Danube water levels 2024 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

2 minutes ago, Kenster said:

Blame your cruise line, not river cruises in general. And try someone else next time. I highly suggest Avalon. We gave our sixth cruise booked with them for the Fall.

LabMom is on Avalon for the Blue Danube. 

I expect all lines have the same clauses in the passenger contract or everyone would book on the 1 or 2 lines with guarantees.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CJSANDFS said:

Booked on Avalon View starting June 17. If this is going to turn into a bus tour does anyone know how soon Avalon will know and tell us? I can cancel and get a credit which might be preferable. Does anyone experienced in river cruising know how long the Danube takes to go down after a major flood?

Where are you sailing from? And to? Knowing that it’s important to answer your questions. 

1 minute ago, Izengolf said:

LabMom is on Avalon for the Blue Danube. 

I expect all lines have the same clauses in the passenger contract or everyone would book on the 1 or 2 lines with guarantees.

I know Viking operates in this manner, and I'd expect Avalon similarly.  I've not been effected by water levels before on a river cruise, but my mother and her sister were a few years ago on a Viking Rhine cruise. While they said it wasn't exactly the same, they also did say that Viking did do some pricing adjustments and also gave travel vouchers to apply to discount a future cruise.  Something they were not obligated to do.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goksucats said:

As I pointed out to Labmom57 above.. she is going to be on Avalon Envision I believe the week before we are.  While we are all disappointed at the possible change of plans, I wouldn't immediately discount Avalon's ability to make this worthwhile.  They are a division of Globus International which many consider to be the premiere land-based tour company.  Unlike any other cruise line, I'd have to believe Avalon/ Globus could create something amazing for us if the river doesn't cooperate. 

Here's hoping. This is my first European river cruise.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kenster said:

That’s definitely a Viking standard operation for any disruption. Low water or high.  Kinda sucks. 

Thank you. Sigh.

3 minutes ago, Kenster said:

Where are you sailing from? And to? Knowing that it’s important to answer your questions. 

Sailing from Nuremberg to Budapest after a couple of nights in Prague. Looks like Austria has closed the Austrian Danube to all river traffic but for how long?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Lisa SG said:

Thank you. Sigh.

Viking seemed to take care of my mother and sister when they were impacted by very low water levels on the Rhine a few years ago.  While the journey wasn't the same, they also said Viking did do a good job of making it a fun trip, getting them to interesting places and they also did receive travel vouchers to discount a future cruise.  And they've gone on other Viking river and ocean cruises since.  So it didn't discourage them from doing them in the future.  Keep hope and be positive.  If you go into feeling awful about it you're going to have an awful time.  You get to go to Europe!!  something so many Americans  can only dream of. It should be amazing no matter how you get to see it.  

Edited by goksucats
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, goksucats said:

the food is often not up to the standard that a Viking/Avalon is producing on board.  Truthfully eating locally sounds far more interesting, but I also don't know what kind of restaurants the cruise lines choose

This would be the toughest part for me, much harder than itinerary changes because the ship kitchen is prepared and experienced with gluten-free passengers. It would be stressful to find things to eat in 3 different restaurants a day with foods I'm unfamiliar with cooking. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CJSANDFS said:

Sailing from Nuremberg to Budapest after a couple of nights in Prague. Looks like Austria has closed the Austrian Danube to all river traffic but for how long?

You’ll be sailing well behind the crest. The upper Danube is already receding a bit. Through Vienna, at least, should be open by June 12. You’ll probably be okay. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenster said:

You’ll be sailing well behind the crest. The upper Danube is already receding a bit. Through Vienna, at least, should be open by June 12. You’ll probably be okay. 

Thanks for that. I'm also a bit concerned about what Regensburg and Passau will be like, that is, will the poor residents still be cleaning up the mess from the flooding.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kenster said:

I would assume that also means we should be okay in the reverse from Budapest toward Vilshofen by June 19th.  Fingers crossed

30 minutes ago, Kenster said:

Blame your cruise line, not river cruises in general. And try someone else next time. I highly suggest Avalon. We gave our sixth cruise booked with them for the Fall. 

We are on Avalon.

