Lincoln Center Stage on Nieuw Statendam?

57 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

There was a VERY large outpouring of displeasure on CC when HAL announced no more Lincoln Center, which fell on deaf ears at the HAL administrative towers.

It seems most complaints fall on those deaf ears.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulvdb1 said:

hmm. we were probably on around the same cruise. I thought LCS was the one redeeming feature on Noordam. There was a packed crowd for EVERY single one of their performances. I had to get in at least 15min before to get a seat. It was also in a pretty good location. I had heard just afterwards that the company decided that LCS having their own dedicated location didn't earn them any money (no bar) so it was scrapped for simplistic dollar reasons. Problem is that if this was a unique selling feature for the line (which it was) then why would future cruisers pick Holland America?

I managed to listen to all of their performances and it seemed like a really good program - with quite a bit of very high quality music and playing. It seemed like these guys got to choose their music - unlike the rock guys who had to play the same old rubbish every night. 

It's true there was no bar at LCS. And service during a performance would have been disruptive, as seats were crowded together (except on Pinnacle ships). But, as you did, many people arrived early to get a seat. HAL could have sent one or two bar waiters from another bar to take and deliver orders before the program started. I would have enjoyed sipping an after-dinner drink while I listened to LC, but I didn't want to take the time to go to a bar instead of claiming a seat.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It's true there was no bar at LCS. And service during a performance would have been disruptive, as seats were crowded together (except on Pinnacle ships). But, as you did, many people arrived early to get a seat. HAL could have sent one or two bar waiters from another bar to take and deliver orders before the program started. I would have enjoyed sipping an after-dinner drink while I listened to LC, but I didn't want to take the time to go to a bar instead of claiming a seat.

This is a fantastic idea that HAL should seriously consider. Many symphony orchestras offer pre-concert cocktail hours, some accompanied by chamber music or as part of a lecture series. If there was a dedicated pre-concert cocktail/hors d'oeuvres time, with bartenders on hand to refresh drinks between musical selections, it could be a more upscale social event cruisers can intentionally attend, rather than pass through casually on their way to other events (which is disruptive for musicians, too).

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 6:21 PM, VMax1700 said:

I found my post about LCS from this summer.  It was on Nieuw Statendam in August.

I have copied the post:

Tonight was Lincoln Center Presents........

We went to the 9.30 performance.  There were 5 musicians - :Piano, Violin, Cello, Guitar and woodwind (flute/clarinet).  

There are 35 brand new arrangements for HAL in conjunction with Lincoln Center.  Tonight's show was named 'Classical Remix' and the pieces performed were:

Mozart - Overture Marriage of Figaro,

Strauss - Blue Danube Waltz

JS Bach - Air from Suite no 3 in D maj. (Air on the g string)

Joseph Bologne (Chevalier de St Georges) - Allegro from Symphony no 5 Pastorella

Bizet - Carmen Habanera

Chopin - Nocturne E flat maj. 

Beethoven - Symphony no 3 Eroica, 1st Movement

Rossini - Barber of Seville Overture.

Friday night is the first performance of 'Americana'.

20230816_214232.thumb.jpg.dc8bd1e6e608909c08bbffe2c0c16d63.jpg

There was nothing like this on NS in November, sadly.

I may be in the minority, but having the LCS name ensured a high level of musicianship among the performers. I never felt the players were constrained to a rigid rotation but they did play certain programs that made sense, e.g., a focus on a specific composer or a type of music such as tango.

Adagio strings — like other classical groups on other lines — could be good or only middling. Those groups, mainly from Eastern Europe, play prettily but don’t tend to tackle anything too difficult. 

If I could have one 2024 wish for HAL, it would be the return of LCS or a TRUE equivalent to all ships and itineraries.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If I could have one 2024 wish for HAL, it would be the return of LCS or a TRUE equivalent to all ships and itineraries.

From your lips to God's ear!

• Like 6

On 1/2/2024 at 1:48 PM, rj59 said:

HAL is still the only cruise line that is too cheap to pay for a cast of singers and dancers and production shows. 

100% this, I don't know where they get their dancers from but I'm yet to see a show where they are up to the choreography. The slow, classical numbers are mostly ok but when it comes to the upbeat stuff, I can't watch. And omg please stop doing the latin show, or at least get some basic training in latin dance technique.

As an ex-latin dance professional I understand I may be watching with a different eye than most but when you compare the standard to those on other ships, there is a huge difference. 

We always enjoyed the LCS though after a couple of cruises, sad to see it gone, although they did need to update their material.

The various troupes I've seen under the banner Step One Dance Company have been professional-grade. On our last two cruises their scheduled performances had to be shuffled on account of rolling seas, but when they did get to perform, I think they put on good, enjoyable programs. On our last cruise in July, they performed three times and introduced a new (for me) themed show. Just as I will gladly hear some symphonies and other classical compositions over and over again, it doesn't bother me that Step One performed the same ballets.

I am of a quite different opinion about the BBC Earth film. It was not inflicted upon us on the last cruise and if I never again see those snakes in pursuit of the lizard hatchlings, or field mouse versus owl, I'll be content.

Come to think of it, perhaps HAL shelved the BBC Earth schtick because with the loss of LCS, they couldn't field a live orchestra for the sound accompaniment.

• Like 3

We were on the Oosterdam last fall going form Athens to Fort Lauderdale a 28 day cruise and either in Civitavecchia or Barcelona the new  " Traveling " Lincoln Center had come on board ship and treated us to 2 concerts on the main stage on 2 evenings to a full room , Piano , Cello , Violin , Guitar and Flute/ Clarinet / Saxofoon .  They received standing ovations playing the adapted classics and also some South American compositions . 

