IAH Airport in Houston to Galveston Port

ck1234

I just booked a cruise on the Rhapsody for the Western Caribbean and am booking the airfare separately, on my own. My question is if anyone has advice on hotels, transportation from the airport. We arrive the day before the cruise at 19:30. Should I look for a hotel in Galveston near the port? Any ideas which ones are cheap and have a shuttle to the pier? Any ideas what transportation I should use from the airport? Costs? There are 2 of us going. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Christine.

The fastest way to get the most info is to use the "Search" feature at the top-right of the screen. I put the words "Houston Galveston" in the Keyword(s) blank, then "last month" for time, and "Royal Carribean" over to the right in the forum blank. That returned a page of posts, some as recent as 3-12-06.

Hope this helps.

so far the cheapest way to port is rent a car if there is only two of you, the transfers we have called on started at $125 and up plus tip and any extra bag fees. if you go to "galveston dot com" they have a link to hotels in the area and transfers. Hertz has rentals that can be dropped off at the pier. There are tons of info on that link about the area and things to do and see also.

Hope that helps

I'd consider the shuttle versus the car rental, as some hotels offer free parking for cruise passengers, and they are the older resorts.

The big question is how much do you want to spend? The Holiday Inn Sunspree is new, and right on the Seawall. No hotels in Galveston worth staying in are right on the beach, you need to cross Seawall Blvd.

The nicest place for sightseeing is the San Luis Resort. Much to do around it, good food and a quick ride in a shuttle or cab to the docks. Galveston is a small island, and the options vary. Google Galveston hotels and then decide.

The Galvez is also on Seawall Blvd, and offers free shuttle service to the dock, but it is a older hotel, and the reviews are mixed.

The classiest place to stay is the Tremont House. Imagine a turn of the century building, right in the middle of 1900 era architecture with modern amenities. Pricey, but a few blocks at best to the docks.

Whatever you do, arrrive early at check-in. RCCL has let us board before 1:00 pm and we've never had a bad experience on the Rhapsody.

Come spend some Canadian money in our town, we need the revenue!

Lee in Houston

Just some reference points for your search:

-The Strand is where the cruise terminal is. It's more of an "antique" area of Galveston. Lots of shopping and restaurants. A few hotels, but most are probably a bit on the upper end.

-The Seawall is an area about 5 miles from the strand right on the gulf. They have more hotels that range from discount icky places (for the Spring Breakers) to the very nice (Galvez)

- Hobby Airport - It's about a 30-45 minute drive from Galveston. Smaller airport with less flights, but it's the easiest to get to Galveston. Would not reccommend staying in a hotel around the airport....it is in a bad part of town. The airport is safe, but areas around are not.

-Bush Airport - Our big airport. Sits on the other side of Houston and takes 1-2 hours to get to Galveston. Plenty of hotels, but the transportation will be tricky.

Houston is a huge place geographically. You can drive for 2 hours and never leave the city limits. Traffic during rush hour on the freeway to Galveston can be maddening.

We arrive the day before the cruise at 19:30.
Arriving that late, consider getting an inexpensive airport hotel and spend the night. You'd get into Galveston so late, there wouldn't be much to do, anyway. Have heard Enterprise (maybe Hertz) offers one-way rentals, but one must call direct to arrange.

We were on the Rhapsody out of Galveston the end of January. We flew into IAH and flew out of HOU. HOU is closer to Galveston than IAH. IAH is in the northern part of Houston. You have to go through Houston to get to Galveston from there. HOU is in the southern part of Houston.

I'm sure as you do your research, you'll find out Galveston is not the easiest or cheapest place to get to from either airport. We ended up renting a car from Hertz one way from IAH to Galveston before the cruise and one way from Galveston to HOU after the cruise. It was about $190 total round trip including taxes and drop off fees. Some other posters mentioned that they rented from Enterprise and didn't have to pay the drop off fee. I called them as well and that was not offered to me.

We flew into IAH Saturday, drove down to Texas City, and stayed at a Fairfield hotel right off the interstate for around $69. That would be my suggestion since you're getting into IAH so late. We got up Sunday morning and drove to the pier (about a 25 to 30 minute drive). I dropped the luggage and my wife at the pier around 10:30am, dropped the car off at Hertz, and they shuttled me back to the ship (about a 10 minute ride), and after checking in, we were onboard the ship waiting for the Windjammer to open at 11:30am.

