First cruise in a while, a silly question

clydeozzy

My first cruise in ten years is in May, I used to go with my parents as a child/teenager but this will be my first time in a long time and solo as well so I've been researching a lot to prepare myself again.

I'm probably overthinking this, but wanted to get it out there as I can't find any answer to this anywhere which isn't focused on American forms of ID! 

For a cruise we need our passport, which is fine, I've got that. However I've been reading and watching videos (online check in for NCL videos where it gets to the part you put your passport details in and mentions about having another form of photo ID?) that they want another form of government issued photo ID?

I don't have a drivers license (purely because I have never really needed it! And have never learnt how to drive!). Would it be worth applying for provisional driver's license? Does a provisional license count the same as a full drivers license? I've also seen the UK PASS card too, would this count? I've always just used my passport for photo ID/age in the UK.

Do I even need this second form of photo ID or am I overthinking things!

Any help would be appreciated. 😅

I think you need to check directly with NCL to establish what their ID requirements are. No real point in trying to guess what document might work, without that knowledge from the company. 

I've recently been on NCL Epic (Oct 23 - Mediterranean) and was only asked for my passport.

I don't think there is a requirement for an ID and a passport, it wouldn't serve any purpose.

A second form of govt-issued photo ID (driving licence, bus pass, student card etc) isn't required.

But if you're not required to carry your actual passport, losing one of those other forms of ID is waaaay less-traumatic than being stuck abroad without your passport, so leave it in your cabin safe.

BTW it's good practice to sail with a photocopy  or phone image of your passport - often good enough for ID, always makes getting an emergency passport easier.

JB 🙂

Just to answer the other part, I also have no need to drive but got a provisional licence years ago and it's always been accepted wherever a full licence would be. Been really handy to have since it just sits in your wallet rather than being a thing you need to actively think about and take with you, highly recommend.

• Like 1

It's probably to ensure that you have photo ID on you when you get off the ship but the ship is holding your passport (as happened to us recently, when the ship kept our passports for the Greek bit of a cruise that started and ended in Istanbul). 

For example, if a port gate has particularly tight security (perhaps they have a heightened security level for some reason) and wants to check that the name on your cruise card matches you as a person.

You could apply for a free voter's ID card: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-id-voter-authority-certificate

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

It's probably to ensure that you have photo ID on you when you get off the ship but the ship is holding your passport (as happened to us recently, when the ship kept our passports for the Greek bit of a cruise that started and ended in Istanbul). 

For example, if a port gate has particularly tight security (perhaps they have a heightened security level for some reason) and wants to check that the name on your cruise card matches you as a person.

You could apply for a free voter's ID card: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-id-voter-authority-certificate

Thank you for the info and link ! 

• Like 1