shore excurions close to dock time

pookeycat

What happens if I book a shore excursion and we are late getting into a port?

Here's the situation:

We are scheduled to arrive in Ketchican at 1pm. We are looking at doing the Wilderness Crab feed. This excursion can only be booked through the ship. The only time that we can book it is at 1:45.

What happens if we get to port late for some reason? Do we end up getting a refund for the excursion? Because I am assuming that they can't just rescedule the excursion for a later time once hte ship is docked.

Sorry, 1st time cruiser here and just want to make sure the bases are all covered.

If you book excursions through the ship, then they should handle the situation for you; the tour could be shortened and/or time-shifted or cancelled, but you won't be stuck with a total loss, a positive when booking through the ship. It's when you do independent excursions that you need to make sure that you have your bases covered (know the tour operators' policies for refunds, etc.)

As already said, if it is a ship excursion, they know the ship will be late and will adjust their tours accordingly. On our last Celebrity Alaskan cruise, we were late into two ports and we had independent tours booked. When we first boarded the ship and read the letter in our cabin, we rushed back out and called each of them to let them know. Cap Larry of Orca Enterprises in Juneau and Jim with Southeast aviation in Ketchikan both rescheduled us.

Then to top it off, we were even later than rescheduled in Juneau and they still took care of us by grouping all Summit people on their last tour and started it about 1/2 late. So, most reputable vendors will do what they can to get your business.

Thanks everyone....

That's pretty much what I thought, but I just need to hear it from someone else to ease my mind!

Last thing I need on my honeymoon is cancelled excursions! I wanna see it all (even though I know I don't have time for EVERYTHING!!)

• 1 month later...

We're doing Captain Larry's whale watch and the Coastal heli icefield. Does Island Wings glacier landing/fjord tour go to the same place? Also considering Misty and glacier with southeastern. Dh doesn't want duplication? Would there be? He likes the prices of the shorter tours. Imagine that!! Which flight tours with which company have people done?

Thanks

Archived