Tim

I've done some research today and found I can choose from a couple of hotels around IAH that is in my price range and has a shuttle to/from the airport. The hotels there were cheaper than anything I saw for Galveston. We really will just want to relax/sleep when we arrive as my day starts off getting up at 5 am to catch a 4 hr. shuttle into Seattle to catch our flight out.

I looked into Galveston Limo that Nancyquilts mentioned here. It didn't look that they had service to Galveston after my arrival time. Was I correct seeing it is $60 per person return trip? Does anyone know if I would have to return to the airport in the morning to get picked up or do they pick up at hotels?

Also, on return, would it be reasonable to think I would be off the ship in time to get a 10:00am pickup from Galveston Limo to return to IAH?

Thanks again for all your ideas & help!!!icon7.gif

We went to the airport for the transfer - I don't know if they go to the hotels - I doubt it, altho' we did stop at one hotel half way to Galveston. Coming back from the cruise, one time we took a van that was waiting at the pier, and one time there was a bus. When we left the pier we veered right and kept asking until we got to the van about half a block away. When it was full, it left for the airport. There were several there - if they know when you are coming in there will be transportation for you (IMHO). Nancy

Was I correct seeing it is $60 per person return trip? .... return to the airport in the morning to get picked up or do they pick up at hotels?

off the ship in time to get a 10:00am pickup ... to return to IAH?

Price is correct, yes on pick-up back at IAH, and off by 10am is almost assurred.

I used Galveston Limo, too. They took us to our Galveston hotel for $85 RT total for the two of us (cheaper since it was one adult and one child ... RCCL didn't offer any discount for child rate). When we got off the Splendour, I asked a porter for help rounding up our luggage and finding Galveston Limo. He was very sweet and knew exactly where to go to find our van -- well worth the tip I gave him. Even though the web site says 10:00 a.m. departure, they are waiting at the pier at 8. We were en route to the airport by 8:30.

Arriving that late, consider getting an inexpensive airport hotel and spend the night. You'd get into Galveston so late, there wouldn't be much to do, anyway. Have heard Enterprise (maybe Hertz) offers one-way rentals, but one must call direct to arrange.

WE stayed at the Airport Marriott. Its connected to the airport and you take an underground train to the lobby.

As for transportation. Its complicated. Enterprise wanted to charge me a drop off fee. And the only thing they had available for the return was a 4 Wheel drive that was really expensive. We ended up just using a limo service. Not cheap, but very easy and stress free. Also our plane got into Houston 3 hours later then scheduled, so we were really glad to be staying at the airport Marriott. The transportation was the only negative for sailing out of Galveston. the cruise would have to be a really good deal for me to do that again. Its such a long drive. :( IF you are sailing the Rhapsody, you will love her. very nice ship.:)

I had to wait for a payment to post to my credit card before I could book the flight, and the 2:30 flight I had leaving out of IAH was now sold out, so my only other choice was a 12:05pm flight. Do I need to get my travel agent to request me to get early departure now? Am I cutting it close? I am in a serious panic now!!!!!!

I just booked a cruise on the Rhapsody for the Western Caribbean and am booking the airfare separately, on my own. My question is if anyone has advice on hotels, transportation from the airport. We arrive the day before the cruise at 19:30. Should I look for a hotel in Galveston near the port? Any ideas which ones are cheap and have a shuttle to the pier? Any ideas what transportation I should use from the airport? Costs? There are 2 of us going. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Christine.

Hi! We are from Alberta cruising on Splendor April 15th. This is my second cruise out of Galveston. I would recommend that you use Galveston Limosine Shuttle from the airport and head down to the island for the night to enjoy waking up to the ocean in the morning! We stayed at the Best Western the first time but will try an upgrade this time. For us, the few extra dollars spent on the shuttle (over a rental car) beats the stress of driving in unknown territory, and the extra money on a Galveston Hotel gets us to the ocean sooner! http://www.galvestonlimosine.com:)

We are sailing the Rhapsody soon and I think we're all set precruise, but I still can't decide exactly what to do on the day of debarkation. Our flight home is out of IAH at 12:21pm. I am well aware that is cutting it very close. Has anyone out there ever had a flight this early from IAH? If so, what did you do for transport from the pier. I know we can carry our own luggage off the ship, and I suspect we'll opt for that. We dock on a Sunday, so I hope traffic won't be a huge problem. Just can't decide exactly how to get from the pier to the airport FAST!!

Anyone with advice?

