LIVE! HAL Oosterdam 1/7-1/29 South America & Antarctica—Let’s Cruise!

I have to mention what a great job our room stewards Aris and Tari are doing. They keep making sure Russ doesn’t need anything; bringing him ice for his rib/back when needed; they just came by and hand delivered The Daily for tomorrow; got us new towels and took the trash.

Really grateful for them today!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Loving your pics.... am just now getting over the cough I picked up in the Crow’s Nest..... please be careful when it's crowded   .... x

@NorbertsNiece I am being super careful, and Russ was pretty careful before, but its hard to stay away from the cruise cold once it starts.  Glad you are getting over your cough!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I am L🧡VING your iceberg pictures  - haven't seen a single "weird white balcony thing" in any of them - you're doing a great job!! I am sure your balcony door is getting a workout!

Hope Russ doesn't mind all the in/outs - tell him we appreciate it and hope he feels better soon.

@Haljo1935 Thank you! There is one corner where the white things are shorter, and I aim there and have basically just packed away my wide angle; mostly using the telephoto lens! Its a bit more of a problem for the videos, but I’m trying to take more of those from Promenade and the Bow.

Right now the balcony door is whistling from the high wind, so no work out for it tonight!

Russ loves the ins and outs of the door—he thinks I keep the room too warm 😂 He says thank you, and he’s not gotten worse today so hopefully he’ll turn the corner now.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, gadabout60 said:

On the subject of Antarctic and Arctic exploration can I recommend Erebus by Michael Palin. Read this for my book group and was fascinating 

Thank you—that looks fascinating! I shall add it to my growing Antarctic related reading list!

I was in the Company Men - The Ultimate MixTape Experience show at Main Stage theatetr.

Evidently, the captain came on with an update. My DH is not much of a journalist. I asked him what the captain said, DH said something like this:  snow. big winds. storm. stay here.

You can’t see a thing outside, it’s snowing, and we are hitting a few bumps or perhaps wind gusts.  

As I expect to lose internet soon, good time to read a book! If things go well tomorrow, 7am (perhaps) in Lemaire Channel).

IMG_3453.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Definitely getting some good ship shudders and creaks!  We are evidently staying put, as in not moving. Was hard to figure out since I can’t see anything much out the balcony window.

The Company Men show was excellent.  4 male singers, they say its like Motown meets a boy band, and that is a decent description. They do song mashups with good harmony and dancing.

The tenor had a crazy high voice!  The bass guy also very good. Good energy, well-known songs spanning 8 decades, and LIVE MUSIC!  I’m always happy when a show does not have canned music.

IMG_6993.png

IMG_6991.png

IMG_6990.png

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Hogladyrider said:

@TravelBluebird...your DH journalism degree is called "man talk".....You know how it goes Men Are From Mars  etc etc.

What a life time experience you are having this cruise, I know I say that over and over but it doesn't happen often for sure, very happy for you!

😂 re man talk. So true.

Truly is an incredible experience so far! I’m excited to see what tomorrow will bring!

9 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

None of these photos are processed, and all are iPhone photos. They NEED processing; sorry to basically be showing you the “negatives” but I don’t know when I’ll lose my internet again!

Just curious what you mean by "processing"?  Do you mean just some simple cropping, or something else?  Most of your photos, especially the ones taken while outside, are excellent.

1 minute ago, Torquer said:

Just curious what you mean by "processing"?  Do you mean just some simple cropping, or something else?  Most of your photos, especially the ones taken while outside, are excellent.

Cropping and a bit of color correction—the whites and blues of the ice and snow are much “grayer” than what my eye has been seeing, even with exposure compensation in camera.

And thank you! I think the exposure compensation has helped quite a bit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RosieCanberra said:

@TravelBluebird I'm loving this thread!

Does HAL supply binoculars in the cabins or only suites? We have a VD balcony booked. 

Not @TravelBluebird but my experience is they're only in suites. I've only had them in Signature Suite and Neptune Suite. OP may have a different experience.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Not @TravelBluebird but my experience is they're only in suites. I've only had them in Signature Suite and Neptune Suite. OP may have a different experience.

