LIVE! HAL Oosterdam 1/7-1/29 South America & Antarctica—Let’s Cruise!

WOW!

Our first glacier was magnificent. Ed said that we’ll take 2,000 photos of this glacier then erase them all when we get to Antarctica 😂

Here are a few of my 2,000 shots (well, maybe 1,000 😂).

The bow was 4 people deep so I gave up and went to the Promenade on 3 and then my cabin as the boat spun around.

Glacier Alley will be on the Port side so I’ll be out on 3 for that in 2 days.

IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4670.jpeg

IMG_4721.jpeg

IMG_4663.jpeg

IMG_4694.jpeg

IMG_4669.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Internet is much better this morning.

We went up to Lido to Buffet for some more coffee and small bite.  Packed.  Went to MDR for same. Huge line.  I ended up getting a quick bite from bread station (no line) and coffee and we are out in enclosed pool area—cooler than rest of ship, but fine with a thermal!

Lovely views and got a nice photo of another ship going by.

Windows are quite streaked and dirty, but given the weather in this part of the world, not a big deal.  If I can position my iPhone sensor on the clean part of the window, a photo is still possible.

IMG_4727.jpeg

IMG_4733.jpeg

IMG_4729.jpeg

IMG_4730.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 7

On 1/5/2024 at 5:14 PM, TravelBluebird said:

Brain cells unfortunately were needed to check into our room at the Sheraton Santiago.  Even though we had called the front desk to let them know to hold our room for an t Jan 5 arrival (booked room Jan4 to 7) they couldn’t find our reservation!  I looked on my Bonvoy app to find that our room had been cancelled as a no show!  

They reinstated the reservation, and we got a lovely free room upgrade to a beautiful Superior room with GREAT views!  VERY comfortable bed, and we went right to sleep!

Thank you for a great review, did you stay at Sheraton Santiago Hotel & Convention Center? Or Four Points by Sheraton, Santiago?  We’re thinking of changing hotels, but unsure which Sheraton to book. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, container said:

Thank you for a great review, did you stay at Sheraton Santiago Hotel & Convention Center? Or Four Points by Sheraton, Santiago?  We’re thinking of changing hotels, but unsure which Sheraton to book. 

We stayed at the Sheraton Santiago Hotel & Convention Center.

5 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

5 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Thank you 🙏 

21 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Some people saw dolphins; I did not.

Two birds today. Can anyone identify them? the bird with the white beak was very large:

DSC_6024.jpeg

DSC_6063.jpeg

Nice pictures!! The first one might be a white-chinned petrel and the second one close to the water might be a Brown Skua, both of which have been known to visit the Ushuaia area. My source is this link.

51 Common Birds That Live Around Ushuaia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Nice pictures!! The first one might be a white-chinned petrel and the second one close to the water might be a Brown Skua, both of which have been known to visit the Ushuaia area. My source is this link.

51 Common Birds That Live Around Ushuaia

@Ken the cruiser Thank you for the ID info AND the very helpful link! 

• Like 1

Ship wreck in the rain at 4:45ish Then Salsa class-excellent—in Rolling Stone Lounge.  After that  $5 aperitif Fashionista Martini for $5 for Happy Hour.

At dinner!  Had a reservation tonight-you need to do them at LEAST a day in advance unless you want to eat very late or stand in the line.

IMG_4821.jpeg

IMG_4827.png

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 5

Dinner tonight was again lovely, This chef is hitting it out of the park with both menus and flavor. Do all the Holland America ships have such good cuisine?

I’ll post photos tomorrow. I’m trying to upload my next video and it is so SLOW. I wanted to upload it the first two nights but could not due to NO internet, so I guess I’ll take slow.  

Tomorrow we go to Isla Magdalena to see the penguins! I’m VERY excited. It is extremely early; we meet our group at 7:15am (but, as mentioned above, I’m glad we are not the first group at 6:15 am!!)

• Like 4

@TravelBluebird

Holland America is #1 Food in Mainstream cruise lines according to this article by US News & World Report (the article is recent). Hubby and I have been on a total of eight different cruise lines and we concur that Holland America is best food.

https://travel.usnews.com/features/cruise-lines-with-the-best-food

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NorbertsNiece said:

If you can't get to the bow rail because of the crowd head up to 9, walk down the side of the gym and go outside there, though not when it's windy!!! Fab view.

A great tip indeed! 💕

9 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

@TravelBluebird

Holland America is #1 Food in Mainstream cruise lines according to this article by US News & World Report (the article is recent). Hubby and I have been on a total of eight different cruise lines and we concur that Holland America is best food.

https://travel.usnews.com/features/cruise-lines-with-the-best-food

That is great news! My waist line is in definite danger this cruise!

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 1

NorbertsNiece, I’m assuming that that map shows the position of the tender dock at Punta Arenas. Last time we went there we were docked near the ship museum on the edge of town. That dock looks much nearer to the town centre I think, am I right?