Jeeping around Aruba?

AMR40509

I will be in Aruba (Brilliance of the Seas 1/7/07 Sailing) for a relatively long day (7am-1am) and would like to spend the 1st half of the day driving the island.

I've read that the organized Land Rover tours take you to some areas such as Natural Pool that are really worth seeing. I'm not too into organized tours as I don't like to play follow the leader all day.

Is the trail to this area too bad for the rental Jeeps? Are the rentals in good shape (w/ good enough tires) for this, or are they more for people who want to feel like GI Joe driving around in a Jeep but not actually take it anywhere off road. Any certain company (preferably that I can reserve online) that has better equipment?

How about maps, it is pretty easy to find the main attractions (even off the beaten path) using the provided maps, or should I buy a map before I leave for the cruise?

Rented a Jeep a few weeks ago and took it off road.100 bucks with insurance. I have heard people get a Jeep cheaper but I reserved on line and picked up right at the pier.They gave us a decent tourist map.

Went to the lighthouse and natural bridge,but its the journey not the destinations thats the cool part. We had a blast seeing the island on our own.Hope this helps.

http://www.arubaroyal.com/

We rented a jeep in Aruba last Friday, March 17.....rented online ahead of time with Thrifty (you walk down the street to the Renissance Hotel to pick it up.....beautiful walk & gorgeous hotel!!). I agree with the previous poster: it is definately the journey getting places that is the thrilling part. So much fun!! We had a blast going down the dirt trails (roads) looking for places. The map helps but you can't get too lost. We got the jeep & took off down the beach road stopping & looking at Eagle Beach, Palm Beach & on to the California Lighthouse....then following the dirt roads to Alto Vista Chapel, to the Natural Bridge & around the island to Baby Beach. Stopped in Savaneta to see about eating at the Flying Fishbone Restaurant....the place is gorgeous!!! (check out their website).

It really was alot of fun getting out & having this adventure.....so thrilling to experience what I've been reading about for so long!!

Archived