Handicap Taxi to Atlantis/Nassau

RZM2005

Hi Everyone!

This will be my second cruise, but first time with Royal Caribbean. I will be going to the Bahamas (Coco Cay and Nassau) on Sovereign of the Seas. I heard there are beach wheelchairs in Coco Cay so i'm looking foward to that.

My questions is does anyone know a Handicap transportation company in Nassau that can take me to Atlantis if there is any? And how is Sovereign of the Seas with Handicap Accessibility?

Thanks.:) :)

I don't know of any transportation that is affordable. If I remember correctly there is only one company on that island and you are looking at at least $100. I was there September of 2004. I don't know what you are expecting at Atlantis but my parents went there Feb. of 2005 and were rather disappointed.

If you can transfer, and have a folding wheelchair, then I suggest a station wagon taxi. The company that is in Nassau rents out the *whole* bus if it is available (most times it isn't) , which is kind of cost prohibitive for one person. I think they also have a two hour minimum charge. And they are *real* flakey.

I also agree with U2 about Atlantis. No big deal. I wasn't impressed.

Candy

Unfortunately I have a power wheelchair and cannot transfer.

I have seen pictures of Atlantis that my friends took while they were there and it looked beautiful and heard there isn't really much to do in Nassau besides going to Paradise Island. Thanks for your input though.

Overall is Nassau wheelchair friendly??

Unfortunately I have a power wheelchair and cannot transfer.

I have seen pictures of Atlantis that my friends took while they were there and it looked beautiful and heard there isn't really much to do in Nassau besides going to Paradise Island. Thanks for your input though.

Overall is Nassau wheelchair friendly??

Nassau is NOT wheelchair friendly, scooter friendly, or, otherwise, other than foot-friendly.

You can take a water taxi to Paradise Island, they dock not far from the cruiseline pier. They will also, probably, hoist your chair on board, they lifted my scooter over the edge of the pier, down a step or two and helped me join it aboard the water taxi. Then, across the bay, they unloaded me in reverse and off I went to tour Atlantis...There are many sets of stairs and several elevators there, but all the elevators have child-preventative keys so you have to hunt up the keyholder for each elevator...When the tour was over (I took a HAL excursion so the tour guide had all the elevator keys) I scootered back to the water taxi pier where, in front of dozens of return travelers, they refused to return me to the ship...SO, if you're looking for a bit of adventure, try the Water Taxi. Just before the Oosterdam was to depart, the Water Taxi company came up with a van that returned me to the ship so I know that accessible vans DO exist, depending on how your chair has to be loaded... There is adventure to be had in Nassau, though...Drop Dead curb cuts, broken sidewalks, a "running of the bulls" type game you can play with street traffic, and a really close-aisled shopping area where you can play chicken with the vendors and their drape-covered tables... I've been there 4 times and am content to stay on the ship now that I've discovered a dead body (woman) down an alley, been offered drugs by a hairy resident, and propositioned by a taxi driver...or maybe he was just admiring my dog....Have fun, whatever you decide....

Archived