On Board Credit

joyyak

We sail on Saturday (25th). I am seeing that many people call in weeks or months before their sailing date and get "onboard credits" as the room prices drop.

Is it too late to do that 5 days before? We just booked last week, but I notice the balcony rates have already dropped.

If you booked through a TA do you have to have them make that call, or can you call the cruiseline directly? Also, does it jeopardize your room assignment? We were already upgraded to a Deluxe Balcony (unbeknownst to me until I called in!).

Thanks for you words of advice!

Will not likely happen, since you have paid in full.

You can expect this sort of "refund" if the price drops before you make your final payment.

Because, before the final payment, whatever you have paid is fully refundable to you...and the cruiseline wants to keep your booking.

Being so close to your sail date, the price will be dropped, so that the cabins will sell.

Yes, do call. I paid in full when I reserved my cabins and just found out about reduced prices from this group. Called and got a onboard credit for the difference. It doesn't hurt to ever try..... What's the worse they can say? No? If so then nothing has changed and you enjoy your cruise knowing you couldn't have paid less.

Actually, it's never too late. You should always check to see if there has been a rate drop. For one cruise a coupla years ago, I saw an advertised rate well below what my category sold for. I called on a FRIDAY before a MONDAY cruise - and I got a great shipboard credit.

I book directly with a Carnival PVP, and it's easy to keep up with and get shipboard credits.

Usually, what happens (at least w/a Carnival booking) is if you see a lesser rate prior to final payment, they credit your credit card. BUT, if it's after final payment has been made, they will give you shipboard credits.

However, if you have booked with an outside agency, the cruiseline (Carnival, for instance) won't 'interfere' with that booking. You must go through your booking agent, who will contact the cruiseline about the credit.

Ok, well, let me throw this into the mix...

We have already received an "upgrade" to a Deluxe Balcony Stateroom from their Standard Balcony. This, I found out when I called the day after booking to check our room number.

Would checking on a rate change jeopardize our upgrade: i.e. might they move us back to a standard balcony/obstructed view/ whatever they want??

Just some thoughts...

We are counting the hours until Saturday!!

Will not likely happen, since you have paid in full.

You can expect this sort of "refund" if the price drops before you make your final payment.

Because, before the final payment, whatever you have paid is fully refundable to you...and the cruiseline wants to keep your booking.

Being so close to your sail date, the price will be dropped, so that the cabins will sell.

quote.gif

I paid in full when I made my reservation several months ago. I called YESTERDAY, and they refunded me $600. Yes, refunded to the credit card, not as a shipboard credit.

I'm guessing it depends on the policies of whichever cruise line you are with, but you should DEFINITELY call. I wasn't going to call, and I would have been out $600!!!

It sounds to me that if you do not like the first answer you got, call back until you get the right answer... i.e. on board credit.. because I have been reading this form for awhile and there is no black and white answer! Very frustrating:eek:

Archived