I just dug into my insurance and Avalon provides cancel for any reason that will give us the funds as FCC. It's a lot to have tied up but better than having to take a week long bus tour.

Just for background, we are experienced ocean cruisers. I know things happen and have had ports skipped due to unforeseen circumstances. What I am not thrilled about from this experience is that the entire cruise is disrupted due to river levels. I had anticipated that later in the year due to low levels, I hadn't done enough research I guess to realize that flooding could take out the entire cruise. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Izengolf said:

This would be the toughest part for me, much harder than itinerary changes because the ship kitchen is prepared and experienced with gluten-free passengers. It would be stressful to find things to eat in 3 different restaurants a day with foods I'm unfamiliar with cooking. 

Especially when you can't even read them or have a clue what they say.🤣 I'm fortunate that outside of a little caution with anything that causes .. ahem.. gas related issues (and I'm eating Sauerkraut in Germany so my stomach is just going to have to deal), I don't have any real food allergies that I know of.  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Lisa SG said:

Sailing out of Passau June 15. Well, hopefully. It is our first river cruise. Fortunately we bought trip insurance and have been told we can cancel at any time. Happy to hear of anyones’s experience filing for insurance or dealing with this circumstance. Apparently Viking will warehouse people on the boats as long as authorities will let them. 

We bought the cancel for any reason as well, and have considered this option too.

37 minutes ago, goksucats said:

As I pointed out to Labmom57 above.. she is going to be on Avalon Envision I believe the week before we are.  While we are all disappointed at the possible change of plans, I wouldn't immediately discount Avalon's ability to make this worthwhile.  They are a division of Globus International which many consider to be the premiere land-based tour company.  Unlike any other cruise line, I'd have to believe Avalon/ Globus could create something amazing for us if the river doesn't cooperate. 

@goksucats -- I like your positivity! I am sure you are right. We actually have a land-based safari booked with Globus in 2025.

We are cruisers because we like that style of travel. I believe you are correct in your outlook. We just have to decide if we want to do that or move to a different cruise date. We are retired, so while it would be a real pain to rearrange everything and move to the June 19 or June 25 cruise, that is definitely a consideration for us so we can experience this vacation as envisioned. We have a lot of money in this one and I really wanted to have the "dream" of cruising down the Danube. 

Decisions, decisions! 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, LabMom57 said:

We are on Avalon.

I just dug into my insurance and Avalon provides cancel for any reason that will give us the funds as FCC. It's a lot to have tied up but better than having to take a week long bus tour.

Just for background, we are experienced ocean cruisers. I know things happen and have had ports skipped due to unforeseen circumstances. What I am not thrilled about from this experience is that the entire cruise is disrupted due to river levels. I had anticipated that later in the year due to low levels, I hadn't done enough research I guess to realize that flooding could take out the entire cruise. 

I’ve been cruising and following the industry since our first trip in 2014. 
I’ve never seen anything like this, affecting large stretches on both the Rhine and Danube.  Lots of low water issues. High water is usually short lived and mostly in Spring snow pack rum off. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, LabMom57 said:

We are on Avalon.I just dug into my insurance and Avalon provides cancel for any reason that will give us the funds as FCC.

Just to be clear to readers, Avalon doesn’t actually provide that coverage. You purchased it. 
Travel insurance, like all insurance, is always a gamble. But it’s certainly a good call this year. 🙂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, goksucats said:

Especially when you can't even read them or have a clue what they say.🤣 I'm fortunate that outside of a little caution with anything that causes .. ahem.. gas related issues (and I'm eating Sauerkraut in Germany so my stomach is just going to have to deal), I don't have any real food allergies that I know of.  

If it’s a group meal, I’m sure Avalon will require menus in English. Sometimes, they will just give everyone a bunch of cash and you go out on your own. Many places will have menus in English. A phone translator app can be very useful.  

• Like 2

Just to be clear to readers, Avalon doesn’t actually provide that coverage. You purchased it. 
Travel insurance, like all insurance, is always a gamble. But it’s certainly a good call this year. 🙂

Thanks for noting that. I should have said the insurance we purchased through Avalon. I never buy insurance through cruise lines, but the Aon Affinity insurance Avalon offered is exceptional.

