How easy is it(Excursion question)

JackieH

How easy is it to find things to do if you do not book excursions?

We are going on the Valor in Aug.(Western Caribbean)...We have 3 kids, the youngest being 2 at the time we travel. I am aware we will be limited on what we will do. The only excursion we are planning on is the Stingray one in Cayman islands. WIth the other 3 ports, I am wondering what we will do. We do all love the beach, but I was wondering do they just have people standing around offering different tours, although you have not booked ahead of time? I know many people say just get off and walk around, hang out on the beach and all. I was just curious about other options if you do not book excursions. Any help would be great.

If you are going to Roatan, I highly suggest booking a tour to Tabyana Beach. There is NOTHING at the port at all and I wouldn't want to get off the ship and take a taxi. It is quite a ways from the port on a windy, dirt road. I would not want to take my chances getting back to the ship. It is a very poor island and cars/taxis are a premium. I'd book it thru the ship if I were you.

Your kids will LOVE the stingrays in Cayman. Great choice. Just watch your time, we were there for only 6 hours or so and the traffic back was horrid. I was getting pretty nervous.

For Belize, there's not much at the port either except shopping and I've heard it's not as safe outside the gates as it once was. When we were there in 2004, one of the hotels allowed cruise ship passengers to use their pool, so that's what we did (we had kids along too).

What is your other port? Cozumel?? If so, you'll be fine getting a taxi to a beach. The port area is full of cars/taxis and is very busy. We did Passion Island and it was wonderful.

Archived