Bicycle Rentals in New Zealand

unclegrandpa

I am planning to rent a bicycle to ride on the off-road trails or go to some hiking trails from the port and just for general sightseeing. The ports of call are Dunedin, Timaru, Wellington, Napier, and Tauranga.

Would I usually need to rent a bicycle in advance or is it possible to do it on the spot? I found some stores in Dunedin and Wellington. But I have not received any response from them yet. I will probably call them on skype or something like that if no one here responds.

Is it ok to leave a bicycle at the hiking trail head or is it uncommon/unsafe?

We rented bikes in two locations on our December 9 Celebrity Edge...Napier and Dunedin. We used Napier Bike and tour and did the Waterways to Winery self tour (rental bike, helmet, map) and they pick you up at the Church Road Winery at a set time. It was across the street from where the bus drop you off from the port and they did a great job. For Dunedin, we used ihirebikedunedin.com or something like that. We met at their office/home in Dunedin or drop it off at the Library in Port Chambers (recommended). We did the loop with the port to port bike ferry and had an awesome day. The bike trails in New Zealand were absolutely beautiful. 

On 12/28/2023 at 8:29 PM, Ja9Clay said:

We rented bikes in two locations on our December 9 Celebrity Edge...Napier and Dunedin. We used Napier Bike and tour and did the Waterways to Winery self tour (rental bike, helmet, map) and they pick you up at the Church Road Winery at a set time. It was across the street from where the bus drop you off from the port and they did a great job. For Dunedin, we used ihirebikedunedin.com or something like that. We met at their office/home in Dunedin or drop it off at the Library in Port Chambers (recommended). We did the loop with the port to port bike ferry and had an awesome day. The bike trails in New Zealand were absolutely beautiful. 

Did you have to make any reservations or did they have bicycles available?