Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

That's a bugger with the US entry shenanigans.  A word with someone high up on the ship, and an explanation of your situation, may result in you and Lady S being allowed to attend together at the earlier time.  That said, you may get a jobsworth Border Control agent that would scupper such a plan!🙄

Just now, TigerB said:

Thanks for the update.🙂

I feel your pain with the theatre situation. I do hope your good lady doesn't also have folk standing behind behind her that think it is okay the hold on to the back of her wheelchair, something that our lass has experienced before.  That is so rude, and always receives an appropriate response from one or both of us.

The mischievous in me, if we had to deal with folk who have no legitimate reason to sit in a wheelchair companion's seat, thus meaning I had nowhere to sit, would be to get our lass to position her chair next to the seat with just enough space for me to stand between her and the offender, in their personal space.  If I was feeling really mischievous I may even be tempted to let one go!🤭

Enjoy your time in Bermuda.

🤣 P&O should really put a sign on the one seat each side where a companion can sit next to their partner in a wheelchair that says “Wheelchair Companion Only”. Unfortunately they just have the standard accessibility symbol on them, like all the other accessible seats, so anyone who uses an accessible seat can sit in them. It’s a particular challenge because of the passenger age profile on Aurora. There are a lot of elderly folk who may have a Blue Badge at home, or use a walking stick, who use these seats. Obviously they are perfectly entitled to do so, but they could easily use the other accessible seats and many would if the 2 seats were clearly marked as for wheelchair companions only. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TigerB said:

That's a bugger with the US entry shenanigans.  A word with someone high up on the ship, and an explanation of your situation, may result in you and Lady S being allowed to attend together at the earlier time.  That said, you may get a jobsworth Border Control agent that would scupper such a plan!🙄

I think you may have to have a word with someone and both attend before you do your trip.  I'm pretty sure attendance is compulsory but it probably won't take them as long to complete immigration for everyone as you are away on your tour.  Hope that makes sense!

40 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’ll try to explain what I meant. I am going on a tour that leaves the ship fairly soon after we arrive. As a result, those of us on early tours will be the first to go through US border control. My wife is remaining in the ship in the cabin, so will not have done this. 

When I return from the tour, there will only be a few hours left before the ship leaves. I am assuming that, at this stage, I will need to take my wife through US border control, but as this may take some time (although, being late in the day I’d hope that queues would be minimal) we will probably only have time to do that and nothing else, so won’t have time to leave the ship (or the terminal, if border control is there). 

My wife would be unable to get her US entry clearance done whilst I am off the ship, as she has a manual wheelchair and needs my assistance. She would also be unable to wait in long queues, hence my thought that I’d assist her to get this done when I return to the ship and it’s much quieter. I will check with reception prior to our arrival in Port Canaveral that this plan will work. 

The problem may be @Selbourne that you may not be allowed back on board until all passengers have been through immigration.

Unless you can arrange for someone else to take her through immigration and then meet her in the cruise terminal after your cruise, you may find it rather difficult.  I think you need to check with the shore excursion team what options you have.

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

🤣 P&O should really put a sign on the one seat each side where a companion can sit next to their partner in a wheelchair that says “Wheelchair Companion Only”. Unfortunately they just have the standard accessibility symbol on them, like all the other accessible seats, so anyone who uses an accessible seat can sit in them. It’s a particular challenge because of the passenger age profile on Aurora. There are a lot of elderly folk who may have a Blue Badge at home, or use a walking stick, who use these seats. Obviously they are perfectly entitled to do so, but they could easily use the other accessible seats and many would if the 2 seats were clearly marked as for wheelchair companions only. 

Yes I must admit to being one of those guilty persons who have in the past used the wheelchair companions seat.

I suffer from Cervical Spondylosis, advanced arthritis of the neck which can be very painful and also disturbs my balance. When in “Pain Mode” in order to be able to sit through the show I have to sit at the very back of the theater and tilt my head forward looking down my nose onto the stage in order to reduce the pain.

On one occasion the only suitable and free seat available which would allow me to do this was the companion seat at the back of the theater, which I took (otherwise miss the show, go back to room and lay on bed). A lady turned up with her husband in a wheelchair, gave me some very nasty looks but did ask if she could leave her husband besides me, so she had to find a free seat nearby which was really no problem for her.

Sorry, I am guilty.

As and addition:

Last December on the Aurora Canaries cruise I tried a different solution to my little neck pain problem.

I picked an aisle seat 5 rows back from the stage, poked my feet into the aisle so I could assume a reclining position and thus band my head forward. Unfortunately I also have a problem with double vision so closed my eyes.

This happened to be during a performance of those two young ladies who play the violin and tend to walk about the audience. One of them spotted me with my eye closed, assumed I was sleeping, crept up on me and played her violin about a foot from my right ear.

