Tender times in Alta?

PennyNC

We are booked on the Viking Venus sailing on January 23rd this year and it just occurred to me that our documents show Alta as a tender port. We have a private Shore Excursion booked on night one that will get back to the ship around midnight. We are overnight that night in Port and I thought that would be fine. However, it has occurred to us that we don't know the times that the tenders will run and I'm guessing they don't run all night long. Has anyone been in Alta with tenders that can look at their information and see what the hours they run are? I would much appreciate any information anybody has to share. I don't want to have to worry about canceling last minute because it turns out the tenders stop running at say 11:00 p.m. Thanks!

The e-mail for the Viking Venus is in your final docs.  I would e-mail the ship directly and ask them. They will have the most accurate and up-to-date information about the shuttles. The first sailing of 2024 is underway right now and they may not even have arrived in Atla at this point.

I was on this cruise in January 2022, so I looked back at my Viking Daily for Alta. We docked in Alta that year and also - due to Covid - there were no private tours allowed, so I can't be very helpful. But, the tour we went on left at 8:30 and lasted four hours. It was Hunt for the Northern Lights and we drove well into the interior from Alta and saw incredible aurora. So, lots of other people will be out very late - even on the Viking tours - and the tenders will have to run very late, I would think. I'd still probably ask if I were you to be safe. Good luck seeing the lights! Alta gave us our best view. 😀

Thank you for the replies.  I will remember to report back here after our sailing to let others know what our experience is.  Hoping for the best in terms of weather, aurora sightings and getting back onboard in Alta! 😊

2 hours ago, PennyNC said:

Thank you for the replies.  I will remember to report back here after our sailing to let others know what our experience is.  Hoping for the best in terms of weather, aurora sightings and getting back onboard in Alta! 😊

Please, strand me in Alta Norway... Please! 😁

1 hour ago, FatBoy20 said:

In Alta you are usually docked next to the Airport. The Captain has to get clearance from Air Traffic Control before docking!.

Additionally, the airport and docks are on the other side of the harbor from town. We did have bus shuttle service provided every time we've been in Alta. It really isn't walkable, especially in winter. 

Completely off topic - apologies to those seeking info/insights! Every time I’ve seen the topic title “Tender Times in Alta” I’m thinking that it refers to fond reminiscences of a romantic weekend in Norway, soft focus photos of a beautiful couple staring into each others eyes and probably wearing matching cashmere bobble hats. Again, apologies for my flight of fancy! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2