Hello. A group of us are sailing on Rhapsody on 10/22. Right now, we have a rental car booked through Enterprise. If you will be renting a car (either from IAH or HOU), is it better to :

- keep the car for a week, leave parked at the hotel, then drive back to airport after cruise

- pickup from airport, drive to galvestonm, drop off at rental car place in galveston, go on cruise, then rent a car to go back to airport

I had read that you cannot drop off vehicles at the Galveston car rental terminals. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I had read that you cannot drop off vehicles at the Galveston car rental terminals. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

We rented from Hertz. They have an office about a 5 to 10 minute drive from the cruise terminal where you drop the car off. I dropped my wife and luggage off at the terminal and took the rental to their location. They brought me back to the terminal and it was about a total of less than 30 minutes from the time I dropped my wife off to the time they dropped me off.

Upon return, Hertz does have a counter in the Carnival terminal. We walked down there after getting off the Rhapsody, and they have cars onsite at the terminal. We just hopped in one and drove to HOU for our trip home. Total for two one way rentals... approx $190. Amount of fun we had on the cruise... priceless.

Tim

Do I need to get my travel agent to request me to get early departure now? Am I cutting it close?
Must assume you're referring to departure from the ship. If so, that's up you to relay to your cabin attendant so you'll get early debarkation. Even at that, you early flight time is going to be a problem. A cab might be you only option, and they run $135.

Cruisin4Kicks -- thanks for the feedback. Bear with me so I make sure I have this right:

- Rent from Hertz at the airport (either IAH or HOU)

- Drive to Galveston and drop off at Hertz terminal in galveston, the day you leave for cruise.

- After cruise, pick up a new vehicle from the Hertz terminal and drive back to airport.

Is that correct? Then -- you would just need to be sure to have 2 reservations then.

If it only comes out to $190 -- then I'm all for it.

I just got off the phone with both Hertz and Enterprise. Both told me that they do not allow drop off in Galveston - however, you can pick up in Galveston and drop at either Houston airport. The rate quoted by Enterprise for pick up Sunday morning after cruise and return at noon following day was $183.10 YIKES. A few dollars more on Hertz, who also wont let me use free rental day credits due to being one way.

Galveston Limo $30 per person one way from Houston Hobby or $50 RT at preset departure times. And/or taxi approximately $85.

Cruisin4Kicks -- thanks for the feedback. Bear with me so I make sure I have this right:

- Rent from Hertz at the airport (either IAH or HOU)

- Drive to Galveston and drop off at Hertz terminal in galveston, the day you leave for cruise.

- After cruise, pick up a new vehicle from the Hertz terminal and drive back to airport.

Is that correct? Then -- you would just need to be sure to have 2 reservations then.

If it only comes out to $190 -- then I'm all for it.

We went there the end of January. Hertz has two offices in Galveston... one right at the cruise terminal and one about 2 or 3 miles away. They will NOT let you drop the car off at the terminal. They suggest you drop your luggage and any passengers off at the cruise terminal and then drive to their other office. Someone from the other office will shuttle you back to the terminal.

We rented on Saturday from IAH and dropped the car off in Galveston Sunday morning approximately 11:00am. We picked up a car at the cruise terminal on Sunday morning when we disembarked and drove it to HOU. Including taxes, fees, and drop off charges, it was approximately $190 total for both rentals.

I apologize for not remembering the interstate name out of Houston to Galveston, but once you're on it, it's a straight shot. Once you get into Galveston, the signs are very clear how to get to the terminal.

We checked limo services and nobody could match the Hertz price. We did check stretch limos as opposed to bus/van type limo services.

We returned the car to the following Hertz location...

6115 Avenue L, Suite 100 Galveston, Texas,

Mo-Fr 0800-1800, Sa-Su 0900-1300

Phone: 409-741-3595

We picked the car up at the following Hertz location...

Galveston Cruise Terminal

2502 Harborside Drive Galveston, Texas,

Mo-Th-Fr 0800-1600, Tu-We Closed, Sa-Su 0900-1300.

Phone: 409-621-2268

Tim

If there are only two in your party, Royal Caribbean's transfer are cheaper ($90, pp, rt).

I love RCI and am a Diamond member but in the past, I have not had good experiences booking RCI transfers. For a $10 dollar difference ($180 rt RCI transfer vs $190 for two one way Hertz rentals) it's definately a no brainer for me.

Also, just curious, if you're coming in Saturday for a Sunday cruise, will they pick you up on a Saturday? Where would they take you since the ship hasn't arrived yet?

Tim

Archived