy curtain.  The bed chesterfield is, in the suite we had on the QE, a single pull-out bed.  That may not be the most comfortable, but it could be a reasonable fare. The Q4s are a lot cheaper than the larger suites and not much  more  than the Q5 & Q6 on the Vistas. 

The Q4s on the QM2 are much larger. We have not had one but had a look. I don't remember any semi-division other than a dining alcove. Perhaps someone who has travelled in one could comment. There are not many of them and they are considerably more pricey than those on the QE. The Q5 & Q6 suites that we have had have a sofa-bed but there is no privacy as it is just a big room.

On QM2 PG suites, there is a large couch to sleep on that is very comfortable (Several quality couch naps as evidence). If you don’t mind sleeping on a couch, consider that. Privacy will be problematic in most suites except for higher Q’s. A Q3 has a separate bedroom from the living area for more privacy. 
There’s plenty of wardrobe and storage space for three in PG on QM2 and the bathroom is very nice. 
Good luck!

2 hours ago, NE John said:

On QM2 PG suites, there is a large couch to sleep on that is very comfortable (Several quality couch naps as evidence). If you don’t mind sleeping on a couch, consider that. Privacy will be problematic in most suites except for higher Q’s. A Q3 has a separate bedroom from the living area for more privacy. 
There’s plenty of wardrobe and storage space for three in PG on QM2 and the bathroom is very nice. 
Good luck!

The couches we have had in PG were all convertible to a single bed. They were similar to the traditional sofa bed on trains.  A notice said passengers shouldn't convert the sofa into a bed and ask the steward to do it. I was curious and managed to convert it to a bed but getting it back was not as easy as those on trains. The bed seemed comfortable - even though I only sat on it and didn't sleep on it.

Thank you for all of the responses.  They are very helpful!  I thought it would be easier to line up a transatlantic crossing with another cruise around Ireland but it isn't proving so.  I thought Cunard's crossings were more frequent than they are. It seems like such a civilized and gentle way to get across the Atlantic and easier on my elder parents.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

I hope you all have a lovely time, wills47. I really like Victoria2's idea of paying the minimum you can for an additional inside cabin for you to sleep in, while booking all three of you in QG so you can all enjoy the whole experience together. Probably worth the extra expense to ensure everyone has space and privacy when required. My dream is to sail from Southampton to NY on QM2. Bon voyage.

Edited by maggielou362
typo