Complaint Department

Ribble

Thanks, Karie--I really didn't take offense, I just know the misimpression that Connecticut (and Fairfield County) gives a lot of people. I enjoy the creative sign-offs to your postings.

And to Mufi, I have been to England a number of times, and I have stopped saying "Connecticut" when asked where in the U.S. I am from, because no one over there knows what CT is or where it is. So now I say "just outside of New York" or "a bit north of New York City," and everyone's happy.

Castlewood,

I've lived in California most of my life and no matter where I travel everyone seems to know good ol' California. Well, I moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico two years ago and I've received responses such as:

"Oh yes, and what a lovely country that is also."

"Do you need special immunizations to go there?"

"Oh my, aren't you worried about the hurricane?!?"

(Santa Fe has yet to ever been affected by a hurricane since it is no where even close to the ocean or gulf ).

New York, New Hampshire, New Jersey...the Brits get...but throw in the word Mexico!!! :eek: (Forget even mentioning Santa Fe is the oldest city in the Continental US). Like you, I've pretty much given up. Now I just say we are from the Southwest. :cool:

Try Canada - the barren wasteland to the north. Most people have heard of Toronto (where I am) and Vancouver, maybe even Montreal. Anywhere else and its a blank stare! Just how many people arrive in Toronto and decide they want to rent a car and visit Vancouver for the day or the week! Yeah, right! Good luck on that one since they are on opposite sides of the continent.

BTW, Castlewood, I know of Connecticut. I have a friend who lives there.

Archived