Dress code answered once and for all!!!!

OK, I think this issue has been argued way to much and it can be answered quite easily with the definition of 2 terms. Rules vs Guidelines. RCI has guidelines for what to wear to dinner NOT RULES. It is a suggestion only, and because it is not a rule there is nothing to enforce....Period.

~Jen

Want to bet?

:D :D :D I'm with you.

I know what the OP is saying, though, our last RCI cruise, albeit a short cruise, we were a bit surprised at how people were dressed. And....not just on formal night. Upon embarkation, we saw people in clothing I would not even wear to clean out the garage. Hmmm, I always thought of cruising, or any vacation other than camping as a time to bring out the good stuff.

I don't pass judgement on the people (as individuals) because of their clothing, I'm past that, I get to know the people instead of their clothes. We've had some wonderful table mates in the past who were not dressed to "code" (hate that word!). But, what happened to washing up and putting on clean clothes that are not holey and wrinkled (and, I'm not talking about the kind made with holes)? How about running a comb through your hair? Perhaps brushing and flossing? Perhaps it was because we sailed on a Friday and these folks only bathe on Saturdays?

Of course, if everyone dressed nice, it would not be half as much fun to people watch.

Hey glassmazza -

Just back from Brilliance Panama cruise. Listen & listen good, you can wear just about anything at any time, on any nite, in any restaurent. PERIOD.:)
LOL - ...Okay, so what happened and how were the worst offenders dressed!? ;) :)

Hate to disagree with you but last week on Serenade I sat near the entrance to the dining room and saw them turning people away who weren't dressed appropriately.

What do you mean by inappropriately? Because I was on the same cruise and saw shorts in the dining room every night! So not everyone was turned away!

What do you mean by inappropriately? Because I was on the same cruise and saw shorts in the dining room every night! So not everyone was turned away!

I saw people in shorts being turned away down on deck 4 at late seating. And I was especially happy when they turned away the 2 girls who tried to come into the dining room for dinner in their swimsuits.

As to the food and entertainment. The food was great! We only went to a couple of the shows, the production shows, which we thought were great. My best friend did go see the comedian the first night and left because he wasn't good. Quest was amazing (I won!!) as was Love and Marriage.

Damned inconsiderate. I mean how long would it have taken to pull on a pair of jeans??;)

Alan

:D :D :D I'm with you.

I know what the OP is saying, though, our last RCI cruise, albeit a short cruise, we were a bit surprised at how people were dressed. And....not just on formal night. Upon embarkation, we saw people in clothing I would not even wear to clean out the garage. Hmmm, I always thought of cruising, or any vacation other than camping as a time to bring out the good stuff.

I don't pass judgement on the people (as individuals) because of their clothing, I'm past that, I get to know the people instead of their clothes. We've had some wonderful table mates in the past who were not dressed to "code" (hate that word!). But, what happened to washing up and putting on clean clothes that are not holey and wrinkled (and, I'm not talking about the kind made with holes)? How about running a comb through your hair? Perhaps brushing and flossing? Perhaps it was because we sailed on a Friday and these folks only bathe on Saturdays?

Of course, if everyone dressed nice, it would not be half as much fun to people watch.

This reminds me of some of the people we saw on our Enchantment cruise last year. While the majority of people knew how to dress decently, there was this group of people who constantly looked as if they had rolled out of bed, put on stained, wrinkled and grungy clothes (we saw a pair of shorts that looked like they could have walked by themselves), bypassed the shower and a comb, and set out for the day. Period. I'm not talking about teens, I'm talking about a group of families. It was odd.

Was that you in the short white dress on your hands and knees up on stage barking like a dog? Next time, wear pants! Wasn't a pretty sight from our angle.

HAHAHAHA that will go down in the cruise critic classics :D

Just back from Brilliance Panama cruise. Listen & listen good, you can wear just about anything at any time, on any nite, in any restaurent. PERIOD.:)

........a thong bikini?

........moon boots?

....... a Darth Vader costume?

Was that you in the short white dress on your hands and knees up on stage barking like a dog? Next time, wear pants! Wasn't a pretty sight from our angle.

Believe me if I had realized I would be doing that, I wouldn't have worn a dress!

Hate to disagree with you but last week on Serenade I sat near the entrance to the dining room and saw them turning people away who weren't dressed appropriately.

My experience was the same on Serenade last year. When we dined in Chops and Portofino's (3 ngihts of 7) we were called by the dining room manager TWICE to remind us that smart casual was "required". I saw them turn away a 20 something guys in jeans, which made me quite happy.

See, a lot of people get tired of these dress code threads, but I actually like them populating the first page of the RCCL board. That's because the folks at RCCL actually do read these threads, and maybe if enough of these posts complain about tacky clothing in a nice dining room, they will start asking more people to dress appropriately.

I'm not talking about jeans, tie-no-tie stuff. I'm talking about dirty, holey, pot-advertising, shorts, wifebeater t-shirts type of clothing.

So, keep these threads coming....I think they might be helping!!

Dress code answered once and for all!!!!

More seriously, that doesn't answer anything at all about the dress code - just about how it was enforced on your cruise.

That's like saying because you saw people driving 75MPH in a 65MPH zone, and the cop didn't stop them, that the speed limit is really 75MPH.

Some days you may be able to drive 75 without a problem, some days (especially if the cops need to get their quota up) you might get a ticket going 68. Either way, it's not the speed limit that's changed, it's the enforcement.

OK, I think this issue has been argued way to much and it can be answered quite easily with the definition of 2 terms. Rules vs Guidelines. RCI has guidelines for what to wear to dinner NOT RULES. It is a suggestion only, and because it is not a rule there is nothing to enforce....Period.

~Jen

There are no RULES about passing gas at the dinner table either...only Guidelines.

My experience was the same on Serenade last year. When we dined in Chops and Portofino's (3 ngihts of 7) we were called by the dining room manager TWICE to remind us that smart casual was "required". I saw them turn away a 20 something guys in jeans, which made me quite happy.

Glad to see it's gone down from three calls to two. Hopefully, if a few more of these threads pop up we can get it down to where you called them.

Guest cvbart

Here how to solve this.

1:Just mind your own business.

2:If you don't like what's going on in the dining room don't go to the dining room. (That's what I am doing)

3:Use the comment card to complain.

4:There are many really upscale cruise lines that might suit your taste.

5:Try to act like your on vacation and have fun:)

Archived