Edited by GOQ
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Thankfully we are overnight in Bermuda so it hopefully won’t impact on our visit too much, but I’m rather glad now that, on the spur of the moment two days ago, I booked a full island tour on the basis that I’ll only ever visit once and it’s a place I’ve always wanted to go to. I won’t now have the stress of trying to adapt DIY plans to suit the revised timings. We are berthing at the dockyard and my wife says that she’s not worried about going into Hamilton and is content with just looking around the dockyard area when I return. I’m told it’s quite nice and there’s a bit to see. I just hope that things will still be open when I get back from my tour. I’d be tempted to have dinner ashore (if there’s anywhere suitable in the dockyard area) but apparently Bermuda is ridiculously expensive. 

I think that you will enjoy your tour of the island we enjoyed using a ferry/bus pass and took a fast ferry from the Dockyard to St George the old capital which we found interesting, They have ducking stool but I don't think its used now. We bussed back via Hamilton. crossing from island to island the whole island seemed very well manicured. It's pleasant wandering around the dockyard.

P1180723.JPG

Just now, GOQ said:

Yes I must admit to being one of those guilty persons who have in the past used the wheelchair companions seat.

I suffer from Cervical Spondylosis, advanced arthritis of the neck which can be very painful and also disturbs my balance. When in “Pain Mode” in order to be able to sit through the show I have to sit at the very back of the theater and tilt my head forward looking down my nose onto the stage in order to reduce the pain.

On one occasion the only suitable and free seat available which would allow me to do this was the companion seat at the back of the theater, which I took (otherwise miss the show, go back to room and lay on bed). A lady turned up with her husband in a wheelchair, gave me some very nasty looks but did ask if she could leave her husband besides me, so she had to find a free seat nearby which was really no problem for her.

Sorry, I am guilty.

I really don’t want to start the usual ‘hidden disabilities’ debate that comes up every single time anyone mentions an issue and, as I said in my post, I’m not criticising the passengers. There are plenty of seats marked for accessible use, but only two in the whole theatre allow a wheelchair user to sit alongside their companion. On the newer ships, these seats are specifically designated as companion seats for wheelchair users and it would be helpful if the same could be done on Aurora. As I say, I am talking about just 2 seats. 

Just now, terrierjohn said:

The problem may be @Selbourne that you may not be allowed back on board until all passengers have been through immigration.

Unless you can arrange for someone else to take her through immigration and then meet her in the cruise terminal after your cruise, you may find it rather difficult.  I think you need to check with the shore excursion team what options you have.

Yes I will check. We have quite a few days until we get there. When we did a transatlantic before, New York was our first port of call in the US. We were first off as I’d (deliberately) booked the first tour. We returned mid morning yet people were still queueing to get through immigration until mid afternoon. We didn’t attempt to get back on the ship but I’m sure others did. If not, they would have been waiting shoreside for at least 4 hours.  

Just now, Bill Y said:

I think that you will enjoy your tour of the island we enjoyed using a ferry/bus pass and took a fast ferry from the Dockyard to St George the old capital which we found interesting, They have ducking stool but I don't think its used now. We bussed back via Hamilton. crossing from island to island the whole island seemed very well manicured. It's pleasant wandering around the dockyard.

P1180723.JPG

The ferry from the dockyard to St George’s is supposed to be a summer only service, so not due to operate currently. I guess they may make an exception if a cruise ship is in? Thankfully my tour goes there anyway. 

Does anyone know if US immigration at Port Canaveral is usually carried out on the ship or in the terminal? If it’s on the ship my wife could come down with me when I do mine and I can whizz her back to the cabin before disembarking. If it’s done shoreside (as it was in New York) then that’s not an option. 

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The ferry from the dockyard to St George’s is supposed to be a summer only service, so not due to operate currently. I guess they may make an exception if a cruise ship is in? Thankfully my tour goes there anyway. 

Did not know that, looking at photos we did it on 2 May 16 our second day in Bermuda, You're are currently sailing most of the route although the ferry sails closer to the shore which Aurora can't do due to the rocks

24 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I really don’t want to start the usual ‘hidden disabilities’ debate that comes up every single time anyone mentions an issue and, as I said in my post, I’m not criticising the passengers. There are plenty of seats marked for accessible use, but only two in the whole theatre allow a wheelchair user to sit alongside their companion. On the newer ships, these seats are specifically designated as companion seats for wheelchair users and it would be helpful if the same could be done on Aurora. As I say, I am talking about just 2 seats. 

OK I respect that is your opinion, but when the theatre is full and all the "disability seats" are occupied 

what you are implying is that your need/desire to be next to your spouse/companion/friend overrides/"is more important than" another persons needs.

I did say that it was my only option was to use a companion seat or go back to my cabin.

I also had to push around my late wife in her wheelchair so I know how difficult it can be, but you have each other. Just think of those folks who have to deal with this stuff by themselves.

Just now, GOQ said:

OK I respect that is your opinion, but when the theatre is full and all the "disability seats" are occupied 

what you are implying is that your need/desire to be next to your spouse/companion/friend overrides/"is more important than" another persons needs.