They explained that indeed the plan was to go from ship to ship , they looked a little more " mature " players versus what we had seen  over the last 3 or so years of the L C quartets , and also told us that they had studied in some 34 numbers specially adapted and composed for concerts like this as directed by head office .

We were kind of lucky that the ship after we visited Malaga changed coarse and we had to go over the Canary Islands instead of Madeira or the Azores due to a huge storm system so they were stuck on the ship for a few extra days and three of the five treated us for a couple more nights in the "Old" space where Adagio used to play to some extra concerts . The pianist for instance played a fantastic Piano Concert ( by heart ) and the guitarist some Spanish classic compositions .

I do not know if there is only one or more than one quintet on the road for the 9 ships for cruises longer than 10 days . Let's hope that what they told us is the plan for the next few years ! 

Tony 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I am hoping to hear LCS or some classical music on both upcoming cruises. A 13 night on the Volendam in April/May and a 29 night on the Rotterdam in late September/October. They are a huge reason I love Holland America.

• Like 3

On 1/5/2024 at 9:48 AM, Petronillus said:

The various troupes I've seen under the banner Step One Dance Company have been professional-grade.

I am of a quite different opinion about the BBC Earth film. It was not inflicted upon us on the last cruise and if I never again see those snakes in pursuit of the lizard hatchlings, or field mouse versus owl, I'll be content.

I couldn't watch any of the One Step shows. They were hopeless on our cruise. I had hoped we would have had some real theatre productions but - NOTHING! HAL don't have any interest in paying for performers. I ended up seeing zero of the evening shows - a first for me. 

The BBS Earth film was tolerable due to the LCS performers, whom I was more interested in. 

The "dueling" pianists were really average as well. Even though I am not a pianist I am still enough of a muso to know that their playing was rubbish. 

The Rock performers probably would have been good if they could pick their own songs. They looked bored, and I was bored. They didn't even attempt to add in any local songs for our region. Lots of rock songs that may have been popular somewhere else. ...and to add insult to injury the BB Kings concept was killed a few weeks before we cruised. Same musos but likely something they would have performed better. 

As a person who enjoys entertainment on a cruise, I just can't see any reason to go on a HAL cruise anymore. One was enough (and it was EYE WATERINGLY EXPENSIVE - NYE cruise does that). 

23 hours ago, paulvdb1 said:

I couldn't watch any of the One Step shows. They were hopeless on our cruise. I had hoped we would have had some real theatre productions but - NOTHING! HAL don't have any interest in paying for performers. I ended up seeing zero of the evening shows - a first for me. 

I’ve seen the shows four times now all on different ships and while I wouldn’t go that far, they were all quite poor. They mostly seem to do the balletic dances well but as soon as the tempo goes up, there’s no technique, no poise, no dancing, just running from line to line and striking a pose. 

On the Koningsdam right now and first show is tonight, I plan to go because I really want to see them do well, and I love a good dance show. Fingers crossed this is the ensemble that proves me wrong.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Two years ago we gave HAL a go because of the variety of 

music that was on offer, namely a rock band, LCS and the two

pianists. Our four experiences on NS and Oosterdam have

been perfect for us although the loss of classical music on

NS last November was disappointing. I gather just one 

pianist is now the order of the day on a couple of ships. I

hope that may not be correct and that HAL maintain their

unique approach to music which sets them apart from

every other cruise line.

We were on the Oosterdam in November 2023 and had the Lincoln Center musicians, just a different format. It was held on Main Stage and had an enthusiastic packed crowd each night they played. We were told that it is not gone, just less frequent as the group moves from ship to ship. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jljcruise said:

We were on the Oosterdam in November 2023 and had the Lincoln Center musicians, just a different format. It was held on Main Stage and had an enthusiastic packed crowd each night they played. We were told that it is not gone, just less frequent as the group moves from ship to ship. 

.....but that IS effectively gone for anyone who is on one of the ships were the LCS are not.

Also, various cruise directors have said that the LCS contract is over and has not been renewed. I suppose it is possible that they could get a group on board under the same terms as a guest performer, but it seems a bit unlikely given that HAL seemed bent on getting out of the contract.

Finally, a classical quartet performing on a large stage has its own issues -- do you recalled if these performances were amplified?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

.....but that IS effectively gone for anyone who is on one of the ships were the LCS are not.

Also, various cruise directors have said that the LCS contract is over and has not been renewed. I suppose it is possible that they could get a group on board under the same terms as a guest performer, but it seems a bit unlikely given that HAL seemed bent on getting out of the contract.

Finally, a classical quartet performing on a large stage has its own issues -- do you recalled if these performances were amplified?

I agree with your first comment. I feel like if we aren't on a Grand Cruise, we're second-class passengers. I don't expect to see LCS on a HAL cruise again. They've had other rotatating entertainments (Cantare) and I never managed to be on a ship when they were.

I've looked ahead at Navigator for my upcoming cruise (Zaandam) and the entertainment is not varied. Granted, 10 days out, the daily programs may not be complete. But I saw nothing listed for the main stage after "origin story" the first night. Entertainment is Ocean Bar Band, who play in Ocean Bar early and in Crow's Nest later. A Classical Duo who seem to repeat the same few programs a lot. I'm hoping this is "placeholder" copy and we'll actually get some variety. And a piano player in Mix. I could be very happy with this if the quality of the musicians is high. If not, I guess I'll be in the Wajang Theater watching "Barbie."

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2