@Haljo1935 that is correct. Suites only; none in our room. We brought our own binoculars, but they are not good enough for Antarctica. They are also selling binoculars in the Photo area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The weather is better but still very windy. None of the front of the ship is opened today.

We cannot do Lemaire Channel, which is a bit of a disappointment for sure, but captain needs to keep us safe. 

The plan is Neumayer Channel, Cuverville Island, Paradise Harbour and I think Neko Harbour, all weather permitting.

Technical difficulties in Crows Nest with narration.  We’ve heard a bit about birds this morning and our course, on the bow camera channel in the room.

Russ’ cold is a bit better, but his rib is not. I still seem to not have caught it; I can’t believe it but am SO happy.

Today no color correction needed—everything is white, grey and black, which our expedition leader Graham says is typical for this time of year.

IMG_3459.jpeg

IMG_7023.jpeg

IMG_7016.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 11

We sheltered in Bismark strait last night. 

Graham said we saw Humpback whales including one breaching (not me) and the cute Adelie penguins—seriously thinking about buying one of those stronger binoculars from photo shop in case we run into penguins at that distance again. 

• Like 4

Saw penguins swimming by (no photos; happened fast!) and a whale—may have a photo of the whale tail on the Nikon.  Some people on port side this morning saw penguins going by on an iceberg. 

Not as windy as yesterday on the bow but they say winds are picking up so decks 5,6 and 7 front is closing as a bit of a wind comes through.

Heading to Paradise bay for a brief stop.

• Like 4

Good morning, if you get a chance would you tell us what strength of binoculars you have and what you are considering buying. I don’t want to pack mine if they aren’t strong enough. Thanks so much. 

42 minutes ago, justlivin said:

Good morning, if you get a chance would you tell us what strength of binoculars you have and what you are considering buying. I don’t want to pack mine if they aren’t strong enough. Thanks so much. 

You took the same thought I had. If I need stronger binoculars, I will get them for our cruise.

What a beautiful morning in Paradise Bay!

We saw penguins swimming, sea lions swimming, humpback whales (those photos to follow later).

The scenery was beautiful—gorgeous, mountains down to the water. Snowed a bit. Another cruise ship was in the bay, and there was a research base (I believe Argentinian). Also a CHilean base which we are now passing.

Bow got very crowded so I went to our balcony and then to promenade for a bit.

On our way to Neumayar channel.

IMG_7177.jpeg

IMG_7192.jpeg

IMG_7206.jpeg

IMG_7213.jpeg

IMG_7229.jpeg

IMG_7255.jpeg

IMG_7264.jpeg

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, justlivin said:

When considering binoculars and magnification, you must also consider vibration and ship movement.

On the Bridge of most ships the binoculars are 7x or 8x, with the first number being the magnification. This is a good compromise between getting close enough and the view being blurred by vibration and movement. On a cruise ship, keeping them steady you can go to 10x, without too many issues from vibration.

The 2nd number is the size of the lens, which impacts the light gathering and size. Personally, I have no issues with size, so prefer x50 for use in low light.

Another feature I prefer these days is "Permafocus" which prevents having to continually focus the binoculars. The technology works by having a depth of field of a few feet to infinity. Having had to focus binoculars on the Bridge for too many years, this feature is brilliant. With permafocus you may not get as clear an image, but you never fail to get an image while fiddling with a focus ring.

You should also review the angle of view, which is often quoted as being so many feet at 1,000 yds. A higher angle of view makes it easier to spot smaller objects.

Other factors to consider are the prisms - Bak 4 or Bk 7, with Bak 4 having higher quality images, but generally being more expensive. If you wear glasses, you should also consider the specifications for eye relief.

When considering higher power binoculars, you must also be aware of the exit pupil, which is the lens size (2nd number) divided by magnification. A low exit pupil size provides darker images in low light.

Therefore, when considering binoculars, you have way more to consider than magnification.

Personally, I use 10x50 Permafocus binoculars with a 7.5 angle of view, giving almost 400' at 1,000 yds. I also have 12x50 and have also used them on board ships, but I used binoculars on the bridge for over 35 yrs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6