I did say that it was my only option was to use a companion seat or go back to my cabin.

I also had to push around my late wife in her wheelchair so I know how difficult it can be, but you have each other. Just think of those folks who have to deal with this stuff by themselves.

If this continues I shall close this thread. In conclusion I shall say this (not that I should have to justify it). You said that if you couldn’t have got a seat you would have returned to your cabin. Hopefully your condition would still enable you to do this unaided. My wife could not, without my assistance. Her disability is such that she may have a sudden need to use a bathroom and I have to assist her both to get there and whilst there. If I am sat away from her she cannot quietly advise me of this need and you can perhaps imagine the consequences. It is not just a ‘desire’ that some people want to sit adjacent to a full time wheelchair user. Now please let it rest. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

If this continues I shall close this thread. In conclusion I shall say this (not that I should have to justify it). You said that if you couldn’t have got a seat you would have returned to your cabin. Hopefully your condition would still enable you to do this unaided. My wife could not, without my assistance. Her disability is such that she may have a sudden need to use a bathroom and I have to assist her both to get there and whilst there. If I am sat away from her she cannot quietly advise me of this need and you can perhaps imagine the consequences. It is not just a ‘desire’ that some people want to sit adjacent to a full time wheelchair user. Now please let it rest. 

Please don't stop your thread. Even those of us who aren't in your position understand your difficulties. There are 2 seats for folk to sit alongside their companions. If somebody with a different issue wants to use them they should lobby P&O to provide appropriate seats for them. If they can't use the theatre, take that into consideration when deciding what holiday to buy.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I certainly would not want you to close this thread because I have a difference of opinion with you on access to disabled seating.

Many people are getting a great amount of enjoyment from your reports of an exciting 65 night cruise which most of us will never probably never will do. So you know you can't really can't close the thread.

I am following you adventure and trying to work up the courage to do longer cruises, my longest so far has been 16 nights.

I do emphasize with you on your need to take care of your wife, and this will override all, been there , done that, and I know how difficult it can be. 

I promise not to say anymore on any disability issue, I will deal with my own stuff in my own way. I am very sorry if I have offended you. Please continue and I hope you have a wonderful journey.

I will be very interested in your reports on Bermuda, which is a place I have never visited before, and is on my bucket list.

• Like 11

Please @Selbourne continue for all of your followers sake. Just enjoy your fabulous itinerary and don't raise to any bait.

I enjoyed looking up my old Bermuda photos and the memories they brought back, so I am sure that I will enjoy following you over the coming weeks.

I notice that Key West is still on your itinerary, I thought now that there were restrictions on cruise ships docking there. When we were there due to the number of ships we were a good walk from the centre and P&O hired a couple or more Little Trains to act as shuttles which was a novelty.

Keep up the good work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just docking now (0930). The Captain has done really well, as this is earlier than he predicted. Once again, we are all incredibly grateful that he avoided the worst of the weather system. This minor delay is a tiny price to pay and well worth it. 

I have just flagged my concern about US immigration, and how my wife can be dealt with if I am on a tour, with reception. They weren’t terribly helpful but at least I’ve flagged it 6 days before we hit the US. I can see this will be an issue. Watch this space! 

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Just docking now (0930). The Captain has done really well, as this is earlier than he predicted. Once again, we are all incredibly grateful that he avoided the worst of the weather system. This minor delay is a tiny price to pay and well worth it. 

I have just flagged my concern about US immigration, and how my wife can be dealt with if I am on a tour, with reception. They weren’t terribly helpful but at least I’ve flagged it 6 days before we hit the US. I can see this will be an issue. Watch this space! 

I think you might get more sense out of the shore excursion staff, they normally organise the US immigration saga.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Please @Selbourne continue for all of your followers sake. Just enjoy your fabulous itinerary and don't raise to any bait.

It is NOT bait, it is a difference of opinion on a single topic, it is definitely not bait so please don't start stirring. 

I am just as interested in these reports as you are, so please don't start any further accusations.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GOQ said:

It is NOT bait, it is a difference of opinion on a single topic, it is definitely not bait so please don't start stirring. 

I am just as interested in these reports as you are, so please don't start any further accusations.

Let's all agree that its P&O fault for not having enough seats in the theatre to cater for all the various disabilities. Even worse not policing it well enough to ensure that everyone knows the correct protocol.

• Like 11

Again sorry to cause any upset, I really know how difficult it can be.

Perhaps it would be nice if you could ask your wife to contribute a few sentences to your daily report , so we can all see her point of view. 

I often find myself crying when I think of my late wife and what she had do go through, it would be so nice to think your wife is getting enjoyment from life.

@Selbourne you are either more patient or polite than I am when it comes to people talking.  I am more than happy to turn around and ask someone to be quiet and, if that doesn’t work, I can also resort to STFU language.

I regularly go to comedy clubs and post pandemic, it seemed like people had forgotten how to watch something in real life.  A few of the acts I saw stopped their shows and told people to either be quiet or leave.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1