We always buy travel insurance but this is the first time we may use it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kenster said:

If it’s a group meal, I’m sure Avalon will require menus in English. Sometimes, they will just give everyone a bunch of cash and you go out on your own. Many places will have menus in English. A phone translator app can be very useful.  

All very true Kenster but it is not always obvious where gluten lurks without knowing how to cook each recipe. My river cruise last fall with Uniworld was an incredible experience, can't praise them enough for making it a delicious and worry free holiday. Others with food allergies or specific dietary requirements like diabetes would also struggle compared to the professionals in the ship kitchen taking care of their needs each meal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LabMom57 said:

Agreed. Our cruise is set to start 12 June and I am not thrilled about the possibility of a bus tour instead of a cruise. While I realize the cruise line cannot change what is happening, I would appreciate an opportunity to rebook, which it does not look like I will have. Probably will not do a river cruise again.

Ours is the Envision heading east on June 12. I didn't purchase a bus tour, and honestly, with the boat still stuck in Vienna for the unknowable future, I really wish we could reschedule. Don't want to be soured on a river cruise forever, but my stress level is way too high when it's supposed to be a break. 

• Like 2

Just now, AHMIowa said:

Ours is the Envision heading east on June 12. I didn't purchase a bus tour, and honestly, with the boat still stuck in Vienna for the unknowable future, I really wish we could reschedule. Don't want to be soured on a river cruise forever, but my stress level is way too high when it's supposed to be a break. 

@AHMIowa I just called my TA. She's calling Avalon now to find out what our options are and hopefully find out what they have planned. Since the ship is in Vienna until the 12th, that does seem to indicate it won't be available for us to board on the 12th in Vilshofen!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, LabMom57 said:

@goksucats -- I like your positivity! I am sure you are right. We actually have a land-based safari booked with Globus in 2025.

We are cruisers because we like that style of travel. I believe you are correct in your outlook. We just have to decide if we want to do that or move to a different cruise date. We are retired, so while it would be a real pain to rearrange everything and move to the June 19 or June 25 cruise, that is definitely a consideration for us so we can experience this vacation as envisioned. We have a lot of money in this one and I really wanted to have the "dream" of cruising down the Danube. 

Decisions, decisions! 

Just back it up a week and join us on June 19th!  Of course the flights will have to be changed, etc.  Right now my biggest concern is trying to figure out what to do about our personal extension.  We have the extension in Munich at the end booked through Avalon for the extra two nights.  They are putting us up in the Sofitel Munich Bayerpost which is right next to the main central train station.  After the extension we are going to Paris for a few days before flying home. Currently I have train tickets schedule for June 26th from Munich to Paris, but hearing about all of the travel issues by rail almost has me more worried then the river issues.  And if you look at Munich's long term forecast I swear there is rain in it every #$%^ day for the next 10 days!!!  Ugh.  Three weeks seems like plenty of time for the rail service to be restored in Munich.  And I also can't get a good feel if the Munich to Paris route is impacted, it currently doesn't look like it, but it certainly doesn't help I can't read a #$%^ on Deutsche Bahn's website.  lol.  Any locals have insight on the rail issues in Munich.. I would be deeply indebted cause I'm going crazy trying to figure out if I want to go to the hassle of booking flights from Munich to Paris instead of the rail.  The issue of course being.. the airport is an hour away from the city, flight times kind of are the pits for non-stops, and the train station is a convenient walk out the door from the Munich Sofitel Bayerpost.  

2 minutes ago, LabMom57 said:

@AHMIowa I just called my TA. She's calling Avalon now to find out what our options are and hopefully find out what they have planned. Since the ship is in Vienna until the 12th, that does seem to indicate it won't be available for us to board on the 12th in Vilshofen!

But they could use another ship that is already upriver. 

• Like 1

But they could use another ship that is already upriver. 

Definitely have seen this done before myself, and I've only done one Viking River Cruise. Our 2021 Christmas Markets Rhine river cruise was scheduled to be on the Viking Einar, and we show up and they are putting us on the Viking Sigrun instead!  And there weren't even river issues at that time.