Hilo Explorer on Pride of America

UnbridledEnthusiasm

Posted (edited)

Lived in Hilo so don't need any recommendations (no disrespect)...I figure I will just Uber/Lyft or the hop on hop off bus but saw with my $50 excursion credit that I can take the Hilo Explorer excursion for $30 which might be kind of nice. I was planning to go to Carlsmith Beach Park and maybe to walk around the gardens (not a deal breaker). Is the Hilo Explorer a hop on hop off (which I would want) or is this an actual tour where you have to stay with a group with a designation pick up/drop off location and time?

The description on NCL's website says:

OVERVIEW

Stroll through the largest Edo-style ornamental garden outside of Japan and enjoy hours of free time browsing the shops and farmer’s market near Hilo Bay. To reach Liliuokalani Gardens, you will travel down Banyan Drive, a sun-dappled street lined with banyan trees that celebrities such as Babe Ruth and Amelia Earhart planted. More botanical treasures await you within the gardens, which is named for Hawaii’s last reigning monarch, Queen Liliuokalani. It opened in 1917 as a tribute to the many Japanese immigrants that worked Hawaii’s sugarcane fields. While meandering through the serene setting, you will notice that nearly every plant is indigenous. They include species such as the rosy trumpet tree and the towering kukui, the national tree of Hawaii. Later, you will independently explore the abundant boutiques, art galleries and marketplaces along the waterfront. There will also be plenty of time to dine on your own if you wish.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Drive down a beautifully shaded street lined with banyan trees that celebrities planted.
• Meander through Liliuokalani Gardens, a botanical oasis with mostly indigenous plants.
• Spend hours exploring Hilo’s main shopping and dining district along the bay.

Have any of you paid for this via NCL? Did they stop at Carlsmith? I would really only want to do it if they include that or my favorite Richardson's. 

Edited by UnbridledEnthusiasm

We did similar tour on NCL in 2022. Vastly disappointing. The so called Japanese garden is just a city park and really underwhelming. Ditto for banyan trees. If you lived in Hilo you should have a better idea of where to go than this tour. Save your money or spend it elsewhere.