Five photo package worth it?

What photo opportunities exist on the Sapphire (Alaska), outside the portrait studio? We were potentially interested in purchasing the five photo package before the cruise, but I wasn't sure if we'd be able to find enough photo opportunities without having to go to the studio (we don't really want to go all the way to Alaska to spend time in the portrait studio). The website says, "Choose your 5 favorite photos from our Snap Shots, Cruise Moments and Perfect Portraits prints" but I can't find where they explain what those capitalized terms mean. Thanks!

The ships photo studio will have different  backgrounds setup usually every evening. There will be setups at each port usually at arrival times and they will also take photos in the dining room during formal nights, so there will be many opportunities to ‘pose’ for pictures. The portrait studio known as the Platinum Studio is a separate studio for Black and white and is a separate package. You have to setup a reservation for a sitting at the Platinum Studio, no fee and no obligation to purchase, examples of Platinum studio pictures will be on display. Platinum studio will produce a slide show of pictures taken for you to choose and prints are done off site and mailed to you in a few weeks.

@etphonehome24...welcome to Cruise Critic!

We generally never purchase the standalone photo package(s) on our cruises.  That being said, for our last 2 cruises we booked with the Premier fare package which includes *all* pictures taken by ship photographers.  You only get 3 actual prints but you can get every photo as a digital download to your phone.  They are very good quality, high resolution pics.  Going this route you can get as many prints as you like once you get home.

19 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

@etphonehome24...welcome to Cruise Critic!

We generally never purchase the standalone photo package(s) on our cruises.  That being said, for our last 2 cruises we booked with the Premier fare package which includes *all* pictures taken by ship photographers.  You only get 3 actual prints but you can get every photo as a digital download to your phone.  They are very good quality, high resolution pics.  Going this route you can get as many prints as you like once you get home.

Thanks! Where do we go to get pictures taken? Do we have to go to a studio or are there photographers that roam (like during the scenic cruising part)? It sounds like you can get photographs during formal nights in the mdr. I haven’t cruised since the 90s/early 00s, but I remember they (Celebrity, in my experience) also took your picture when you get on the ship. Is that still a thing?

I just don’t want to waste money on a package we won’t use! Premier/plus plans aren’t worth it for us, either (already ran those numbers).

You will *occasionally* see a "roaming" photographer, sometimes in a dining room (that has diminished quite a bit). More often when you disembark in a port they will be set up to snap you with the ship in the background. On most levels of the Piazza there will be a setup near the elevator or a dining room with the common background of various scenes.

I have seen them snapping pics upon embarkation at *some* ports...not all.

You *can* go to the studio...most people opt for the more casual settings in the piazza.

13 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You will *occasionally* see a "roaming" photographer, sometimes in a dining room (that has diminished quite a bit). More often when you disembark in a port they will be set up to snap you with the ship in the background. On most levels of the Piazza there will be a setup near the elevator or a dining room with the common background of various scenes.

I have seen them snapping pics upon embarkation at *some* ports...not all.

You *can* go to the studio...most people opt for the more casual settings in the piazza.

Thank you! That is very helpful. 

@etphonehome24, I just got off the Sapphire and was on the Sapphire last June for a roundtrip Vancouver Alaska sailing. For Alaska, the photographers will also roam the decks during Glacier viewing days to snap photos of passengers with the scenery in the background. Inside they will have various ‘backgrounds’ setup on Deck 7, by Crooners, across from Explorers lounge, across from the Internet cafe by the photo studio desk and the Elevator lobby of the midship elevators. They will also use the elevator lobby of mid ship elevators on deck 6 and the staircase in the Piazza on formal nights.

They will also be taking photos of those pouring onto the Champagne tower on Captains welcome formal night. Usually all background location will be setup on the first formal night. Other nights some locations may not be used and or closed as the photographer is roaming the dining rooms or on a break.

Just now, wallyj said:

@etphonehome24, I just got off the Sapphire and was on the Sapphire last June for a roundtrip Vancouver Alaska sailing. For Alaska, the photographers will also roam the decks during Glacier viewing days to snap photos of passengers with the scenery in the background. Inside they will have various ‘backgrounds’ setup on Deck 7, by Crooners, across from Explorers lounge, across from the Internet cafe by the photo studio desk and the Elevator lobby of the midship elevators. They will also use the elevator lobby of mid ship elevators on deck 6 and the staircase in the Piazza on formal nights.

They will also be taking photos of those pouring onto the Champagne tower on Captains welcome formal night. Usually all background location will be setup on the first formal night. Other nights some locations may not be used and or closed as the photographer is roaming the dining rooms or on a break.

Thank you!

When you have Premiere package the digital photos can also be downloaded to a key stick. On our last cruise I downloaded the images to my phone and had the key stick full of photos. 

2 hours ago, ghgeckos said:

When you have Premiere package the digital photos can also be downloaded to a key stick. On our last cruise I downloaded the images to my phone and had the key stick full of photos. 

On the Emerald and Discovery last year and the photo department gave me a complimentary usb/flash drive with all my photos, last month on the Sapphire with the premier package, the photo department said if I wanted a flash drive, I would have to purchase one. So they are not being consistent.

The 5 photo package includes print and digital pics. If you only want digital pics, then it’s cheaper without the package. I forget the price, but I think the digital pics were $15 each and can be downloaded into the app and then saved on your phone.