Installation of Starlink on all HAL Ships Completed

BermudaBound2014

On 12/20/2023 at 6:56 PM, OlsSalt said:

Wonder how this will work on the Antarctic cruises when the former connectivity waves bounced off the curve of the earth's pole. (That is as technical as you will get from illiterate me ,and my cartoon version of the alleged problem in this part of the globe.)

Do Starlink satellites avoid this alleged whole earth curvature issue?

Star link has satellites in polar orbit so it should not be and issue.

• Like 2

I just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam on Saturday.  For our cruise, the internet was down more than it was up for me the entire week! Most aggravating.  Additionally, the TV satellite was terrible the entire week, with entire days or evenings where we couldn't get anything besides the lifeboat information. When we COULD get a movie to play, it would cut out after 10 minutes or so and we would have to re-start. I hope they get the bugs worked out, but for this cruise - HAL should be refunding money paid for internet packages!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I’m currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the standard internet that comes with the have it all package is just as bad if not worse than the pre Starlink internet we had on the Oosterdam last summer in Europe. Nearly half the texts we are sending get marked as not delivered. A few members of our group have paid to upgrade to the premium plan and it makes a big difference. 

Edited by landlocked12
Added information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, landlocked12 said:

I’m currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the standard internet that comes with the have it all package is just as bad if not worse than the pre Starlink internet we had on the Oosterdam last summer in Europe. Nearly half the texts we are sending get marked as not delivered. A few members of our group have paid to upgrade to the premium plan and it makes a big difference. 

Very useful info: good to know, as I was trying to decide whether to get the premium plan.

Posted (edited)

Currently on K-dam in Pacific to/from Hawaii - have only a few short-lived instances of internet (or TV) being out. Today has been the worst; there have been several times the TV lost connection long enough it went to sleep. But during those times, internet on my phone or computer were just temporary hiccups. I did have to upgrade to premium to be able to do Teams & Skype calls.

Same experience last month on NS from Rome to FLL.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Thanks 1